Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it time to consider new leadership?

+21
purple passion
Oldster
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
eProf
A_Fan
VillaGorilla
UPSoccerFanatic
Disgruntled
Corrado Kid
ExpatPilot
Stonehouse
OldePilot
UPWomenSoccerRookie
StudentPilot
Susie Que
ejjqb
ehk21
ninjapizza
SoreKnees
purplehaze
25 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Is it time to consider new leadership? - Page 5 Empty Re: Is it time to consider new leadership?

Post by wrv Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:58 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I'm told the search is "going well" in that a number of very strong candidates, both assistant coaches and head coaches, have been contacted by UP or have contacted UP on their own and shown high interest. I got the impression the size of whittled-down pool is in the neighborhood of around 20 high quality candidates, give or take....

Now that initial contacts have been made and some preliminary interviews have been conducted, it's really a matter of waiting for some teams to be eliminated from the NCAA Tournament(s) before real discussions can begin...not because it would illegal, but because it is not fair to the coaches or players to be involved with the hiring process while still competing for a title.

Well there are now only two teams left in the playoffs, Stanford and UCLA, who play for the championship tomorrow. Unless our prospective coach is from one of those programs, can we assume that if the search was "going well" weeks ago, as quoted above, that an announcement is imminent?

Does the delay in announcement suggest that our top choice may not have accepted?

Where are we in the process?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1425
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Is it time to consider new leadership? - Page 5 Empty Re: Is it time to consider new leadership?

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:35 pm

wrv wrote:Does the delay in announcement suggest that our top choice may not have accepted?
Unconfirmed, but I've been told "an offer has been made."

If an offer was made, it's hard to say who the offer was made to, but a source in San Jose says Lauren Hanson "will not be leaving San Jose St. because of her husband's job."

It's all just speculation at this point....we'd have to ask the VP for Athletics to get real answers, and as he's keeping the search "close hold," I doubt he'll be talking until an official announcement is made.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11298
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Hey, what's up with all this "close hold" stuff? They should take some notes from Tennessee on how to run a coach search.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:22 pm

up7587 wrote:Hey, what's up with all this "close hold" stuff? They should take some notes from Tennessee on how to run a coach search.
Which, of course, resulted in a new AD at Tennessee....I'd rather UP keep quiet and keep Scott! pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:09 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:Hey, what's up with all this "close hold" stuff? They should take some notes from Tennessee on how to run a coach search.
Which, of course, resulted in a new AD at Tennessee....I'd rather UP keep quiet and keep Scott! pirat

Whatever plaudits the athletic director is due for secrecy, he balances that with a deliberate pace.

We're waiting Scott.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Good to see UP is not rushing into a new hire without fully vetting the number of candidates who have come forward for the open head coach position.

In talking to Scott Leykam a while back, it was really interesting to hear some of the hiring criteria that includes personality, coaching and recruiting styles, as well as the "fit" that is so important when dove-tailing a coach with a storied program like UP's and with the UP Community of fans, friends, students, and alumni.

Unlike NCAA football, where a quick hire may be essential because of the two-day early signing period beginning December 20, soccer recruiting is in the official "dead period" between December 15 and January 5, and the NLI signing period does not begin until February 7.

The Pilots are young, as I recall, we said goodbye to only 5 players on Senior Day, and I've heard of no previous commits backing out, so it would seem that with some exceptions, most of the recruiting will be for the seasons beyond 2018.

Seems to me the Pilots and Timbers have been without a coach for about the same amount of time, give or take a week, and last I read, the "Timber hope to hire a new coach by the end of the year."

Last I heard, the list of potential coaches for UP is now very short (2 or 3), but when an actual hire or announcement is made is anybody's guess....but probably before the end of the year.... Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Scott's statement on timing, in November, was that his intention was to make a hire by the end of the month (i.e., by the end of November).
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:25 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Good to see UP is not rushing into a new hire . . .

Last I heard, the list of potential coaches for UP is now very short (2 or 3), but when an actual hire or announcement is made is anybody's guess....but probably before the end of the year.... Cool

To suggest Scott is "not rushing" to hire a new coach is actually funny--laughable after the time passed. The Timbers do not have recruits to pursue, etc. and are not a particularly good comparison.

No one has suggested that candidates should not be fully vetted--that too is funny. They should be and I trust Scott will do that.

But he has had ample time to fully vet candidates and to hire.

I am hopeful we hear soon.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:25 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:Scott's statement on timing, in November, was that his intention was to make a hire by the end of the month (i.e., by the end of November).

I suspect he made an offer to someone for less money than they were making now.

Oddly enough it was rejected.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by My2cents Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Sadly, it is probably going to be about the money, and they may have to work their way through their list of candidates until they find someone who is willing to accept what UP is willing to pay.

My2cents
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I suspect he made an offer to someone for less money than they were making now.

Oddly enough it was rejected.

Perhaps.

But if you feel like doing a bit of leg-work by looking at UP's most recent 990 form and by searching the California state employee database, you can see that UP's former head coach was paid nearly 50% more in salary and bonuses than San Jose State's current head coach.

UP's former head coach was also the highest-paid women's soccer coach in Oregon, and among California state schools would rank #2 behind UCLA. (Roughly equal with UC Berkeley, to be fair.)

I'm not really sure where the narrative is coming from that UP didn't pay its former coach well, but I don't think it's accurate unless I'm totally misreading the reports.

Now, what they are willing to offer the new coach... I have no idea. Maybe it is indeed significantly less than they paid the previous coach.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:06 pm

My2cents wrote:Sadly, it is probably going to be about the money, and they may have to work their way through their list of candidates until they find someone who is willing to accept what UP is willing to pay.
I certainly respect your opinion and your freedom to post your opinion here, but I can say without reservation that UP has in the past, and will again in the near-future pay a very respectable and highly competitive salary with benefits to UP's women's soccer coach.

Yes, there are some coaching positions at UP that are not paid as well as maybe they should be, but that does not apply to either the men's or women's soccer head coaches.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by My2cents Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:17 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Yes, there are some coaching positions at UP that are not paid as well as maybe they should be, but that does not apply to either the men's or women's soccer head coaches.

Does that apply to assistant soccer coaches that are not paid well?

My2cents
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:21 pm

During the College Cup the number of head coaching positions in men's and women's soccer was mentioned by the commentators, and it turns out there were 22 D1 women's head coaching positions open at the end of the season, and as of this past weekend, only one, Youngstown St., has been filled.  Lots of schools and candidates checking out the various opportunities available.

With regard to recruiting, the women's team will lose 5 seniors, but they already have 6 commits for next fall....none have changed their minds so far, and UP intends to honor all the commitments....regardless of who the new coach is.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:54 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:During the College Cup the number of head coaching positions in men's and women's soccer was mentioned by the commentators, and it turns out there were 22 D1 women's head coaching positions open at the end of the season, and as of this past weekend, only one, Youngstown St., has been filled.  Lots of schools and candidates checking out the various opportunities available.

With regard to recruiting, the women's team will lose 5 seniors, but they already have 6 commits for next fall....none have changed their minds so far, and UP intends to honor all the commitments....regardless of who the new coach is.

Interesting info. Thank you.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:During the College Cup the number of head coaching positions in men's and women's soccer was mentioned by the commentators, and it turns out there were 22 D1 women's head coaching positions open at the end of the season, and as of this past weekend, only one, Youngstown St., has been filled.  Lots of schools and candidates checking out the various opportunities available. ....
As of today, 24 positions have come open. 5 have of those positions have been filled.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:17 pm

It was also pointed out during this year's women's final between UCLA and Stanford (won by Stanford), that it was only the third all-West Coast Women's College Cup final ever....the other two, of course, being UP's defeat of Santa Clara in 2002 and the Pilots thumping of UCLA in 2005.....I hadn't realized that!  pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Seems to me the Pilots and Timbers have been without a coach for about the same amount of time, give or take a week, and last I read, the "Timber hope to hire a new coach by the end of the year."
Pilots had better hurry up if they are to beat the Timber at hiring their next coach.

The rumor is the Timbers are set to name Giovanni Savarese as their next head coach.  Savarese has spent the last five seasons as the head coach of the North American Soccer League's New York Cosmos, posting a regular season record of 65-26-51 during that time and leading the Cosmos to three league championships.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:59 pm

DD wrote:Pilots had better hurry up if they are to beat the Timber at hiring their next coach.

Looks like that race was lost.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/savarese-leaves-cosmos-to-coach-portland-timbers/5at539e24gw41gecuzsahcs1l
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 pm

It was pointed out to me that Nick Carlin-Voigt wasn't hired until January, and that has worked pretty well so far.... tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:10 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:It was pointed out to me that Nick Carlin-Voigt wasn't hired until January, and that has worked pretty well so far.... tongue

Was it also pointed out to you the Announcement with Bill didn’t occur until November 24, and that Carlin voight’s hire announcement was January 11, or just about 48 days later?

By that timeline from Nov 7, a hire should be be by Christmas.

That takes  into account that the Men’s season was  later than the women and CV was still busy with the tournament.

The women’s hiring cycle for coaches is earlier. January 11 is starting to sift through the leftovers.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:09 pm

Boom. http://portlandpilots.com/news/2017/12/15/michelle-french-returns-to-the-bluff-as-womens-soccer-head-coach.aspx

Is it time to consider new leadership? - Page 5 Tumblr_inline_of0738K1r81qf3dy6_540

Last edited by ninjapizza on Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Believe me, an announcement is imminent.

I think everyone will be pleased that the new coach is a former UP player, a professional player, and has coaching experience with the US National Team.

EDIT: Oops, you beat me to it!

Very excited to know that "Frenchie," someone who was at UP in the early days of the team's successes, will help write the next chapter in returning to those successful times.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Ok, things look better than an hour ago.

Very Happy

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2017/12/15/michelle-french-returns-to-the-bluff-as-womens-soccer-head-coach.aspx
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:49 pm

And who said you only release bad news on Friday afternoon!?!? Smile

Welcome (back) Michelle!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next