Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Season Ahead

+13
mikemac65
NoPoNeighbor
Pilotpride03
pilots#1
bullwinkle
Kevin
Geezaldinho
wrv
Dean Murdoch
up7587
DoubleDipper
Sound Voltex
brooke_PPFan@proton.me
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Long Season Ahead - Page 3 Empty Re: Long Season Ahead

Post by Snus Junction Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:58 pm

Not we had hoped for … Will NIL, Transfer Portal(s) and”Ccops) —- three College game is over.
Can’t blame players for looking for better opportunities.
Next we will recruit high school drop outs
But he too will be gone soon.
Next year season tickets?
Doubtful.

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2020-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by brooke_PPFan@proton.me Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:49 am

Heading into these next 2 critical games, I hope we find some offensive scheme. 5 guys standing around the 3 pt line (2 of them 6'10 or bigger) is clearly not a game plan.

The numbers don't lie either.. 8 for 44 from 3 in last 2 games and only 14 total assists in last 2 games. No movement at all.

brooke_PPFan@proton.me
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2023-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:42 am

brooke_PPFan@proton.me wrote:Heading into these next 2 critical games, I hope we find some offensive scheme. 5 guys standing around the 3 pt line (2 of them 6'10 or bigger) is clearly not a game plan.  

The numbers don't lie either.. 8 for 44 from 3 in last 2 games and only 14 total assists in last 2 games. No movement at all.

Hmm. Not exactly what I saw. Pilots had 30 points in the paint, and missed several other close shots. But 3P shooting was clearly a problem.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brooke_PPFan@proton.me Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:44 am

Other than T Rob backing a guy down the others were 1:1 layups by Juan and Vuk. One left handed make by V. Those are not designed plays. That’s our guys playing basketball trying hard to overcome Legans on offense and Coach O on defense. It’s why we had only 6 assists or something pathetic.

brooke_PPFan@proton.me
Recruit
Recruit

Snus Junction likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snus Junction Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:33 pm

I don’t know what next year’s team will look like given all the uncertainties around college basketball. But our guys are giving it all they got. St Mary’s is a very good team and Sad to say butwe just can’t compete at that level

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by brooke_PPFan@proton.me Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:38 pm

This is my last post. This team brings out the best in every competitor and the only person to blame is Legans. You guys can keep comparing him to Porter if you want. It’s not NIL. It’s the coach. He’s lost coaches, players, dropped the team GPA to 2.0, and thinks he’s untouchable. He came here ready to leave and now he’s stuck.

You all need to forget PKI. It was 2022. This guy is the worst of all worlds. Take care peeps! Hope Pilots get a guy that can win.

brooke_PPFan@proton.me
Recruit
Recruit

MisterNoone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:40 am

I don’t know if I’m ready to say Legans is a lost cause, but it is certainly disheartening to see the team and program regress in year 2 and even more so in year 3. This weekend’s road trip was an absolute disaster. Sigh.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:18 am

brooke_PPFan@proton.me wrote:This is my last post. This team brings out the best in every competitor and the only person to blame is Legans. You guys can keep comparing him to Porter if you want. It’s not NIL. It’s the coach. He’s lost coaches, players, dropped the team GPA to 2.0, and thinks he’s untouchable. He came here ready to leave and now he’s stuck.

You all need to forget PKI. It was 2022. This guy is the worst of all worlds. Take care peeps! Hope Pilots get a guy that can win.

I’m disappointed you’re throwing in the towel.  It’s nice to have point:counter-point discussions on this board and you’re good at it.  Since this is your last post, it’s only right to give you a goodbye:

Blaming Legans for our dismal state is fair on the one hand as he’s the coach and ultimately responsible, but overly simplistic on the other.  Things happen.  Coaches are like parents.  In spite of all you do, all the structure and support you provide, kids get injured, don’t do their homework, or disobey the rules.  You’re still responsible, but most people see the background and put it in context.  

Looking at the last game, we had three players account for 30% of the playing time.  Those same players had less than 1% of non-conference playing time. As the season was approaching, Legans was truly excited.  He said it was the deepest team he’d ever had.  I don’t think he’d say that today.  I don’t know what happened to Koroma and Jordan, but one is gone and the other might as well be.  Tyler Harris is game to game.  Oosterbroek has barely seen the court.  Chris Austin has games, but he’s not back full time to where he was two years ago.  Context.

Saying it’s not NIL also seems overly simplistic.  From everything I’ve read, there’s not a coach in the country that would say NIL hasn’t significantly changed their job.  It’s the first or second question nearly every recruit asks.  An area that was absolutely forbidden is now a cornerstone of recruitment.   And there’s agents.  And the portal.  And the collectives.  The richer schools have a full time person at the school to liaison with the collective.  And coaches are expected to do fund raising with and for the collectives now.  And there’s the complete lack of oversight by the NCAA.  Recruitment has changed entirely.   It seems like the only truth about NIL is the more money your collective has the easier it goes.  Context.

It’s hard not to compare Legans to Porter.  Porter was his immediate predecessor.  As bad as this year is, it’s still better than Porter’s last three years combined!  Porter was one of the 20 or 25 worst coaches in the entire country over the last 20 years.  You gotta be some kinda bad to get in that record book.  Maybe you just had to be here to appreciate why some of us feel like a comparison is fair game.  Context.

I was thinking about the team GPA.  Is that public information?  Anyway, I was a manager for years and if an applicant came in and said my GPA is only 2, but it’s not my fault - it’s my coach's - they simply wouldn’t get hired.  Players have to be accountable, just like coaches.  

I’ve never talked one on one with Legans.  I listen to him before games, after games, watch him on the sidelines, read articles and interviews with him, and saw him a couple times with the team at the airport.  The impression I get is that he cares deeply about the team, the players, the university.  They all seem like they’re a part of his family.  He doesn’t talk or act arrogantly.  He talks about what went wrong when we lost and says it’s his fault and what they’re going to work on for the next game.  He signed an extension to his contract last summer so he could stay longer.  It just feels like your description of the man’s character is based on our record, not the context of his words or actions.  

I’m certainly disappointed in our season.  And as you’ve said, we seem to bring out the best in every competitor.  It’s damned frustrating.  I’ve gotten so I don’t watch away games live.  We watch them later so we can fast-forward and/or abandon the game without wasting all that emotional energy.  But I’m just not even close to giving up on Legans yet.  I think he’s a good coach and a good man trying his best to get through a bad set of circumstances.  That’s my context.  All the best.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

mikemac65, Geezaldinho, Shadrach, DoubleDipper, Dean Murdoch, Snus Junction, Fox Mulder and Maske like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:52 pm

bullwinkle wrote:

It’s hard not to compare Legans to Porter.  Porter was his immediate predecessor.  As bad as this year is, it’s still better than Porter’s last three years combined!  Porter was one of the 20 or 25 worst coaches in the entire country over the last 20 years.  You gotta be some kinda bad to get in that record book.  Maybe you just had to be here to appreciate why some of us feel like a comparison is fair game.  Context.

It's almost impossible to overstate both how bad Porter was and how much better Legans has been, even for all the struggles this year.  With the win over LMU on Saturday, Legans is 43-53 overall as head coach at UP.  The Pilots could lose their next 50 games, and he'd still have a better record than Porter's 43-104!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-04-28

DoubleDipper and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snus Junction Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:52 pm

I wouldn’t ordinarily know a good coach for a bad coach but I do know that Terry was a bad coach
Legans is in an impossible situation: he has seven players he can count on and they are “the magnificent seven“ The University of Portland has an impossible job recruiting good players under existing NCAA “no rules” policy And I admire him for what he has been able to accomplish.
So kudos to Legans he has done a very good job under extenuating difficult circumstances And I am Proud of this team they played outstanding basketball – smart basketball – against both Santa Clara and LMU
Go Pilots!!

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

DoubleDipper, Fox Mulder and Maske like this post

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3