Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coach Change

5 posters

Go down

Coach Change Empty Coach Change

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:37 pm

And a big one, at Oregon. Football coach Mark Helfrich is out, two years after playing in the national championship game. Ever since he lost Mariota, his team has had some inexplicable losses, a defense that was the worst in the country, struggles to find a QB who could succeed, and a group of players who seemed to play entitled. Duck fans are panicked that they are reverting to be looking up at the hated UDub Fuskies again. Not to mention losing to a Beaver team with inferior talent but more "want to". So a change was made, and we wait to see who will pick up the reins. A lot of assistant coaches with many years at the school may be moving on or retiring.

Change is hard, but it is necessary.

Back to top Go down

Coach Change Empty Re: Coach Change

Post by pilotram Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:56 pm

How long until Les Miles is announced?
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Les Miles is 63. I do not think the Ducks will hire him . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:32 pm

up7587 wrote:Change is hard, but it is necessary.
Agreed!

I was once an ardent follower of the Ducks (two cousins played there), but when all of a sudden the team tasted success and everyone seemed to jump on the bandwagon after years of mediocre support I kind of drifted away.  For many of us who supported the Duck during all those lean years, this outcry for Helfrich's head just seems ludicrous considering his record at UO, second only to that of Kelly's in terms of winning percentage (37-14/.698 vs. 46-7/.868).

But as ludicrous as it might be, I totally understand the frustration of the Ducks faithful considering the success the team has had since 2009.  So much about football at the highest level is about school recognition at the national level and fund raising...so yes, I get it!  I'm sure Phil and Nike would have supported the team without a change, but I get the feeling many others would not.

By all accounts Helfrich is a good man who gave 100% effort to the program (much like Coach Reveno), that's why it was a little jarring to ready Oregon's online announcement of his firing.
UO wrote: Oregon's first loss of 2016 was at Nebraska, a 35-32 defeat in which the Ducks went for two after all five touchdowns and converted once.  The next week, Pac-12 play began with a loss to Colorado in which the Duck allowed 41 points and threw an interception on a potential game-winning TD pass in the final minute.  
Now, don't let the door hit you on the way out!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11263
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:38 pm

wrv wrote:Les Miles is 63. I do not think the Ducks will hire him . . .
Good to know that ageism is still alive in America so that many of us who may be well passed it, in eyes of some, can continue to prove the doubters wrong.

Haven't you heard, 70 is the new 50!

Seems to me Nick Saban continues to show a lot of energy, fortitude, and success at age 65.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodless 2.0 Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:58 pm

I honestly think Brian Kelly would be a good fit for the Ducks and not only because I want him out of South Bend.
Woodless 2.0
Woodless 2.0
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2015-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Woodless 2.0 wrote:I honestly think Brian Kelly would be a good fit for the Ducks and not only because I want him out of South Bend.
If you were to query many 49ers fans, you'd find the majority think Chip Kelly would do an excellent job in Eugene. Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:19 pm

Finding that head coach who is really a game changer is hard. There just aren't that many around.

I never really liked how Helfrich handled himself as he took over the program. He tried to be Chip Kelly and he just isn't. You need to coach your own way. I think he will do just fine in his next job where he doesn't have to live in the shadow of someone like Chip.

It's too bad we couldn't get Chris Peterson when he was available!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:21 pm

Woodless 2.0 wrote:I honestly think Brian Kelly would be a good fit for the Ducks and not only because I want him out of South Bend.

I'd take Brian Kelly as the new coach!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:39 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
wrv wrote:Les Miles is 63. I do not think the Ducks will hire him . . .
Good to know that ageism is still alive in America so that many of us who may be well passed it, in eyes of some, can continue to prove the doubters wrong.

Haven't you heard, 70 is the new 50!

Seems to me Nick Saban continues to show a lot of energy, fortitude, and success at age 65.....

Oh brother . . .sensitive. Fact is, the Ducks will not hire him, for a host of reasons, among them a lack of offense or imagination in running an offense. Recruiting to LSU from Louisiana and from the remainder of the south is a whole lot easier than recruiting to Eugene. Saban and Carrol in Seattle are exceptions to the norm and do not enhance the case for Miles.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:00 pm

wrv wrote: Fact is, the Ducks will not hire him, for a host of reasons, among them a lack of offense or imagination in running an offense. Recruiting to LSU from Louisiana and from the remainder of the south is a whole lot easier than recruiting to Eugene.
OK, that's an argument I can get on board with....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:32 pm

blacksheep wrote:Finding that head coach who is really a game changer is hard.  There just aren't that many around.  

I never really liked how Helfrich handled himself as he took over the program.  He tried to be Chip Kelly and he just isn't.  You need to coach your own way.  I think he will do just fine in his next job where he doesn't have to live in the shadow of someone like Chip.  

I know this is old, but....
https://youtu.be/lWz5kiy2nDc
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:02 pm

pilotram wrote:
blacksheep wrote:Finding that head coach who is really a game changer is hard.  There just aren't that many around.  

I never really liked how Helfrich handled himself as he took over the program.  He tried to be Chip Kelly and he just isn't.  You need to coach your own way.  I think he will do just fine in his next job where he doesn't have to live in the shadow of someone like Chip.  

I know this is old, but....
https://youtu.be/lWz5kiy2nDc

Peterson never wanted to come to UO, for several reasons. The Peterson Downfall parody is one I had missed, but it is right on with predictions, it just took a couple years for them to be realized.

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:03 pm

I wonder if he wanted to be at UW all along. He seemed to have all sorts of people knocking at his door during the BSU days.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:09 am

USF (no, not that USF, but University of South Florida) Coach Willie Taggart will be the Ducks new head coach.....

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18225743/oregon-ducks-hire-usf-bulls-willie-taggart-next-coach
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down