Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next?

+21
mikemac65
Sound Voltex
bdaddy
ExpatPilot
DTLegend
lomiton
NoPoNeighbor
Woodless 2.0
GoPilots19
Rob's Jacket
wrv
SoCalPilot
Snus Junction
dholcombe
VillaGorilla
Dean Murdoch
nextchapter
writerpilot
Geezaldinho
StudentPilot
DoubleDipper
25 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next? - Page 6 Empty Re: Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next?

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:25 am

GoPilots19 wrote:https://twitter.com/willmaup/status/1374053015137579010?s=20
Can always count on the Spokane based take to be a damp blanket 🙄

Edit: After the 1st tweet he then defended the job against those calling it a downgrade serves me right for being reactionary haha
Yeah, Will Maupin, originally from Portland, is a very knowledgeable basketball guy (he's currently at the Tournament) and I often respect what he says.

Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next? - Page 6 Screen62
When he speaks of the culture at UP he is not wrong, but there is a hidden fan-base and administration ready to bust-out and support the Pilots, and Shantay is the guy to bring that out and capitalize on it.

Yes, we all know EWU cares about hoops, and it will be more difficult to get fans riled-up in Portland where there is more than only EWU or Spokane on a Saturday night, and the WCC is much a much tougher conference than the Big Sky (KenPom rates the WCC #8 and the Big Sky #19), so success won't be overnight...but I am convinced Shantay is the guy who can make it happen.

I'm quite sure all who watched EWU play Kansas on Saturday loved what they saw from EWU and wish that program well in the future, and hope their AD elevates Whitworth grad David Riley, the associate head coach, to the top job, but I would also like to see Shantay bring assistant Bobby Suarez, a Florida Gulf Coast grad, with him to Portland.

Shantay is on the ESPN "40 Under 40" list, and those two assistants were on the National Association of Basketball Coaches "30 Under 30" list.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11264
Registration date : 2011-11-03

GoPilots19 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next? - Page 6 Empty Re: Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next?

Post by bdaddy Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:35 am

I had a feeling this was going to be the outcome when DD made the statement last night about being confident UP would hire a D1 coach with a winning record. I’ve learned to pay attention when that guy makes predictions. They are usually based off of something more than a gut feeling. Along those lines, DD also alluded to the idea that Legans might be able to convince the Groves brothers to follow him to UP. I’d be VERY interested if there is anything to that. Those two would make this team immediately competitive in the WCC and would take this from being a great hire to a home run. Either way, it should be an interesting off-season for us to track how Legans fills out the rest of his staff and the roster. I’ve got an exciting feeling about UP basketball again! It’s kinda nice.

bdaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:51 am

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/mar/22/following-ncaa-tournament-berth-shantay-legans-lea/

Shantay Legans is leaving Cheney.

Eastern Washington’s successful men’s basketball coach has accepted the same position at the University of Portland, the 39-year-old confirmed, on the heels of the Eagles’ third NCAA Tournament appearance.

Nearly 48 hours after No. 3 seed Kansas erased a double-digit, second-half deficit to beat No. 14 seed EWU 93-84 on Saturday in Indianapolis, Legans broke the news to his team in a Monday morning meeting.

Legans replaces former Portland Trail Blazers star and ex-NBA head coach Terry Porter, who was fired after posting a 43-103 mark in five seasons.

The Pilots – a West Coast Conference member with the likes of NCAA Tournament regulars Gonzaga, BYU and Saint Mary’s – haven’t had a winning season in conference play since the 2009-2010 season.

Portland hasn’t reached the NCAA Tournament since 1996.

Legans, who has helped develop four Big Sky Conference MVPs in five seasons, believes he can attract similar under-the-radar talent to Portland and turn the Pilots into a winner.

The former California point guard’s wide-open, 3-point-heavy system helped EWU reach three straight Big Sky Conference Tournament championship games, win a conference regular-season title in 2020 and reach this year’s NCAA Tournament.

Legans won 60 of his 82 games against Big Sky Conference opponents. He was formerly an assistant under Jim Hayford before Hayford left EWU for Seattle University in 2017.

This story is developing
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:01 pm

bdaddy wrote: DD also alluded to the idea that Legans might be able to convince the Groves brothers to follow him to UP. I’d be VERY interested if there is anything to that.
I should probably strike what I wrote about the Groves' while drinking beer and watching tape of the game...

They are Spokane Valley kids with deep roots in the region and I would really rather they not break EWU's collective heart and leave Cheney.  

As much as I think they could be competitive in the WCC and help the Pilots, I regret making that comment and wish the Groves brothers well in Cheney.

However, all coaches, including Coach Legans, are going to have to get all over the transfer portal in an attempt to bring in new players.  It has always been important for a coach to have good ties to the high school and JUCO coaches to facilitate recruiting, but this is the year it is going to be all about transfers.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:17 pm

Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next? - Page 6 Screen63

Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next? - Page 6 Shanta13
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:51 pm

Ben Johnson is going to coach Minnesota

...no, not former UP assistant coach Ben Johnson, but Xavier assistant coach Ben Johnson.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:13 pm

Just landed back in Portland after a week in PR, anything going on??

Congratulations to Shantay Legans and UP for getting it done...and thank you PilotNation for perhaps planting the seed.

From what I've read here, Coach Legans seems to be the type of coach the guys will want to play for.

It will be interesting to see how many transfers UP can snag and how many of the UP players who are already in the transfer portal Legans and his staff will say goodbye to.

Nothing "official" from the university yet? scratch
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:06 pm

StudentPilot wrote:Just landed back in Portland after a week in PR, anything going on??

Congratulations to Shantay Legans and UP for getting it done...and thank you PilotNation for perhaps planting the seed.

From what I've read here, Coach Legans seems to be the type of coach the guys will want to play for.

It will be interesting to see how many transfers UP can snag and how many of the UP players who are already in the transfer portal Legans and his staff will say goodbye to.

Nothing "official" from the university yet?  scratch

Virtual press conference scheduled for tomorrow, per The Beacon.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:39 pm

Here you go:
"My family and I couldn't be more excited about this opportunity at the University of Portland," Legans said. "Through the process, I had a chance to get to know Scott, Jason and Father Mark, as well as members of the Board of Regents, and get a feel for their vision for the future of the UP men's basketball program. Not only did our philosophies and values align, but I could feel the university's support and commitment to winning in every conversation. That made my family and I feel very comfortable, and it became very clear to us how special a place Portland is, both the university and the community as a whole. This place has massive potential, and I am so incredibly honored and humbled to have been chosen to lead the Pilots into the next chapter. We are going to win here, and I can't wait to get to Portland and get to work!"
Pooh Jeter wrote:Shantay's presence in the Pacific Northwest right now is incredible. He turned Eastern Washington into a big-time winning program, and I know he will do the same at Portland. I'm thrilled to welcome Shantay to the Pilot Family. Let's go!"
There is a lot more here: https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/3/22/mens-basketball-university-of-portland-names-shantay-legans-mens-basketball-head-coach.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:18 pm

"My family and I couldn't be more excited about this opportunity at the University of Portland," Legans said. "Through the process, I had a chance to get to know Scott, Jason and Father Mark, as well as members of the Board of Regents, and get a feel for their vision for the future of the UP men's basketball program. Not only did our philosophies and values align, but I could feel the university's support and commitment to winning in every conversation. "
Pretty obvious that UP and Coach Legans have been talking/negotiating for quite some time and got the deal done soon after EWU got back to Cheney.  I saw a video of the team arriving back at school from the Spokane airport in a yellow school bus being cheered back home by fans and family which probably made it harder for Legans to leave.

Makes Scott's decision to fire Porter sooner than later a smart move!

EDIT: Arriving back at EWU in a Cheney School District yellow bus:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1373497100063809544

Last edited by StudentPilot on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:24 pm

Spokesman article was updated with EWU reaction:

EWU athletic director Lynn Hickey said Legans is a big loss for the program.

“He’s one of the best young coaches in America and we are sad to lose him,” Hickey said. “He had to do what is best for himself and his family. He’s a million-dollar coach.”

The former California point guard’s wide-open, 3-point-heavy system helped EWU reach three straight Big Sky Conference Tournament championship games, win a conference regular-season title in 2020 and reach this year’s NCAA Tournament.

Legans won 60 of his 82 games against Big Sky Conference opponents. He was formerly an assistant under Jim Hayford before Hayford left EWU for Seattle University in 2017.

Legans had one remaining year left on his contract. Hickey said an extension was discussed last summer.

Multiple sources have told The Spokesman-Review that EWU associate head coach David Riley, a former Whitworth standout, is applying for Legans’ former post.

“We have a great internal candidate (Riley), but obviously my phone has been blowing up today.

EWU returns nearly its entire roster from its NCAA Tournament team next season, including Big Sky Conference Most Valuable Player Tanner Groves.

“I am completely happy for (Legans),” Groves said. “He has shifted the program around. It was an honor and blessing to play for him. It sounds like it’s the right situation for him. Sad to see him go, but happy for him.”

Groves hopes the Eagles make an in-house hire.

“I would definitely think (Riley) should be the No. 1 guy,” Groves said. “He has worked hard, and I think he deserves it.”
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:39 pm

“I am completely happy for (Legans),” Groves said. “He has shifted the program around. It was an honor and blessing to play for him. It sounds like it’s the right situation for him. Sad to see him go, but happy for him.”

Groves hopes the Eagles make an in-house hire.

“I would definitely think (Riley) should be the No. 1 guy,” Groves said. “He has worked hard, and I think he deserves it.”
Seems like Tanner Groves and I agree, he should stay at EWU and Coach Riley should move up to the top job.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:32 pm

Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next? - Page 6 Shanta10
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:40 am

It will be great to be able to cheer for Pilot basketball again!

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Kevin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:34 am

mikemac65 wrote:It will be great to be able to cheer for Pilot basketball again!

I was wondering when some of the guys who quit posting would be back.

The big question . . . Will we see Pilotnut back in Chiles next fall (assuming we are allowed)?
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:42 pm

I went searching for my old post history to see what I said when we hired Porter, and I didn't post anything particularly one way or the other. I did dig up a rant I wrote some time back that was interesting to read again... Laughing

Anyway, I think I am genuinely excited about this hire as well! Optimism is a strange feeling for me!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:59 pm

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/mar/23/grip-sports-marchs-many-and-outs-leave-us-exhauste/

In his 12 years in Cheney as an assistant and head coach, Legans built a lot of relationships in the area. He was a hard guy not to like. And he also built his reputation as a coach, building on Jim Hayford’s foundation and taking Eastern to Big Sky title games, the NCAA tourney and individual heights – four conference MVPs in five seasons – never before seen.

With all the issues Eastern Washington is facing currently, with all the challenges the school’s lack of resources presents, his leaving seemed inevitable. But why jump to one of the worst jobs in the West Coast Conference?

Look, let’s be clear. We’re not doubting Legans here. We’re doubting the viability of basketball success at the University of Portland.

If Eastern has problems, most of them money and facility related, then Portland has just as many. At least in Cheney and the Big Sky, Legans has the opportunity to win the conference title and the ensuing NCAA berth every year. At Portland?

Let’s count the WCC programs with more. And by that, we mean more of everything, from money to admissions to reputation to history to, heck, the opportunity to be successful. There is Gonzaga. BYU. Saint Mary’s. Pepperdine. USF. Heck, maybe even Loyola Marymount and Pacific these days. Even USD has San Diego for goodness sakes. Santa Clara can point to Steve Nash. Where does that leave Portland? Looking up.

Can Legans overcome the obstacles? Yes, he can. But unless the Pilots relax their admission standards, upgrade their facilities, improve the budget – things it really didn’t do for Portland NBA legend Terry Porter – and do all of that on the heels of a pandemic-induced financial downturn, Legans will be going into battle with the conference’s smallest arsenal.

It sure seems he could have done better. Much better.

Whatever Portland is paying him, and it is reportedly much more than he was earning in Cheney, Legans will earn it. No one will work harder. If he can’t make the school successful, I’m not sure anyone I’ve met could. He’ll find under-the-radar recruits, coach them up, put them in a system in which they can thrive and may still be battling to finish in the top half of the conference – if the school gives him the time to succeed.

Honestly, we’re rooting for Legans. He’s a good human being in a profession that needs as many as it can get. His task ahead won’t be easy. He is obviously betting on himself (and I wouldn’t bet against him), which is admirable. If it pays off, it will pay off big. And that’s something everyone who has interacted with Legans over his years in Cheney is hoping will happen.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:24 pm

If Eastern has problems, most of them money and facility related, then Portland has just as many.

I mean, a tiny bit of research for the article might have been nice. But whatever, Spokane, you do you.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:35 pm

https://www.si.com/college/cal/basketball/legans-hiring-official

“Why not?” was a theme with Legans in his meetings with Leykam and the Portland administration before being hired. Legans compiled a four-year record of 75-49 at Eastern Washington, directed the Eagles to just their third-ever NCAA tournament bid this season and forged a Big Sky record of 53-20 for a winning percentage of .726 that is second-best all-time in the conference among coaches with at least four seasons.

By contract, the Pilots have resided for years in the basement of the West Coast Conference, which not only features national No. 1-ranked Gonzaga but also Saint Mary’s and BYU, both fairly regular visitors to the NCAA tournament.

The Pilots, who were 1-42 in WCC play the past three seasons, have lost their past 29 games over six seasons against Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s and BYU.

This will be a tough job. Legans says some coaches he spoke with advised him against taking the assignment, but others believe it’s a place that can have success: Great city, excellent university, success in other sports on campus in a city that embraces hoops.

“Why can’t we beat these top schools?” Legans said. “What’s the difference between Portland, GU, Saint Mary’s, Pepperdine, BYU? There’s not a big difference?

“Obviously, Spokane and Gonzaga have been great. Why can’t we build a team, build a roster to be that good? That’s what you play for.

“I want to go and beat these teams. Is it going to be a tall task? I believe so. But I’m up for the challenge . . . I’m not tall, though.”

At 5-foot-10, he’s really no shorter than Gonzaga coach Mark Few, so on that front he’s pretty much even.

Now Legans and Portland begin the steep climb to get an eye-to-eye view with Gonzaga and the other top WCC teams in every other aspect.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:30 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/mar/23/grip-sports-marchs-many-and-outs-leave-us-exhauste/

Sour grapes

I care even less for this cowpoke Idahoan's opinion than they care about research
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Rob's Jacket, Dean Murdoch and GoPilots19 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snus Junction Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:06 pm

Pleased enough to consider season tickets again.
This is a bigger risk for Shantay than UP. On the other hand, its a low hurdle and if we give him time to develop a program - several years - maybe lighting on the bluff?
Building a fan base is possible. A really big wish that the Portland media gives equal billing to PSU.
Can we reinstitute some traditions?: Pep band leader wears purple, has a purple wig, dances and goes crazy.
Our self-styled “Cheer leaders” last time fans were in the gym were a plus.
Oh yes, the “courtside couch” during, I think, Jose Slaughter’s time would be a nice touch: “Couch potatoes” with a very high donor Pilot Club contribution.

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2020-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Snus Junction Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:07 pm

This is a bigger risk for Shantay than UP. On the other hand, its a low hurdle and if we give him time to develop a program - several years - maybe lighting on the bluff?
Building a fan base is possible.  A really big wish that the Portland media gives equal billing to PSU.
Can we reinstitute some traditions?: Pep band leader wears purple, has a purple wig, dances and goes crazy.  
Oh yes, the “courtside couch” during, I think, Jose Slaughter’s time would be a nice touch: “Couch potatoes” with a very high donor Pilot Club contribution.

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Snus Junction Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:12 pm

Building a fan base is possible.  A really big wish that the Portland media gives equal billing to PSU.

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:14 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Seems like Tanner Groves and I agree, he should stay at EWU and Coach Riley should move up to the top job.
And that is what EWU has done, elevated David Riley to head coach.
 Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next? - Page 6 Screen64

I'm told the players love him!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:24 am

DoubleDipper wrote:1. Shantay Legans (Eastern Washington HC)
2. Mike Magpayo (Cal Riverside Interim HC)
My top two choices to take the reins at UP were always Legans and Magpayo, and Shantay got the job...so what about Mike?

Mike Magpayo recently had the interim tag removed from his title and signed a new contract with UCR and was also awarded the 2021 Joe B. Hall Award as the top first-year D1 coach in the country...
Angela Lento, Vice President of the CollegeInsider.com wrote:Dealing with the pandemic, and the uncertainty surrounding the future of athletics at UC Riverside, Mike Magpayo led the program to an historic season.

Coach Magpayo’s attention to detail and leadership are second to none. He’s a star in the profession.
http://www.collegeinsider.com/2021/JOE_B_HALL_AWARD.pdf
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next