Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 Season

+5
SoreKnees
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
ExpatPilot
PNWPilot
9 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2019 Season - Page 3 Empty Re: 2019 Season

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:33 pm

5-3-2 is Still the same. Remember that exhibitions and alumni matches don’t count towards the totals.

And there has been the clarification that you can’t get more than one yellow per match. A second yellow counts as a red, for which you sit the next match.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:21 pm

Up men put on a scoring clinic against Davidson tonight. Six goals by six different players.

It made for a looong day of soccer with the two games separated by 3 hours.

The game was never in doubt, but half the fans got tornado alerts on their phones telling us to take shelter.

So I did. I chose the Pilot club tent at halftime.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:00 am

Agreed. Somehow they found their shooting boots this weekend. I'm not confident that these performances were against strong competition, though, so I'm not ready to think that we are a potent attacking force.

Depth seems like a strength of this team. There really isn't too much drop-off at a lot of positions when the starters are rotated out.

I assume that the weird scheduling this weekend was the result of a cancellation in the women's invitational tournament. There "should" have been a UP women's match on Thursday against another visitor and a UW match on Sunday against the same team. Does anybody know anything about this?
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:56 am

Geezaldinho wrote:The game was never in doubt, but half the fans got tornado alerts on their phones telling us to take shelter..
I saw you and Mrs. G. heading down the stairs before the half ended, but was told the tornado wouldn't hit Merlo Field...

2019 Season - Page 3 Alabam10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11267
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:25 pm

We are back to not scoring.

Lots of running around, not much effect as the Pilots went down 0-2 to the RedHawks.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:07 am

I watched the first half and decided that it wasn't worth continuing. They were flat last night. Many errant passes. No movement off the ball. Lots of dribbling into cul-de-sacs.

The first goal was inexcusable as we had a player on the near post to guard against exactly what happened, except that he abandoned his position while the corner kick was still in the air.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:12 am

SoreKnees wrote:

The first goal was inexcusable as we had a player on the near post to guard against exactly what happened, except that he abandoned his position while the corner kick was still in the air.

Credit the red hawk for the nice backheel, but what ever happened to the dictum that the defender stays on the post until he is released by the keeper?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:03 pm

When Ben Ortiz was called for a foul in the Pilots 1-0 win over Wisconsin tonight, the ref went to video replay and determined Ben should be kicked out of the game.

There's now VAR in college soccer?  scratch
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:57 pm

StudentPilot wrote:

There's now VAR in college soccer?  scratch

There has been for violent conduct,  goals scored, ( and whether the goal beat the clock) , and has been for years, if it is available.
“5.7.3 Video review is permissible in four specific situations. Those four situations are:
5.7.3.1 Determining whether a goal has been scored;
5.7.3.2 Identifying players for disciplinary matters;
5.7.3.3 Determining whether a fight occurred and identifying all participants; and
5.7.3.4 Determining whether violent conduct occurred and identifying all participants.”

Excerpt From
2018 and 2019 NCAA Soccer Rules
National Collegiate Athletic Association
This material may be protected by copyright.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:04 am

Good win last night against the thugs from Northridge. The three goals were well taken and they seem to be getting the most out of Pereira's excellent hold-up play.

Questions for those with inside information:
1. What is the status of Reyes? It looked like a cramp late in the game, but didn't seem to respond to the usual stretching therapy and he had to be helped off limping. He would be a big miss if it's something more serious.
2. Why did Jake Arteaga not play? There were times when the Matadors (or, last night, the Door-Mats?) were rampant in the middle of the park and Jake's calmness on the ball and assured passing were desperately needed. I hope it's not a long-term injury or issue. Anyone have info to share?
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:45 am

SoreKnees wrote:1. What is the status of Reyes? It looked like a cramp late in the game, but didn't seem to respond to the usual stretching therapy and he had to be helped off limping. He would be a big miss if it's something more serious.
Sorry, I have no information about Ben's status, but despite the many stellar plays in the game by all the players, the one play that stands out in my mind is trainer Kristina Miller's rush to aid Ben while play was still going on...resulting in a yellow card for Kristina from a bewildered and, for the most part, overmatched referee.

The loudest applause and celebrations during the evening were for the three UP goals, but there was plenty of applause and cheering for Kristina, who in the finest tradition of medics in wartime, rushed on to the battle field in the 88th minute...and a battle field it was with CSUN committing 33 called fouls, many for thuggery.

Candidates for POM would have to go to many, especially Alejandro Pereira, but Kristina's action will stand out in the memory of a number of UP fans for quite some time....

2019 Season - Page 3 Miller10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:54 pm

The ref allowed two throwins and wouldn’t stop for injury.

I think Nick sent her out.
33 fouls on CSUN sounds like a lot, but only maybe half of their fouls were called. In some leagues, a defender turnstiling a player earns yellow every time.

And I don’t think I have ever seen a ref stop the clock so often, which makes him not stopping for injury all the more strange.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:35 pm

I noticed the clock stopping, which was unusual but I think reasonable. I wish more referees would do it (although it was frustrating being ahead).

I never refereed college matches but did high school and club (FIFA laws) games for many years. I always hated high school because they had the same rule as college: time clock with no added time. This enabled all manner of delay by the team that was ahead, especially on restarts. In a club match, I would simply mention as I trotted past the coach that I was adding on time for all the delays. Sometimes that would stop the time-wasting, but if it did not we would simply play 2, 3, or more extra minutes at the end to give the trailing team their fair opportunity to get level.

Note that I'm NOT talking about legal stalling when the ball is in play by holding it in the corner, passing it about, or sending the ball deep into the attacking zone to force the other team to reset. Only about times when the ball is either put far out of play to waste time getting it back (not effective at Merlo with ball-people throwing in extra balls immediately) or taking 30+ seconds over a free kick, goal kick, or throw-in beyond the time needed for the taker to get into position.

Over the years, the NFHS and NCAA have grudgingly adapted their rules toward FIFA's. (High school referees don't have to make the American football "touchdown" signal following a goal any more, for example, and the backward kickoff and no-pass-back rules both arrived in the academic settings a year after FIFA switched.)

I suspect that the stadium clock will be the last to go because the NCAA and NFHS are both run by people for whom soccer is an afterthought and the default is to do everything just like football. They can't imagine how it could be right to deprive the players, coaches, and fans of knowing exactly now many seconds are left. Until that changes, I'm all for stopping the clock in the last 15 minutes when one team chooses to delay. The alternative in the rule-book is to give a caution to the player, but that has always seemed harsh to me unless it is repeat behavior.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:46 pm

SoreKnees wrote:Note that I'm NOT talking about legal stalling when the ball is in play by holding it in the corner, passing it about, or sending the ball deep into the attacking zone to force the other team to reset. Only about times when the ball is either put far out of play to waste time getting it back (not effective at Merlo with ball-people throwing in extra balls immediately) or taking 30+ seconds over a free kick, goal kick, or throw-in beyond the time needed for the taker to get into position.

He was stopping the clock after 10 seconds, even after CSUN had committed some pretty bad fouls and players, including theirs, were still rising to their feet.

And there is an ncaa rule that the clock stops for substitution only in the last 5 minutes of the second half half for the team that is ahead. There is a specific ruling on 84:50.

Ncaa wrote:“A.R. 3.7.1.g. At the 84:50 mark, the referee beckons onto the field a player substituted by the leading team’s coach, but the restart of play does not occur until the clock passes the 85:00 mark. Does the clock stop when it reaches 85:00 per Rule 6? RULING: No. The clock continues to run because the substitution occurred before the 85th minute.
3.7.2 During the final five minutes of the second period only, anytime the leading team makes a substitution, the referee shall signal the clock to be stopped and beckon the substitute onto the field.”

Excerpt From
2018 and 2019 NCAA Soccer Rules
National Collegiate Athletic Association
This material may be protected by copyright.

He stopped the clock when they subbed.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:51 pm

Might go to the UW game on Sunday if any PN'ers happen to be in the area or are interested in making the trip up.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:49 pm

So how I'd describe being at the UW game is:

Nothing happens in the first half. Refs being **** and handing out cards and penalties like candy for **** reasons.

Nothing happens in 95% of the second half besides some close calls. Refs still being **** and handing out cards and penalties for **** reasons. Conveniently decides to hand a penalty while a UW player is the penalty box with like 10 minutes to go. Free kick. UW goal. Pilots can't answer back.

Joined the Arteaga family and friends entourage in cheering the Pilots and heckling the refs. Probably the loudest fans there. Made things soooo much better with a lack of a Villa Drum Squad. UW's drum line was...not that good in comparison.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianPilot Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:39 pm

What is going on with UP Soccer?....no comments for 2 weeks, watching online looks like nobody in the stands. Has the Portland area lost interest in the team? Looked to be building, but has taken a big step backwards. Any clue why even on Pilotnation there are big yawns when the team plays.

Basketball #1 now?

CanadianPilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:59 am

Very good question. Crowds are down in the student section this weekend due to fall break. But the interest and intensity of interest seems to be falling.

I still feel like the men are a good side, but all season they have lacked the one guy who can open up the opponent's defense. Last year, Benji attracted so much attention in the middle that the rest of the team had space and time to create goals, either for him or for themselves. This year, we are making opposing defenses look good because there is no one who can consistently beat his man and cause chaos in the box. I thought that Rey Ortiz could be that guy, but he hasn't taken the next steps since his brilliant sophomore year.

On the women's side ... that's a subject for another thread, but watching them play at St. Mary's last weekend reminded me too often of a high-school game. Lots of hoofing the ball downfield and hoping for the best or, worse yet, smashing the ball off the opponents shin pads in an attempt to hoof the ball downfield.

Although I have no direct association with UP, I've been a fan since Milbrett and a season-ticket holder for 15 years. I'm not sure I care that much anymore and am about ready to stop scheduling my life around Pilot tickets.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianPilot Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:56 am

Used to be able to go to the school website get a great write up of the games with interviews and highlights.....then come here and read all about the referee! Just crickets this year. I still try to watch all the mens and womens games online (great to see the womens team being so competitive this year!) . GO PILOTS

CanadianPilot
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:23 pm

CanadianPilot wrote:Used to be able to go to the school website get a great write up of the games with interviews and highlights.....then come here and read all about the referee!  Just crickets this year.  I still try to watch all the mens and womens games online (great to see the womens team being so competitive this year!) . GO PILOTS
I attend all the men's and women's games, and until Saturday's game against UOP, the number of fans and their enthusiasm have been as good as ever, IMO.

As mentioned earlier, it's fall break at UP and the Villa Drum Squad was not in attendance, but there was also a surprising drop-off in attendance by other fans who are usually regulars, and that is tough to explain as it was the Pilots first WCC game of the season.

With regard to postgame postings on PilotNation by those in attendance or watching online...face it, there's been a declining interest in PilotNation discussions, in any sport, over the last couple of years.

It would seem PilotNation is no longer as relevant as it once was, and as the majority of the original cadre of members/posters have moved on in life and have other responsibilities and interests besides UP athletics, it may be difficult to once again bring PilotNation to relevance.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:07 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
CanadianPilot wrote:Used to be able to go to the school website get a great write up of the games with interviews and highlights.....then come here and read all about the referee!  Just crickets this year.  I still try to watch all the mens and womens games online (great to see the womens team being so competitive this year!) . GO PILOTS
I attend all the men's and women's games, and until Saturday's game against UOP, the number of fans and their enthusiasm have been as good as ever, IMO.

As mentioned earlier, it's fall break at UP and the Villa Drum Squad was not in attendance, but there was also a surprising drop-off in attendance by other fans who are usually regulars, and that is tough to explain as it was the Pilots first WCC game of the season.

With regard to postgame postings on PilotNation by those in attendance or watching online...face it, there's been a declining interest in PilotNation discussions, in any sport, over the last couple of years.

It would seem PilotNation is no longer as relevant as it once was, and as the majority of the original cadre of members/posters have moved on in life and have other responsibilities and interests besides UP athletics, it may be difficult to once again bring PilotNation to relevance.

While I do not post very often anymore, I still read PilotNation regularly and enjoy seeing the discussion. I have noticed the decline too and it's a little disappointing. But, some of the responsibility for that falls on me for not contributing regularly, which is for exactly the reasons DD mentioned.

I will say that I think that online message boards are, in general, in decline due to the prevalence of other platforms/mediums for discussion. PilotNation is still the best news source and discussion board out there for all things Pilot athletics and I do enjoy this little community.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:03 am

I have, occasionally, posted a brief assessment of the match after one I've attended or watch online. I always feel a little uncomfortable appropriating this role for myself, but I really miss having a forum on which to discuss the Pilots soccer teams.

If there are readers out there who would appreciate more of this, I'd be happy to start the conversation in this way more often. However, there is rarely much of a conversation! I'd feel more like this is more useful if others would respond, even if it's just a brief "You got that one wrong" or "I agree about the referee."
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:01 pm

CanadianPilot wrote:Used to be able to go to the school website get a great write up of the games with interviews and highlights.....
Here you go...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1183255035850842112
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianPilot Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Thanks for all that guys! I too like to come here after games and love to read the reports from those attending the games. I am guilty of not posting also. i was hoping that the decline in interest was not a reality. Still all to play for this year, Go Pilots

CanadianPilot
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:59 am

That's more like it!

Exceptional performance last night from the Pilots. They started a bit of an unconventional lineup with R. Ortiz, Arteaga, Stretch, Campuzano, and Pereira all missing. But wow, the energy that they brought to the game was of a different order of magnitude than the pedestrian performances against Pacific and Loyola.

Against a quality opponent, they simply dominated. The movement off the ball was impressive: there was always someone available whenever a player got stuck in a double-team---and the player with the ball most often found the outlet. The match stats do not give time of possession or pass-completion percentage, but both had to be extremely high.

A few key performers from my view: Greg Tracey is truly an unsung hero and it was wonderful to see him get on the scoresheet. He does the hard work in the midfield, keeping the ball and recycling it to teammates on the way to the goal. Such players (and the Pilots have several great ones) don't get the attention that goes to the goal-scorers or assist-makers, but they are essential to controlling possession and getting the front players in a position to do their thing.

Noah Beck has quietly grown into a huge asset for the Pilots' midfield. Much like Tracey and Jake Arteaga, he retains the ball well and has just enough trickery about him to wait for the opportunity to find a really good passing option. These three (two sophomores and one freshman) should make the Pilots a dominant force in the middle of the park for as long as we can keep them together.

The first goal was on a truly sublime free kick from Jacobo Reyes from 23 yards out central. Curled into the top corner with power, the keeper didn't have time to move, let alone get within five feet of the ball! Brilliant! Reyes was a threat to Cal (and a treat to watch ... thank you typo!) every time he touched the ball.

Finally, Cal seemed to have one go-to striker, #9 Thomas Williamson. He was big, fast, and talented; the Bears seemed to look for him on every attack. The task of marking him usually fell to Francesco Tiozzo, who simply marked him out of the game! The scoresheet says that he had two shots, none on goal. Every time he touched the ball, Tiozzo was practically inside his shirt, cutting off his every move and either taking the ball away of forcing a backward pass. Like the engine-room dominance of the midfield, excellent defensive play is essential to a successful team, but it often gets overlooked by those who just look at the statistics and the highlights.

Great performance overall! And credit should go as well to the coaching staff, who matched up our lineup and tactics very well against a very good opponent that was made to look not so good.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next