Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1/16/16 vs BYU

+9
dholcombe
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
Dean Murdoch
wrv
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
Rochin54
NoPoNeighbor
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

1/16/16 vs BYU - Page 3 Empty Re: 1/16/16 vs BYU

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:05 am

UGAPilot wrote:Can someone explain the travel call that their fans are so upset about?

There was no travel call. The call was tripping.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:51 am

BYU fans are upset about a traveling non-call, when at the end Alec took an inbounds pass and was double-teamed. He stumbled, was pushed, whatever, went down partially and got back up. BYU fans claim he dragged his pivot foot several inches. It wasn't the reason they lost. But it would have made the outcome dicier.

A Pilot loss after that performance would have had some fans jumping off the bluff, literally.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:59 am

UGAPilot wrote:Can someone explain the travel call that their fans are so upset about? I didn't have much of a chance to watch the game, but the Cougar fans seem pretty upset at the no call. Was it Alec being doubled teamed near the end of the game when?
Yes, there was a no call for traveling when it appeared as if Alec may have dragged his pivot foot while in front of the BYU bench while being double-teamed/trapped.  And yes, it was in the last minute, as I recall.

EDIT: Yeah, what up7587 said, but he said it better.... tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11281
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:20 pm

While we're on the subject of whining (not winning): In general, I have never seen a whinier team than BYU, and I don't mean just this year.....

I'm not sure if it comes from the coach or the way they were raised, but with BYU there always seems to be this sense they are entitled or blameless for everything, and the players can be quite demonstrative and pouty on the court when they are whistled for something....sometimes for a call that was quite obvious.

I was really surprised the ref did not give their freshman, Emery, a technical on a couple of occasions....usually freshmen are not given any slack.  Instead of saying something to the player or giving him a bit of a "stink eye," the ref just kept acting like he was ignoring him, even though Emery kept up the complaining.

I don't mind coaches complaining, if it's done in a respectful way (not like USF's coach), and I don't mind the team captain talking (not complaining) to the ref to get an explanation. If you watch the Pilots, the only ones who actually talk to the refs are  the captains, Bryce and Alec.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:35 pm

As much as some of the BYU players whine, at least they don't act like this Oregon State player did yesterday while playing at Utah......

Way to go, you've just fouled out with 3 minutes to go with the score tied and the opponent getting free throws from your stupid action....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:57 pm

Haha. I saw a clip of the trip. I had no idea the score was tied with three minutes on the clock.

Interesting the announcer claimed there was no travel.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:13 pm

OSU led at halftime 34-23, and Utah had never led in this game until making the free throw from the Flagrant 2, going ahead 53-52.

After that it was all down hill for the Beavers who lost 59-53.

The transgressor, Jarmal Reid, a senior from Decatur, Georgia, will probably get a few games off to think about his split-second "decision."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:43 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

The transgressor, Jarmal Reid, a senior from Decatur, Georgia, will probably get a few games off to think about his split-second "decision."

Well as of 2011 there is no NCAA game suspension for a flagrant 2, but I bet the league or school gives him a game - probably at the insistence of the head of the PAC 12 refs. (Bobby Dibler or COO Jamie Zaninovich)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:01 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
UGAPilot wrote:Can someone explain the travel call that their fans are so upset about? I didn't have much of a chance to watch the game, but the Cougar fans seem pretty upset at the no call. Was it Alec being doubled teamed near the end of the game when?
Yes, there was a no call for traveling when it appeared as if Alec may have dragged his pivot foot...
Hahaha "appeared," and "may have." He obviously did drag his pivot foot. The question is whether the foul was called for contact made prior to that blatant foot drag.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:28 pm

OSU suspended him 4 games.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:09 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:While we're on the subject of whining (not winning):  In general, I have never seen a whinier team than BYU, and I don't mean just this year.....

I'm not sure if it comes from the coach or the way they were raised, but with BYU there always seems to be this sense they are entitled or blameless for everything, and the players can be quite demonstrative and pouty on the court when they are whistled for something....sometimes for a call that was quite obvious.

You're not referring to when the BYU player threw Pressley to the floor near the foul line, and acted shocked when he got called for the foul, are you? The ROOT TV guys just laughed at him for complaining.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:20 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:
Yes, there was a no call for traveling when it appeared as if Alec may have dragged his pivot foot...
Hahaha "appeared," and "may have." He obviously did drag his pivot foot. The question is whether the foul was called for contact made prior to that blatant foot drag.

Sometimes the refs won't call a foul, then when the action causes the offensive player to travel, etc., they'll call the foul late.  They called that one on Emery with 16 seconds left and UP up two.  Maybe his constant complaining didn't help his case.

BTW, props to Alec for making both FTs in crunch time.  We've been complaining about the FTs all year.  In the last 4 minutes of that game, they made 6 of 8.  Alec and Jarrel made 2 each, Bryce 1 of 2, and Jason Todd made one then missed the last one with only 5 seconds left and up five.  I prefer a miss there anyway, to start the clock immediately and not let them get set up, so maybe it was deliberate.  Also very glad the margin was five, so we didn't face the dreaded foul or not decision when up three at the end.  We have horrible luck with that.

Last edited by up7587 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:38 pm

With the look to the sideline and the nod, I'd have to say the miss on the second was deliberate. Make 'em go the length of the floor.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:04 am

dholcombe wrote:OSU suspended him 4 games.

After watching the live action replay, I thought it could have been inadvertent. The replays however show he made eye contact with the ref right before he did it. Definitely not accidental (thought it was a good try at making it look that way).

I'm conflicted on how I feel about 4 games. On one hand, it was pretty juvenile and nobody got hurt. On the other hand, intentionally making physical contact with a referee is major no-no.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:06 am

I have no problem with 4 games... there needs to be zero tolerance for that behavior, and he let his team down significantly.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:30 am

PilotNut wrote:I have no problem with 4 games... there needs to be zero tolerance for that behavior, and he let his team down significantly.
Yeah, I agree, you do NOT go after a ref physically....ever!

Some have even called for the player in question to be kicked off OSU's team....but that I do not agree with.  Student-athletes need to be given a second chance even if their actions may have been inexcusable.  The structure and guidance that come from being part of a team or school can be very helpful to someone who is trying to overcome anger issues or even the environment that student-athlete may have been raised in.

To cast aside a student-athlete for a one-time transgression could, in the long run, be even worse than no punishment at all.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:38 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
PilotNut wrote:I have no problem with 4 games... there needs to be zero tolerance for that behavior, and he let his team down significantly.
Yeah, I agree, you do NOT go after a ref physically....ever!

Some have even called for the player in question to be kicked off OSU's team....but that I do not agree with.  Student-athletes need to be given a second chance even if their actions may have been inexcusable.  The structure and guidance that come from being part of a team or school can be very helpful to someone who is trying to overcome anger issues or even the environment that student-athlete may have been raised in.

To cast aside a student-athlete for a one-time transgression could, in the long run, be even worse than no punishment at all.

Very well said.....you are wise beyond your years!!

Seriously though, very well put. There are certainly first transgression issues that should lead to the "death penalty" (getting dismissed from the team), but this was not one of them. Seriously poor judgement no doubt. Unacceptable and inexcusable no doubt. But because of the punishment, for the next four games of his last college season, he will be forced to sit and think about what his feelings/emotions were during that moment that lead to that action and how he can better react next time and every time after that. And to your point, suspending but keeping on the team keeps the structure and guidance that can be so valuable for the formation of young people.

I think four games is pretty thoughtful and seems right. I'm glad it came from the coach, not the conference. I could argue for more, but four conference games is A LOT of conference games when you think about it. Such an inexcusable act though.

As an aside, I have to give my compliments to the ref and his reaction and how he handled this. Could have been much worse. He handled it with professionalism and level-headedness. Kudos ref.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:12 am

oops.

Last edited by wrv on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:14 am

Actually, “cast[ing] aside” student athletes for “one time transgression[s]” happens a fair amount and deservedly so. The UO basketball team members who last year allegedly gang raped a coed were dismissed from the team and the university. Do not think the long run consequences to the University were greater than if it provided guidance as a means of addressing the transgression.

U.P. has dismissed basketball team members for fights with other students, though I have no idea if that particular dismissal was for a one time offense.

Truth is, like transgressions committed by non-student athletes, not on a scholarship, each transgression needs to be judged on its merits.

Pollyannish bromides in favor of guidance can be misplaced. The athletes should be treated in a manner proportional to their transgressions and those athletes should be dismissed when appropriate.

The coddling of athletes, on scholarships and given special treatment throughout their lives, has been known to create its own set of problems.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:40 am

wrv wrote:Actually, “cast[ing] aside” student athletes for “one time transgression[s]” happens a fair amount and deservedly so. The UO basketball team members who last year allegedly gang raped a coed were dismissed from the team and the university. Do not think the long run consequences to the University were greater than if it provided guidance as a means of addressing the transgression.

U.P. has dismissed basketball team members for fights with other students, though I have no idea if that particular dismissal was for a one time offense.

Truth is, like transgressions committed by non-student athletes, not on a scholarship, each transgression needs to be judged on its merits.

Pollyannish bromides in favor of guidance can be misplaced. The athletes should be treated in a manner proportional to their transgressions and those athletes should be dismissed when appropriate.

The coddling of athletes, on scholarships and given special treatment throughout their lives, has been known to create its own set of problems.

I am in NO WAY saying that one should never be booted for certain first time transgressions. Obviously those ducks should have been quickly dismissed, for example. Agree that each transgression needs to be judged on its merits. While coddling of SAs has happened historically (and I'm sure continues at many institutions), I also think there is a faction of folks who want to yell and scream for dismissal when it isn't warranted. Simply saying that for this OSU one, I do not believe dismissal would have been the right course of action, and that the four game suspension seems right.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:53 am

I agree with you about the OSU tripper.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

1/16/16 vs BYU - Page 3 Empty Oregon State VS BYU Penalties

Post by bullwinkle Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:24 pm

Late to this conversation, but surprised nobody has made mention of Nick Emery's sucker punch to a Utah player, which only netted him a one game suspension from the WCC and nothing (that I've heard of) from Dave Rose, and the outrage of the BYU community when Utah cancelled next year's rematch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_plLIGsjSM

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:18 pm

bullwinkle wrote:Late to this conversation, but surprised nobody has made mention of Nick Emery's sucker punch to a Utah player, which only netted him a one game suspension from the WCC and nothing (that I've heard of) from Dave Rose, and the outrage of the BYU community when Utah cancelled next year's rematch.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_plLIGsjSM

Was there a punch thrown in that video? I didn't notice. Laughing
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:23 pm

I think the guy traveled.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:32 pm

try this one.  http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/12/3/9839950/nick-emery-byu-punch-utah-basketball

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum