Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Recruitng News for the Women's Team?

+2
DoubleDipper
wrv
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Any Recruitng News for the Women's Team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any Recruitng News for the Women's Team?

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:22 pm

Josie Matz wrote: feel so blessed to announce my verbal commitment to play basketball at the university of Portland!  
Josie, from Wilson HS in Tacoma was averaging over 20 ppg and 7 apg until a torn ACL ended her junior season in late January.  

UP took a chance on a recruit with a torn ACL a few of years ago (Alison Ryan) who never did play, but there have been plenty of female athletes return from this too common injury to have productive college careers.

By all reports, Josie, a point guard who has been described as a " powerful and natural team leader," is rehabilitating nicely and should be able to take to the court again by the end of September.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11280
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Any Recruitng News for the Women's Team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any Recruitng News for the Women's Team?

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:34 pm

A glance at the women's roster for this coming season indicates there are 13 players, including one walk-on (junior Madison Ward) and 5 seniors.....

I really haven't been paying attention, but I believe the expected signing of Jayce Gorzeman and Josie Matz in November will be just two of the 6 student-athletes that are expected to sign with the Pilots for the 2017-18 season.

In addition to Gorzeman from Las Cruces and Matz from Tacoma, I believe there will be two from the Portland area, and one each from Los Angeles and Las Vegas.  

I guess we'll have to wait until November to know for sure, unless someone on PN remembers seeing other tweets from UP recruits.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Womens basketball is a 15 scholarship head count sport.

This program needs all the help it can get.

Any plans to fully fund the program?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:45 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Womens basketball is a 15 scholarship head count sport.
Yup, it is, but I'm hearing there will be 12 this year and 13 next year....a standard that's been maintained for a number of years.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:50 pm

I'm surprised we haven't heard an official announcement of any early NLI signees to the women's team, but we know there have been at least three who have signed.

Guard Jacyce Gorzeman and PG Josie Matz, both mentioned earlier in this thread have both signed, and a new name to add to the list has also signed, 6-5 center Lauren Walker, from Cardinal Newman HS in Santa Rosa.

This video of Lauren was put together before her junior year at Cardinal Newman....I can only imagine that two more years of playing will increase her skill level and agility before heading to UP.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:06 pm

State Champion Cardinal Newman sends two to D1:

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:42 pm

tongue   DD was correct, "Pilots Ink Three Women's Hoops Recruits."

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2016/11/22/wbb-pilots-ink-three-recruits.aspx
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2