Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gilleran Article

3 posters

Go down

Gilleran Article Empty Gilleran Article

Post by PilotNut Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:33 pm

Credit to the USF Board for finding this article: Sports Illustrated Article on Gilleran's Retirement

A couple interesting quotes from the article/Gilleran (my bolding for emphasis):
"When certain topics are brought up and I found myself cringing because I've had the conversation so many times, that's a clear message,'' he said. "People deserve better than that. They deserve better than I found myself doing.''
Hmmm, yeah time for him to retire.

Gilleran has no idea what's next. He would like to teach sports management or sports law and joked that he might return to WCC games as a fan to "yell at the officials.''
So Gilleran knows how bad the hoops refs are, too? And what has he done about it?

A Seattle native, the 6-foot-5 1/2 Gilleran is a former college forward and three-year letter winner for Seattle University who played one season professionally in France. He worked for the NCAA prior to joining the WCC.
Interesting, with the recent discussions of adding SU to the conference...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Gilleran Article Empty Re: Gilleran Article

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:19 pm

I think the plan is to have his replacement by tournament so they can announce it there.

That's where all the big announcements are made.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:28 pm

Anyone know who the candidates are?

Dick Davey would be a good Commish candidate, IMHO... but I am sure that the conference is looking for someone younger. And I agree that is probably the best way to go.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Gilleran Article Empty New commissioner announced

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:08 am

Jamie Zaninovich Hired As West Coast Conference Commissioner.
You heard it here first. See? those guys are pretty predictable, this showed up 10 minutes after the USD-St. Mary's game.

WCC website

He's a Stanford guy, currently the Senior Associate Athletic Director for External Relations at Princeton University. He got his MBA from Stanford in 2001.

"Jamie has shown an ability to make immediate and significant contributions at every stop along his career path," said Rev. E. William Beauchamp, C.S.C., President of the University of Portland and chair of the WCC President's Council. "With his knowledge of the current collegiate athletics landscape, and specific experience in cultivating a national reputation in the sport of basketball, we are confident that Jamie is the right person to raise the conference profile to unprecedented levels."....

Among his most notable accomplishments at Princeton was negotiating a national television agreement with ESPN, the only such agreement in the Ivy League. He also created a prevalent brand identity for Princeton Athletics and managed a licensing program supported by a national trademark management firm.....

"With administrative experience at two of the most academically respected institutions in the nation, Jamie knows the importance and merit of academics and how student-athletes are an extension of academia," Beauchamp noted. "Our conference prides itself on integrity both in the classroom and in athletic competition, and Jamie is well-versed in both areas."

Seems pretty clear what they were looking for.. the first two paragraphs say it all.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:52 am

More national awareness and face time is all well and good, but we've (the whole wcc) need to step it up on the court.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down