Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11/13: Pilots @ Oregon St, w/ festivities!

+7
pilotram
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
DoubleDipper
Stonehouse
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

11/13: Pilots @ Oregon St, w/ festivities! - Page 2 Empty Re: 11/13: Pilots @ Oregon St, w/ festivities!

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Um, are you sure you didn't list OSU's top 9 linebackers?....even the PG is listed at 200 lbs. Shocked 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11312
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

11/13: Pilots @ Oregon St, w/ festivities! - Page 2 Empty Re: 11/13: Pilots @ Oregon St, w/ festivities!

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:09 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Dumb question - it says the game is on Pac 12 Oregon. I'm assuming that's NOT the Pac 12 Network that you can get on Dish?
Hmmm....it could be the network is divided by region, I suppose.  Here in the Portland area the game is listed on 720, the regular HD Pac-12 Network station.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:46 pm

OSU ready to rebound against Portland.....
http://www.dailybarometer.com/sports/article_55009146-4c1a-11e3-a8a8-001a4bcf6878.html
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:25 pm

I think it's interesting that the article sees UP's eight offensive boards as a liability.

How many offensive boards should you be getting when you shoot 51% ?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I think it's interesting that the article sees UP's eight offensive boards as a liability.
Good point, Geez. According to kenpom -

• UP ranks 260th in D1 with a 25.8% offensive rebounding percentage
• OSU ranks 262nd in D1 with a 25.6% ORP

So yeah...pretty much the same through ONE game, for what little that's worth.

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:54 pm

My preview is up on westcoastconvo.com

http://westcoastconvo.com/2013/11/13/portland-pilots-battle-state-rival-oregon-state/

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:15 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DeanMurdoch wrote:Dumb question - it says the game is on Pac 12 Oregon. I'm assuming that's NOT the Pac 12 Network that you can get on Dish?
Hmmm....it could be the network is divided by region, I suppose.  Here in the Portland area the game is listed on 720, the regular HD Pac-12 Network station.
They actually do divide the network into regions, so in Oregon you get the Oregon version. That is, if you get the network at all...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:08 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:
They actually do divide the network into regions, so in Oregon you get the Oregon version. That is, if you get the network at all...
There is a network?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:47 pm

"Portland's just standing" - ominous observation from the Pac-12 Oregon analyst during a stale possession.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Down 41 - 33 at half. Way too many mistakes and TOs. Bad passing decisions; several have been picked off. And giving up many easy baskets in the paint at the other end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:45 pm

Interesting contrast. After a mistake, Rev calls TO and coaches. Earlier, Craig Robinson screamed at his offending player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:47 pm

up7587 wrote:Interesting contrast. After a mistake, Rev calls TO and coaches. Earlier, Craig Robinson screamed at his offending player.
I kicked an ottoman after the TO off the inbounds play. Where does that fall on the spectrum?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:49 pm

This team took such good care of the ball during the comeback but when they got there, just too many awful TOs resulting in breakaway layups.

Good to see a response at halftime but just haven't been able to get over the hump here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:57 pm

Pilots give up three breakaway layups in the 2nd half. First on an in-bounds play under their own basket, with a really poor pass in Mad . Then an ill-advised cross court pass that was picked. Finally getting pick pocketed when the defender just reaches in and takes the ball away.

Some real woulda coulda shoulda mistakes in a close game.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:50 am

Impressive comeback in the second half, but in the end all of the downfalls from the last two years came back to haunt us: turnovers, inability to execute inbounds plays, lack of an offensive threat from the post, missed layups, and poor shooting nights from our two best scorers.

At least for this one game, the only thing that really distinguished this team from last year's was Bobby Sharp. Despite that, we only lost by 6. So that is promising. But it would sure be nice to move beyond promising.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:56 am

It seemed that the Beavers could drive the lane, run into a blocker and get a call. The Pilots never seemed to do that. I was hoping to see more from Kevin B. Disappointed in his 5 turnovers.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:09 am

I have to say I was dumbfounded by the number of missed shots, lack of aggressive play, and inexplicable turnovers…..and I sat there in Gill Coliseum wondering when the “new” Pilots would finally kick it in gear.  And they did for a bit, but then came that unbelievable poor inbounds pass and more careless passes and the game was out of reach.

It was my first visit to Gill Coliseum since 1966….and the interior hasn’t changed much except for some new seats in and lots of paint.  I mention this because in 1966 the roof nearly came off from the crowd noise…..tonight that was NOT a factor in the Pilots self-destruction.  Gill echoes, so there is some noise, but nothing like the guys will hear in East Lansing or Spokane.

Bobby Sharp Shooter kept the Pilots in the game and Voldy finally showed some of the form we know he’s capable of.  Ryan also kept the Pilots in the game with his rebounding, and seemed to find his offensive touch late in the game, but it was too late.  And Kevin waited way too late to energize and elevate his game....he needs to play at his high intensity level for 30 minutes....not just 10!

Alec was just a young freshman going against a really quick, rangy, and athletic opponent, and Thomas and Riley never seemed to play with the aggressiveness they needed to….possibly fearing more foul calls.  Bryce played well, but early foul trouble limited his minutes and his ability to play to his potential.

Yep, woulda, coulda, shoulda, is an apt description for this game.  I’m sure the coaching staff will use this game as a teaching example (I’m not sure there will be many teaching moments from the MSU game this coming Monday), and the guys will get better.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:13 am

DoubleDipper wrote:No pressure on the Pilots, but the WCC is now 17-0. Shocked 

The Beavers are favored by 6.

Other games Wednesday:

PU at Cal Riverside
Cleveland St. at USF
The Beavers won by 6 and the WCC is now 19-1....Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:45 am

Unfortunately most of tonight's game seemed to look a lot like other Pilot games from recent years... not enough finishing in the paint, careless turnovers and at times a stagnant offense. Thankfully Sharp was hitting, or this could have been much worse. He has such a quick release--hopefully he will prove to be a reliable weapon for us. It is frustrating, as OSU really is not good, and is a team we "should" beat if we are going to grow the program.

I really hope we can pull it together (and figure out the new rules situation) quickly... we don't have anything to lose vs. MSU, but there are 3 other games coming up next week. I do hope that the trip to Mich. St. will be a great bonding experience for the team.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:51 am

Maybe we can throw Korey out on the floor for an extended period of time on Monday to run with the Spartans. I feel for him. He's been relegated to the third-team, after such a promising season last year.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:25 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:It was my first visit to Gill Coliseum since 1966….and the interior hasn’t changed much except for some new seats in and lots of paint.  I mention this because in 1966 the roof nearly came off from the crowd noise…..tonight that was NOT a factor in the Pilots self-destruction.  Gill echoes, so there is some noise, but nothing like the guys will hear in East Lansing or Spokane.

Not entirely Pilots-related, but how sad is it how far OSU has fallen not just on the court but in terms of fan involvement?  This is still a program that is still around Number 15 in ALL TIME WINS AS A PROGRAM.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Perhaps I have become desensitized by the demands of existance in the modern world, but I am not saddened by the fall from glory of OSU basketball, nor the likely termination of the president's brother in law. I do not recall many expressions of sympathy out of the Pac-12 for the difficult years which befell the Pilots. On the other hand, they did have the poster child of curmudgeons for a coach and one hell of a coach he was.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1426
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:45 am

Woof....Ireland hits two FTs at the buzzer to give LMU a win over Long Beach State, so the UP loss vs. Oregon State is still the only blemish on the entire WCC this year.

Went back and look at the stats for this one and was surprised to see the turnovers were even - 15 for both teams. I guess the three big ones for the Pilots that resulted in breakaway layups/dunks going the other way in the last seven minutes were just so obvious it seemed like they had more.

It hasn't been mentioned on here yet, but the strong play of Voldy Gerun was huge for the Pilots in the second-half comeback. Had a chuckle when the Pac-12 commentator goes "this was certainly not a guy that Oregon State keyed on in film sessions this week". Gerun was 3-for-4 from the field and hit all three of his free throws in four minutes played, then was subbed out near the 11-minute mark and wasn't heard from again.

Turning point of this game was definitely the three turnovers mentioned above that led to easy Oregon State buckets, especially the one off the inbounds pass with the game tied and the Pilots with the ball and an opportunity to take the lead. That one was such a momentum sapper.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:17 am

I agree with a lot of the posts regarding the game however I am going to go against the grain and say that overall the Pilots played prety well. Overall it was a well executed game with some early season mistakes thrown in.
We executed pretty well against the 1-3-1 zone, getting the ball to the high post resulting in some great assists to the wings, mid range jumpers, and penetration to the hoop. What I would have liked to see more of is Rev running the guards through the zone after a pass to create some movement by the defense. All in all we got some good looks, not as many fell as Im sure the players wanted but the point is they were shots within the offense which is a stark contrast to the endless shots near the end of the shot clock from last year.

Yes there were some turnovers, the one that seemed to stand out to posters here was the inbounds pass under our basket. The reality is that Kevin slipped and wasnt able to recover as the ball was in the air. Tough break for sure. That said I sure wish they would come up with a better baseline out of bounds play. Am I the only one that cringes when we lob the ball over the top every time?

What we need to keep in mind is that the players that play for Pac 12 teams are there for a reason. It doesnt matter how "bad" the team is, the type of athlete is usually at a higher level, bigger, faster, more athletic. Yes, some of our T/O's were unforced but then again some were caused pretty much because of the competition. Its a great learning experience which hopefully will help come conference time.

If I were to grade this game I would give it a B-. Yes there are things to work on but there was a lot of well played basketball last night.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:34 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Bobby Sharp Shooter kept the Pilots in the game and Voldy finally showed some of the form we know he’s capable of.
DeanMurdoch wrote:It hasn't been mentioned on here yet, but the strong play of Voldy Gerun was huge for the Pilots in the second-half comeback. Had a chuckle when the Pac-12 commentator goes "this was certainly not a guy that Oregon State keyed on in film sessions this week". Gerun was 3-for-4 from the field and hit all three of his free throws in four minutes played, then was subbed out near the 11-minute mark and wasn't heard from again.
As the game wound down I too wondered why Voldy wasn't going back in the game after being so effective in his limited minutes, but I have to believe Coach Reveno felt Rhino could take the team on his back with his leadership and play during the stretch run.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next