Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nike news

+6
DaTruRochin
NoPoNeighbor
VillaGorilla
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
PurplePrideTrumpet
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nike news - Page 2 Empty Re: Nike news

Post by Guest Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:31 pm

PilotNut wrote:This is not a new problem...  this has been an issue dating back to the old wheel logo--and the P logo was supposed to address it... yet there was little in Nike apparel at any given moment in the bookstore, and even less available in Chiles.  The bookstore REALLY needs some competition.  Mad

Speaking if which, how about a Pilot Nation polo shirt? I'd be good for a couple.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:47 pm

There have been discussions, and some designs were drawn up (by our good friend NoPoNeighbor), for a PN T-shirt version 2.0... and it would still be viable with the new logo scheme.  

I will admit that I was going to try to coincide with the start of the 2014 soccer season... then came word that a new logo was coming out...  so nothing further has come of it yet. Maybe leading into hoops season is a good time?

I would love a polo shirt.  That is a bit more involved than a t-shirt (based on time, funding this out of my pocket, printing vs. embroidery, etc).  

Last edited by PilotNut on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer)

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Nike news - Page 2 Empty Dimension Six News??

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:11 pm

How many of us knew this: Phil Knight wanted Nike to be known as Dimension Six.  

In retrospect, ugh!

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-nike-got-its-name-2016-1
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11312
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:34 pm

It seems like the "secondary" logo, the pilot's wheel/anchor combo, is becoming more prominent. One example: on the top of the WCC website it is the secondary logo, rather than the P logo, that is used for the Pilots. As recently as a few months ago the P logo was used. Perhaps this is to make us stand out from Pepperdine.

http://wccsports.com/index.aspx

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:32 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:It seems like the "secondary" logo, the pilot's wheel/anchor combo, is becoming more prominent. One example: on the top of the WCC website it is the secondary logo, rather than the P logo, that is used for the Pilots. As recently as a few months ago the P logo was used. Perhaps this is to make us stand out from Pepperdine.

http://wccsports.com/index.aspx

I had noticed the same thing, NoPo! I remember hearing that we were still committed to the 'P' due to the marketing effort put behind it, but it almost seems like everyone has been slowly transitioning to the secondary logo. Most of the UP of the social media accounts use that logo already.

I actually like the anchor-n-wheel logo much better than our P, personally. Maybe just because it reminds me of this old logo.

Also related to Nike, I noticed that the men's basketball team was wearing the Nike Elite template jersey's earlier. It's the cut that we used during the PK80 that is what the big schools have been using. Old Template New Template

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:10 pm

All of the new banners at Merlo this season also use the wheel logo... I believe you are correct that there has been a shift to utilizing this recently, as the P logo isn't as distinct from other schools that also start with P...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:07 pm

PilotNut wrote:All of the new banners at Merlo this season also use the wheel logo... I believe you are correct that there has been a shift to utilizing this recently, as the P logo isn't as distinct from other schools that also start with P...
It is my understanding the new wheel logo, usually referred to as the "secondary logo," is transitioning to become UP's "primary logo" replacing the P which will now be the secondary logo....

Nike news - Page 2 P10
Until now, the P was the only "registered" logo, as signified by the ®, meaning it is registered and protected by the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).

Nike news - Page 2 Wheel10
The new wheel was initially trademarked, as signified by the TM, meaning it is unique to UP, but I'm told it too is now protected by the USPTO and will have an ® next to it in the future.

For those who have always liked the old fashioned wheel logo, that was neither trademarked or registered, the new primary logo wheel is an excellent updated version.

Nike news - Page 2 Old_10
Another, more subtle, change over the last few years has been displaying "Portland" instead of UP, Pilots, etc. on banners and home and away uniforms for all the sports.  Portland as a city is "hot" in the minds of many throughout the US, the university wants to capitalize on that!
Nike news - Page 2 Marcus10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:49 am

DD, I love everything you just wrote.

I love trying to get on the "Portland" brand, which makes sense because Oregon is the University of Oregon and Cincinnati is the University of Cincinnati, etc.

I love that the wheel and anchor "secondary" is transitioning to primary. We won both of our soccer championships under the old wheel and anchor. Normally I am a huge fan of letter logos over symbols (e.g., I would love it if Joe Etzel's hat P below were to be our letter logo), but the wheel and anchor is just so clean compared to the P. The P always needs an explanation: "the weird shape is the river flowing past campus."

Nike news - Page 2 9k=

It also seems that they may be trying to reinforce that the wheel and anchor is part of our brand by placing the two side-by-side in some of our visuals.

Nike news - Page 2 Screen10

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:44 am

Looks like the athletic department is going all out to get the "new" primary logo in circulation. ESPN is now using it on its team page for Pilots:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2501/portland-pilots

Other outlets have yet to catch on:
https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/page/PORT/portland-pilots

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:57 am

I'm still in for a PilotNation shirt with the new logo.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:30 pm

The new black uniforms have arrived....check them out Saturday evening against Westmont College.

The new purple wheel logo with white outline is centered on the chest with the number below, and name and number on the back.  The numbers, front and back, are white with a purple outline.

Simple, but bold...looks nice.

Hopefully this will be my last fashion review for awhile.... Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:06 am

The new website design they introduced features the anchor ‘n’ wheel logo. The times, they are a changing.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:18 am

If you're like me, and had just settled back to watch the UNC at Duke game, when just 36 seconds into the game you see the probable #1 pick in this year's NBA draft, freshman Zion Williamson, go down with a knee injury caused by a Nike shoe blowout...you might have thought like I did, oh sh**, here's another example of stupid rules and greed hurting the future of a basketball superstar.

From 1976 until 2004, a high school kid did NOT have to spend a year out of high school before signing with the NBA...why does the rule exist today?  Sure, we now have great "one-and-done" teams like Duke and Kentucky, but where does the money the amateur athletes make for the schools and sponsors go?  Certainly not to the athletes.   

Whether Williamson's injury affects his future as a player or as a money earner is immaterial, why should any athlete have to jeopardize his or her career because of boardroom decisions.

Regarding Williamson's shoe, Nike has done a lot for sports, and they appear to be working hard to avoid worker abuse, and it's probably difficult to build a size 15 sneaker that will adequately support a 290lb man, but they too must be held accountable.

As of this post, Nike stock is pretty steady, down just 1.11 (1.31%) to 83.75.

Nike news - Page 2 Shoe10
Nike news - Page 2 Shoe_210
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:13 pm

Video of Zion at Nike press conference: