Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NCAA Nationals - Rob Conner Interview

+2
pilotram
DoubleDipper
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

NCAA Nationals - Rob Conner Interview - Page 2 Empty Re: NCAA Nationals - Rob Conner Interview

Post by ehk21 Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:57 am

All the more impressive considering we don't even have a track on campus. It would be like the basketball team making it to the NCAA tournament without having a basketball court on campus. It's been over 30 years since the University has had a track. Isn't it about time the University did something about this, even without a big donor to start this project?

ehk21
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2015-08-22

Back to top Go down

NCAA Nationals - Rob Conner Interview - Page 2 Empty Re: NCAA Nationals - Rob Conner Interview

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:56 pm

ehk21 wrote:Isn't it about time the University did something about this, even without a big donor to start this project?

I know everyone would like to make it happen, especially considering over the past decade or so XC/T&F is the only place where UP has been a truly national power.

But as with everything else at UP, space is the big issue - there's just not space for a track when the University is growing at the rate it is... dorms and academic buildings are the priority right now. And even if they wanted to build a track on the main campus, really the only spot would be the parking lot... which means a new (and very expensive) parking garage would need to be built first.

In the meantime, thankfully Roosevelt HS has a newly built track that is available for UP to use for training. Not ideal, but at least it's something.

If the University ever ends up gaining control of the McCormick and Baxter property (adjacent to the river campus), I think there's a chance a track could happen. I dream of an amazing custom facility that could become the permanent home to the Nike Cross Nationals (usually hosted at Portland Meadows or Glendoveer) and maybe even one day host both NCAA XC and T&F regionals/nationals. Heck, maybe Nike could even help build it. A boy can dream, right? Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:17 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Heck, maybe Nike could even help build it.

With the way they have helped all the local high schools put in turf football fields with Swooshes on them, I feel that this isn't beyond reason. Unfortunately for us, I think the entire state's track facility attention is on Eugene with their expansion.

Interesting to note is that of the WCC only BYU and Pepperdine have track facilities.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:21 am

Boom. Kincaid qualifies for the Olympic Trials, outkicks some guy named Rupp!
http://portlandpilots.com/news/2016/6/24/mens-track-and-field-woody-kincaid-outkicks-galen-rupp-and-posts-olympic-trials-qualifying-time.aspx
Edit: Hilarious thread title on LRC: "RUPP GOES HOME DEVASTATED - Loses 5k to some guy named Woody Kincaid."
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2