Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men's Soccer Defeats SU in Exhibition

5 posters

Go down

Men's Soccer Defeats SU in Exhibition Empty Men's Soccer Defeats SU in Exhibition

Post by ehk21 Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:07 am

Saw on the athletics website that the Pilot men defeated Seattle U last night. I live far from Portland and can't see games. Was anyone there in person to give us a report?

Sadly, this is the first post to the men's soccer thread since May. It seems that interest in men's soccer is at its lowest since the mid 1980s. It seems that both soccer programs, particularly men's soccer, are sinking into complete irrelevance. I don't have any insider information or knowledge, so please help me out. What has happened to soccer on the Bluff? Is there any reason for hope in the near term?

ehk21
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2015-08-22

Back to top Go down

Men's Soccer Defeats SU in Exhibition Empty Re: Men's Soccer Defeats SU in Exhibition

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Believe me, I'm no soccer expert......not by a long shot, but I wouldn't worry about either the men's or women's programs. Both continue to attract really good student athletes who graduate and do well after their years at UP.  Yeah, they may not win as many games as they once did, or at least as many as we'd like them to, but they are still very competitive; something to be proud of at a small school with a comparatively small athletic budget.

I also wouldn't be concerned about the lack of posts on PN about men's soccer....I would speculate there just aren't as many fans of the men's game on this forum as there is for the women's.  And, although I attend virtually all the men's games, I rarely post anything here because I've never perceived an audience on PN.

It's true, they women do get the majority of attention from the students and the press (and annually lead the nation in attendance), but I prefer watching men play because of the speed and physical nature of their game.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11267
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Men's Soccer Defeats SU in Exhibition Empty Re: Men's Soccer Defeats SU in Exhibition

Post by wrv Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:04 pm

While one would have to concede that size (of the institution) does matter in this context, the suggestion that you not worry because we are small yet remain effective is misplaced. We achieved so much that to be where we have been the last couple of years is disappointing and worrisome to those who hoped for better, though because of size and money and . . . it was perhaps inevitable. A few more years of underwhelming performance like this last couple and there might even be consideration of changes.
The athleticism of the men's game truly is something to behold and at Merlo, you are quite close to the action.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ehk21 Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Men's soccer is now 0-3, losing last night at home to Grand Canyon by a score of 1-4. I don't live near Portland and don't see games in person, so I ask again, "What has happened to the men's soccer program?" The fact that only two people replied to my original post suggests that hardly anyone cares. The slow, but steady, decline of this program is sad to witness.

ehk21
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:13 pm

I didn't show up to last evening's match against Vermont until halftime, but it didn't matter because that's when the Pilots also showed up.

Down 0-2 at the half, UP fought back to take a 3-2 decision, the final goal coming from about 25 yards out after a couple of touches from Eddie Sanchez.

Didn't see the first half, but UP dominated on corners and shots in the second.

Not sure if anyone will read this post, or care, but as ehk21 believes "hardly anyone cares," I thought I'd let it be known someone does.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11267
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by pdxjoe Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:02 pm

There are those who care. I've been a fan for about 25 yrs. Unfortunately I had to move to everett wa this year and will not be able to see many games at merlo. I did watch the game on my computer yesterday and thought that the men played well. I liked the fact that there was more passing then I remember from the past. I will continue to watch them when they are on-line. Go PILOTS
pdxjoe
pdxjoe
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ehk21 Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Thank you pdxjoe and DoubleDipper as well as those who responded earlier. I appreciate your insights. I guess there are a few of us left.

ehk21
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:23 pm

They had pretty good beer and Eats in the Pilot club...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down