Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 WCC Basketball Tournament in Las Vegas

4 posters

Go down

2014 WCC Basketball Tournament in Las Vegas Empty 2014 WCC Basketball Tournament in Las Vegas

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Arrrgh, even more days in Las Vegas, with no men's basketball on Friday and Sunday:

Flash: The WCC just announced the dates for its 2014 Men's and Women's Basketball Championships…..Thursday, March 6 through Tuesday, March 11 at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.

With the University of the Pacific returning to the WCC this summer a new 10-team tournament format will feature first round games involving the seven through 10 seeds on Thursday, four women's quarterfinal games on Friday, and four men's quarterfinal games on Saturday.

The tournament will take Sunday off before resuming Monday, March 10 with a pair of women's semifinal games and two men's semifinals.

The two championship games will be played on Tuesday, March 11.

In many ways this is a good change in that there are no more double-byes for the upper seeds, and there is a day off between the winners of the men's 7-10 and 8-9 games before playing the #1 and #2 seeds on Saturday.  But there is no such day off for the women's teams, and it means some awfully early games on Thursday (presumably the women's games) to get in EIGHT games in one day.

(For the first time, two WCC men's quarterfinal games will air nationally on ESPN2. On Monday, one men's semifinal game will air on ESPN with the other airing on ESPN2. The women's championship game will once again air on ESPNU, and the West Coast Conference men's championship game will be televised on ESPN.)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11276
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2014 WCC Basketball Tournament in Las Vegas Empty Re: 2014 WCC Basketball Tournament in Las Vegas

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Sweet mercy, only the BYU fans are equipped to handle almost a week in Vegas... Pretty evident this is a combination of appeasing BYU religious policy and getting more games in front of a national audience... Seems like a recipe for more empty seats.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

2014 WCC Basketball Tournament in Las Vegas Empty Re: 2014 WCC Basketball Tournament in Las Vegas

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:59 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:But there is no such day off for the women's teams, and it means some awfully early games on Thursday (presumably the women's games) to get in EIGHT games in one day.
It's not that bad...max four games per day (12:00, 2:00, 6:00, 8:00)

Thursday - four games (7/10, 8/9 for men & women)
Friday - four games (women's quarterfinals)
Saturday - four games (men's quarterfinals)
Monday - four games (women's semis, men's semis)
Tuesday - two championships (1:00 and 6:00)

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:59 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:In many ways this is a good change in that there are no more double-byes for the upper seeds, and there is a day off between the winners of the men's 7-10 and 8-9 games before playing the #1 and #2 seeds on Saturday.  But there is no such day off for the women's teams, and it means some awfully early games on Thursday (presumably the women's games) to get in EIGHT games in one day.
DD, there are only 4 games on Thrusday, not 8...  the Women's #7 vs #10 (Noon), the Women's #8 vs #9 (2pm), and the Men's #7 vs #10 (6pm) and #8 vs #9 (8pm).

There is a mock up of the bracket with times & dates at the end of the WCC Press Release.

I guess there is no way around having the tournament last 6 days when you have BYU and 9 other teams.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:03 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:But there is no such day off for the women's teams, and it means some awfully early games on Thursday (presumably the women's games) to get in EIGHT games in one day.
It's not that bad...max four games per day (12:00, 2:00, 6:00, 8:00)

Thursday - four games (7/10, 8/9 for men & women)
Friday - four games (women's quarterfinals)
Saturday - four games (men's quarterfinals)
Monday - four games (women's semis, men's semis)
Tuesday - two championships (1:00 and 6:00)
OK, four games on Thursday....BUT THAT'S STILL PRETTY DARNED EARLY FOR LAS VEGAS....unless you're playing golf!

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:06 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:BUT THAT'S STILL PRETTY DARNED EARLY FOR LAS VEGAS
Lot of caps lock over there. Just settle down and book your trip for Saturday and get there just in time to see the Pilots take on the winner of the 8/9 game!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:13 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:BUT THAT'S STILL PRETTY DARNED EARLY FOR LAS VEGAS
Lot of caps lock over there. Just settle down and book your trip for Saturday and get there just in time to see the Pilots take on the winner of the 8/9 game!
Ha-ha, always the optimist.

Already booked....in on Wednesday late afternoon; out on the following Wednesday early afternoon.

More time off means more overpriced golf in Las Vegas, but it is what it is.

First we've got the Dec 20, 21 games against Princeton and Bradley in Las Vegas.......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:55 am

DaTruRochin wrote:Sweet mercy, only the BYU fans are equipped to handle almost a week in Vegas... Pretty evident this is a combination of appeasing BYU religious policy and getting more games in front of a national audience... Seems like a recipe for more empty seats.
I believe you’re correct, DTR….it would seem especially difficult/impossible for students to attend now….and that’s wrong!

Of course all the tickets will be sold because it gives the GU fans a good way to get away from Spokane, but there may not be the diversity of schools/fans that we always hope for.

Some students might be able to make it for Friday, Saturday, Sunday games…..but wait,  there are no men’s games on Friday and Sunday!!

In the past there have been hundreds of GU students because they have spring break the same week as the tournament….and that will probably continue if their break coincides with the Monday, Tuesday games….but for most everyone else it will mean watching the tournament via the expanded TV coverage.

I heard it suggested (by someone in my home) that BYU should have to earn Sunday off during the tournament by playing in the final game in the previous year....harsh, but apparently non-sectarian. tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:06 pm

undefined wrote:I heard it suggested (by someone in my home) that BYU should have to earn Sunday off during the tournament by playing in the final game in the previous year....harsh, but apparently non-sectarian. tongue

All you have to do is change the NCAA bylaws. Right now a team that registers that it won't play on a particular day for religious reasons has to be accommodated.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11809
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:14 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:All you have to do is change the NCAA bylaws. Right now a team that registers that it won't play on a particular day for religious reasons has to be accommodated.

Note to WCC - don't admit any Seventh Day Adventist schools in the near future!

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:37 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:
All you have to do is change the NCAA bylaws. Right now a team that registers that it won't play on a particular day for religious reasons has to be accommodated.

I am certain that it was also part of the agreement when BYU joined the WCC.  It is a pain for everyone else, but I do sort of respect their hard line on the issue.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:47 am

Oh man, does this sound familiar…..

Former NBA All-Star Baron Davis recently shared a story about the time he was abducted by aliens while on a late night drive from Las Vegas…..that ends with him eating burgers at In ‘N Out.

Although in one respect his close encounter was different than that of many Pilots’ fans in Las Vegas….he said it was beneficial, ….”Now, like, I come back and, like, I’m, like, sharper and s***, you know what I mean? Like, I’m retaining information.”

I can't wait for the basketball season to end so we can spend a week in Las Vegas in March so I can start retaining information....you know what I mean? Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down