Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WCC TOURNAMENT

+7
Geezaldinho
oldtimer
bctigard
PilotNut
blacksheep
mattywizz
DoubleDipper
11 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

WCC TOURNAMENT - Page 4 Empty Re: WCC TOURNAMENT

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Well, I have never accomplished drinking all the great beers in Portland on the same day. That is true.

But there is nothing in Las Vegas that even wants me to walk into the place.

I have found much better beers In Moab Utah, which if you think about Utah, is pretty amazing.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 pm

I'm sure many of you watched the game on television, but for those of us who stayed around and watched it in person, the best part was just the overall atmosphere and spirit of good sportsmanship and comradeship displayed by the fans from both sides.

Gonzaga was clearly the dominant team but Saint Marys shouldn't hang their head after losing to the #1 team in the nation. Saint Marys should still get a bid to the NCAA tournament and could give a higher seed team a tough game.

Elias Harris was the tournament MVP, and the All-Tournament Team was Olynyk (GU), Waldo (SMC), Dee (USD), and Ireland (LMU).

The worst part for all of us was when Jorden Page went down with yet another knee injury that looked bad. I believe he has already taken 1 redshirt year for an ACL; I hope he can come back strong for his senior year. Basketball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11312
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:44 pm

A disappointing amount of purple in the stands this evening; I only counted 3 of us wearing Pilot's gear. Not even the Senior Associate Athletic Director/SWA wore purple tonight, and she was seated in the front row on the court. Very disappointing!

As the tournament will be at the Orleans for at least the next four years, I hope we see a better turnout in the years to come. Very Happy

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:55 pm

I guarantee that if the Pilots are playing on Monday we will be well represented with Purple.

Even if I don't go down for the tournament, I'll show up- bad beer, dead Sunday and all.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:52 am

DoubleDipper wrote:A disappointing amount of purple in the stands this evening; I only counted 3 of us wearing Pilot's gear. Not even the Senior Associate Athletic Director/SWA wore purple tonight, and she was seated in the front row on the court. Very disappointing!

As the tournament will be at the Orleans for at least the next four years, I hope we see a better turnout in the years to come. Very Happy

Yeah, I had a Pilot t-shirt on, but under another shirt. Didn't get begged by scalpers wanting my ticket. Maybe I should have sold it, though. I had been up early and slept poorly, so I was nodding off during the game. And I could of used some cash to offset my efforts at the blackjack tables.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Looked at all the WCC posters and team banners when heading to bed last night (this morning) after hanging out with GU and SMC fans at pub, but woke up later wondering where I was. All the WCC banners and posters had already been replaced by those of the WAC......weird!

Seattle U, Texas St., UT San Antonio, and San Jose St. playing in Orleans tonight.

I also saw some Wyoming and Nevada fans at the hotel this morning…..it turns out the Mountain West Tournament also started today at the Thomas and Mack Center at UNLV.

And of course the Pac-12 Tournament starts Wednesday at the MGM Grand.

Fun basketball times in Las Vegas! Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:04 pm

During the Monday night game the big screen showed the names of the WCC men's basketball players who made the All-American Academic first team.....but I wasn't too sure why it was the All-American Team: Embarassed

First Team: Kelly Olynyk (Kamloops, British Columbia)
Second Team: Matthew Dellavedova (Maryborough, Australia)
Third Team: Marc Trasolini (Vancouver, British Columbia)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:50 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:During the Monday night game the big screen showed the names of the WCC men's basketball players who made the All-American Academic first team.....but I wasn't too sure why it was the All-American Team: Embarassed

First Team: Kelly Olynyk (Kamloops, British Columbia)
Second Team: Matthew Dellavedova (Maryborough, Australia)
Third Team: Marc Trasolini (Vancouver, British Columbia)

Your chauvanism is showing. Canadians are Americans too. So are Mexicans.
A person or attribute of one of the nations of the Americas

In Argentina, they will tell you they are also.

Dellavedova has been playing for Saint Mary's almost long enough to qualify.

Of course, another definition only includes First Nation Peoples, in which case we need to all get on a ship out.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 pm

Yea, I considered the Americas angle when I wrote it....but totally disregarded the accuracy of my words for a cheap laugh. Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:12 pm

As odd as it may seem, a week after losing their only game in the WCC Tournament to LMU, San Francisco beat Northern Kentucky this evening, 73-68, at home. Rolling Eyes

I can only guess Rex scheduled the game as a tune-up for whatever post-season tournament they were/are planning to be a part of. Actually....not a bad move considering how stale Gonzaga and St. Mary's looked last Saturday after a week's layoff.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Well, the WCC Tournament was over long ago, but everyone else has been having a great time....and I think I've watched most of the games over the last 3 days.

There was a good battle between UP foes New Mexico and UNLV tonight....UNM is tough; they might even get a 3 seed in my estimation….both will dance

Our friends at Ohio U were blown out by Akron....I doubt they'll be dancing this year.

Montana (NOT Montana State) won the Big Sky Tournament.

I scouted newcomer to the WCC, Pacific, the last two nights on their way to winning the Big West Tournament. But I don't think my scouting report will hold up as Pacific's coach is retiring after the NCAA Tournament and they graduate 7 seniors. (Of their roster of 18, they have 12 transfers....#maturity).

Whoa, I don't know who will win the Big 10 between Ohio St and Wisconsin tomorrow, but I loved the BIGS at both schools, especially at UW.

Finally, Oregon. After fading toward the end of the season they looked good tonight against a UCLA team that was missing their PG. Not sure how deep they'll go though if the face a BIG team.

Oh, and finally again, Gonzaga. They will have been "off" for at least 10 days when they face their next opponent....if they play like they did against LMU in the first half in the WCC Tournament after 7 days off, they could bomb out in the first game. They'd better get a 1 seed and face the weakest entry of the final 64 or be a lot sharper this time around. With Duke and Indiana losing in their tournaments….it could be that GU will be THE number one seed….and play the number 65 or 64 seed….that would be nice.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:03 pm

With an hour to go until the selections are announced....I'm guessing Louisville will be THE #1 seed.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:17 pm

There are 68 teams this year so any #1 seed gets to play a team that just came from a play in game this year.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:08 pm

dholcombe wrote:There are 68 teams this year so any #1 seed gets to play a team that just came from a play in game this year.
Hmm, well if 65 plays 68 and 67 plays 68, there will only be two play-in teams left to play a #1 seed....or is there another scenario?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:17 pm

well...I forget how it works...I'm starting to think they don't play into the 16 slots. I forget. Maybe they play in to the 12. I remember thinking the same thing when they started this. I guess the theory is the play in teams are better than some of the conference winners.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:31 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:With an hour to go until the selections are announced....I'm guessing Louisville will be THE #1 seed.
So, Louisville does get the #1 overall seed.

I watched a heck of a lot of basketball this season and this week, and regardless of rankings or ratings, they just looked to be the best team at the end of the season. Cool

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:35 pm

There are four play-in/opening round/First Four games. Two of them are between teams who will be 16 seeds in the next round. Two of them are between the last four at-large teams in. The winners' seeds and places in the bracket are already determined. Their actual seed can be anything but 12 is about the lowest seed an at-large will get.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 pm

Yea, thanks, PPT.

I believe I saw St. Mary's is one of those play-in teams at the #11 seed against Middle Tenn. St. The winner will have to play #6 Memphis.

I think Boise St. and LaSalle are playing-in at #13.

Hoping someone starts an NCAA Tournament thread soon....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:17 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Hoping someone starts an NCAA Tournament thread soon....

Where's Rochin with the Bracket Challenge??
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4