Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonzaga - Saturday & Monday (1/21 & 1/23)

+6
blacksheep
bobtcat2
DoubleDipper
PilotDrummer
Sound Voltex
StudentPilot
10 posters

Go down

Gonzaga - Saturday & Monday (1/21 & 1/23) Empty Gonzaga - Saturday & Monday (1/21 & 1/23)

Post by StudentPilot Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:15 am

I've been getting a lot of smack and trash talk from my GU friends since the postponed game on January 7th, but now it has hit a new high (low?) with the back-to-back games coming up....and I have no reply, it would appear the Pilots are in for a beat down.

My GU friends are predicting at least a 50 point victory, and the professionals are predicting a 30 point win for the Zags, so I turn to you long-time PN contributors for some words of encouragement as the Pilots head into tonight's game in Spokane.

I see KenPom has ranked GU at #1 in the country, while UP has dropped from a season high #128 after the CSUN game, to a new low of 241....and Pomeroy gives the Pilots only a 0.3% chance of wining.....has there every been that bad a prediction?  

I don't think GU will win by 50 because Coach Few has no reason that I know of to embarrass Coach Porter, but if UP's bench can't slow GU's bench, it could be close to 50.

After reading the discussion on PN after the USF game, the question now is how many minutes Jazz, Alec, Gabe, and others will play during this two game series.  My prediction is Alec will play very few, if any, minutes tonight, and we'll see plenty of Andre, Alec M., and even Xavier if they are healthy.

One positive note: because the game at the Chiles Center is on a Monday at 5PM, my friends from GU will not be able to attend.....something about going to classes, for a change. Razz
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga - Saturday & Monday (1/21 & 1/23) Empty Re: Gonzaga - Saturday & Monday (1/21 & 1/23)

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Looks like we won't see Wintering at all for the rest of season or his collegiate career. On my phone, so can't quote anything, but the UP social medias are reporting he is out for the rest of the season with a torn ACL Sad
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga - Saturday & Monday (1/21 & 1/23) Empty Re: Gonzaga - Saturday & Monday (1/21 & 1/23)

Post by PilotDrummer Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Yep, at the women's game right now and heard from some folks, Alec has torn his ACL and is done for the year.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:51 pm

StudentPilot wrote:After reading the discussion on PN after the USF game, the question now is how many minutes Jazz, Alec, Gabe, and others will play during this two game series.  My prediction is Alec will play very few, if any, minutes tonight, and we'll see plenty of Andre, Alec M., and even Xavier if they are healthy.
 Al Wintering‏@_awin2
I'm so blessed to have been a Pilot over the past 4 years. Thank you to everyone that has helped me along the way! I'll be back and better!  
Gutted by this news, not just because he means so much to the Pilots, but because he's such a wonderful young man!

Yes, he'll be back, but unfortunately it won't be in a Pilots uniform....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11293
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Well, we just got past the 11 point mark...so it looks like it won't be as bad as the Saint Mary's game...
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:40 pm

Overall, not a blowout game as initially thought, especially with the loss of Wintering. Somewhat oddly satisfied I guess would say was my reaction. It was interesting to see the contrast of emotions of loud cheering from the student section on TV and some of the GU fansite forumers just begging it to be over already (apparently it's one of the sloppiest they've been all season).

Barreno and Hartwich were beasts on the rebound game, Barreno with some nice second chance points. 2:1 offensive rebound ratio, almost matched on overall rebounds, defensive rebounds, second chance points, points in the paint and steals.

I think this could be a good confidence booster for Monday despite Alec being out. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to catch the full game because it starts at 3pm over here (yay hawaii time differences) but hopefully with students back they can get more pumped up.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:08 pm

Immensely proud of the Pilots effort last night without their team leader and captain in the game.  Great to see Alec out on the court during the pregame warm ups and during timeouts urging on his teammates.

Can't even imagine the excitement Andre was feeling facing GU in the first start in the freshman's college career....

The entire team must have developed some confidence moving forward without the greatest UP point guard of all time...we'll just have to see how that translates heading toward Las Vegas.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:56 am

I think they woke the beast. This could be ugly tonight, 80-49 is my guess.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Traffic SUCKS! I should make it by game time, but barely.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Sigh...I am "geo-restricted" so I can't watch this one. Pilots within four halfway through the first, wish I could tune in!

At least the Pilots' new radio play-by-play guy is great. Props to Swigard.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1788
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:58 pm

Didn't show up until almost half time because traffic at 5 is stupid

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:36 pm

Exceeded expectations in both games really.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotfan4life Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:01 am

If you ignore the score, the game was pretty even. We only lost the second half by 4 points! The energy and hustle were big factors, and exciting to watch.
pilotfan4life
pilotfan4life
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:22 am

I need to watch the film, as I was only able to catch bits an pieces, but I am impressed with how the team has responded to the loss of Alec so far.... let's hope the energy continues, as we have important games this week, seeding wise. Getting the season sweep of Pepperdine would give us the tie breaker over them, and USD has been playing well recently.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:29 am

PilotNut wrote:I need to watch the film, as I was only able to catch bits an pieces, but I am impressed with how the team has responded to the loss of Alec so far....

Post your thoughts when you re-watch the game, I'd like to see them! (Damn geo-restrictions)

I'll admit it looks like the final score was a little flattering yesterday given Gonzaga was up 61-28 at one point in the second half and took their foot off the pedal a bit, but it was fun to see them at least in the game for the majority of the first half before they really pulled away in the second. Credit to those guys over there, they look like the real deal. Hopefully the Pilots can avoid the 8/9 game and another date with those beasts in Vegas.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:14 am

PilotNut wrote:let's hope the energy continues, as we have important games this week, seeding wise.  Getting the season sweep of Pepperdine would give us the tie breaker over them, and USD has been playing well recently.

I guess I'll do another one of these...don't blame me if the W/L don't add up, just using Kenpom's projected records here.

Gonzaga - Saturday & Monday (1/21 & 1/23) Mybrac11
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:15 pm

I was once again impressed with the Pilots performance.....

Coach Porter had good schemes in place on both offense and defense, but obviously UP just doesn't have the talent to beat GU.

I agree with others that Andre Ferguson, just a freshman, did a good job in his first starts ever in college.  Whether he can hold the starting position next year is in question, but for the rest of this season the job appears to be his.

I good-naturedly chided the staff today for not playing freshman Alec Monson more. They need fresh players on the court, and Monson's 2 rebounds in 3 minutes equaled the 2 rebounds in a combined 21 minutes for Ray and Joseph.  Embarassed

The short bench is exacerbated by the absence of Jarrel.  He's dressed to play, and I've seen him practice, but for whatever reason he's not being called upon to play.  Coach Cantu said something about not being able to play defense because of his ankle.....I'm not sure that wasn't problem before his injury.  In basketball, as in life, you sometimes have to play hurt to support your teammates.

I suppose some could say UP closed the gap in the final score during "mop-up" time, but GU plays a very deep bench and much of the Pilots late scoring was against their normal rotation...just not all their starters.  

I only recall yelling once during the game....and that was directed at Coach Few for leaving in his starters late and after Williams hurt his knee and took himself out.  The last undefeated team in America doesn't need to take a chance on losing a front line player when the game's outcome is not in question.  It was hard to tell at the time, but it appears on replay that the injury to Tillie was his ankle....whatever it was, it didn't look good, and both Tillie and Williams are forwards.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Update: Totally unofficial, but a GU grad tells me Williams is fine but Tillie will be out a couple of weeks with an ankle sprain.

Hope everyone had a chance to watch 3 great games tonight: Marquette goes on a closing 19-4 run to knock off #1 Villanova; West Virginia goes on a game ending 27-10 run to beat #2 Kansas; and Tennessee holds off #4 Kentucky,.

Based on GU's wins over Florida,  Iowa St, Arizona, Tennessee,  and St. Mary's.....the Zags have to be #1, IMO.

#wccmbb

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : SMC, not AZ twice!)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:51 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I only recall yelling once during the game....and that was directed at Coach Few for leaving in his starters late

DoubleDipper wrote:Marquette goes on a closing 19-4 run to knock off #1 Villanova

I sense some incongruity between these two comments.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:07 pm

up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I only recall yelling once during the game....and that was directed at Coach Few for leaving in his starters late

DoubleDipper wrote:Marquette goes on a closing 19-4 run to knock off #1 Villanova

I sense some incongruity between these two comments.
Haha, okay you got me there.... Embarassed

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down