Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MLS Champs Timbers

4 posters

Go down

MLS Champs Timbers Empty MLS Champs Timbers

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:30 pm

Does this mean we get the Cascadia Cup retired?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

MLS Champs Timbers Empty Portland Timbers Parade and Celebration

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:11 am

I'm in downtown Portland and it would appear they are preparing for a Timbers parade today.

Bystanders in Timbers gear are telling me there will be a parade on Broadway between Stark and Madison beginning at noon today (Tuesday).

The same people don't seem interested in attending the Pilots MBB game tonight because the are heading to Providence Park for a celebration that begins at 6PM.....apparently the gates open at 5PM, and it's FREE!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11279
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

MLS Champs Timbers Empty Re: MLS Champs Timbers

Post by PilotNut Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:24 am

Details are located here: http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2015/12/portland_timbers_mls_cup_celeb_1.html#incart_river_home

This is pretty cool... other than the conflict with the Pilots tonight, these are both going to be great events. It also appears that the heavy rain will hold off until after the parade (I hope I didn't just jinx it). As a season ticket holder of both UP and PTFC, I am choosing the celebration of a MLS Cup championship over a game against Idaho State.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:28 am

Can I also just add a comment here about both of the Timbers' goals in the Cup final?  Valeri with the slide in to deflect in the fastest goal in MLS history (it was no accident--Coach Porter admitted that pressuring Columbus' keeper was part of the plan), and the Melano to Wallace header 6 minutes later.... my goodness!  What a match it was, and a special streak to close out the Championship season.

Oh, and remember that on the last day of league play, the Timbers weren't even assured of a playoff spot?! Shocked

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:32 am

I have to admit I have been on cloud nine about this all. I watched in a small English Tottenham pub in Athens with a few friends. It has been amazing to watch this team win, but I am honestly pretty sad that I can't be in town to celebrate (although I know there is some pretty bad flooding right now). I have gotten a lot of texts from old and new friends congratulating the team, but it's pretty lonely as a Timbers fan out here.

Good news is I should be able to come to the UP games against LMU and Pepperdine!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:11 pm

The parade was short but VERY sweet today...  even in the rain, there was a huge crowd on Broadway.  Very cool!

MLS Champs Timbers Img_2011

MLS Champs Timbers Img_2012

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:27 pm

Nothing is more Portland than a parade in the rain for a soccer team!

I enjoyed watching the game, although the goalkeeping for both teams wasn't quite EPL standards.  Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:08 pm

up7587 wrote:Nothing is more Portland than a parade in the rain for a soccer team!
Well, there was a time when Pilots fans would parade down Broadway in cars and one hearse to celebrate UP Men's Basketball and Homecoming....but this was way cooler, because everyone was out of their cars and mingling and cheering.

As I was only at the parade site by accident, I wasn't fully prepared with Timbers kit, but I had a number of positive comments about my Purple and White UP scarf.... pirat
MLS Champs Timbers Frank_10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11279
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:19 pm

up7587 wrote:Nothing is more Portland than a parade in the rain for a soccer team!

I enjoyed watching the game, although the goalkeeping for both teams wasn't quite EPL standards.  Rolling Eyes

Ha!

I think you forget the Robert Green howler against the USA a couple cups go, and Hart has some howlers that can do a lowlight reel.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down