Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Recruiting

+14
VillaGorilla
blacksheep
KTodd
Bluff dweller
wrv
IronLions
Geezaldinho
joshhorton
Rob's Jacket
oldtimer
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

2014 Recruiting - Page 12 Empty Re: 2014 Recruiting

Post by Guest Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:24 am

Not a lot of news in this thread lately. An update on the Pilots' two NLIs -

• Gabe Taylor and Valley Catholic open their 2013-14 season tonight at home against Blanchet Catholic. Also play on Sunday at Dayton HS, the first two of five non-league games before the 3A Lewis & Clark League games start on Dec. 20 against Oregon Episcopal.

• Jason Todd's Jackson HS starts the season Dec. 13 at Edmonds-Woodway.

Not sure if Oliver Tot remains a serious target after not signing during the early period, but his Kimball Union Academy team starts the season this afternoon.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:52 am

Yes, as you said, DM, there's not a lot to report....but I can tell you the coaches are on the road looking at potential recruits for the next several years while keeping an eye out for a hidden gem for 2014.  I believe the strategy is still to pick up a 2014 high school graduate and go after a JUCO and/or D-1 transfer to fill-out the remainder of this year's recruiting class.

I think UP is still strong in the running for Oliver.  His waiting until April to sign could be good for both sides....he may get more offers, and UP may discover another prospect that perfectly suits the team's needs. Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11311
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:23 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:YesI think UP is still strong in the running for Oliver.  His waiting until April to sign could be good for both sides....he may get more offers, and UP may discover another prospect that perfectly suits the team's needs. Cool
While I appreciate the info the two of you provide and the optimism evident in your posts, I cannot sit for more of the perfectly fits comments, or, as here "perfectly suits." Only theologians, which no doubt are around here, and mathematicians, should allude to perfection. Basketball fans and coaches alike should show some restraint and refer to prospective recruits as "good" fits. Though short of perfection, the word fits well, even if itself overused. Who among us would want to be judged on a scale of perfection before being able to join a club.

Carry on.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1425
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:06 pm

I think you expressed yourself perfectly.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:22 pm

wrv wrote:While I appreciate the info the two of you provide and the optimism evident in your posts, I cannot sit for more of the perfectly fits comments, or, as here "perfectly suits." Only theologians, which no doubt are around here, and mathematicians, should allude to perfection. Basketball fans and coaches alike should show some restraint and refer to prospective recruits as "good" fits. Though short of perfection, the word fits well, even if itself overused. Who among us would want to be judged on a scale of perfection before being able to join a club.
 2014 Recruiting - Page 12 Hooked10
Ha, ha, ha ---- thanks, wrv…..you took the bait!

I can assure you I was thinking of your previous admonishments when I again used the “P” word….but just couldn’t resist eliciting another response.  You were perfectly correct in pointing out my perfectly silly use of "perfectly" in my post.   In the eyes of my cat, it was, well, "purrrfect." 

As to theologians and mathematicians, I have no knowledge of their prowess or abilities, but I can say, wrv, you are a perfect at pointing out our perfectly awful overuse of "perfection" in our daily musings….please keep it up Razz

I believe a perfect example of what you are saying came from Vince Lombardi who once said: “Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Bait taken . . .thanks for the clarification.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:31 pm

I believe a perfect example of what you are saying came from Vince Lombardi who once said: “Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
Another guy said it this way.

I am not so much result-oriented as teaching-orientated. If it becomes all about winning, all you get is frustrated when you lose. I can’t say results were secondary, but they were kind of linked up with everything else. I think you always look to the next game – how are we going to make it better, not perfect, but nearer perfect? I get a lot out of getting players to improve their game but also develop as people. I think the two things can be connected. 
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Two things:

• Oliver Tot left his first prep game with an ankle sprain
• wrv - go watch the movie "Friday Night Lights" if you would like to see an alternate definition of "being perfect" thanks to Coach Billy Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:24 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:• wrv - go watch the movie "Friday Night Lights" if you would like to see an alternate definition of "being perfect" thanks to Coach Billy Bob
Thanks for that DM…..for about the 100th time I played the DVD and once again listened to Coach Gary Gaines (Billy Bob Thornton).  I know a number of coaches who have these words memorized, for the most part:

“Being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It’s not about winning. It’s about you and your relationship to yourself, your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didn’t let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasn’t one more thing you could’ve done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do that gentlemen – then you’re perfect!”

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:05 pm

@kuahoops wrote:Crew Ainge and Max Silveira share the point after Oliver Tot injury in the first minute. Did the job as KUA turns it over just 11 times.
Not just an "early" injury to Tot, but in the first minute no less! Gotta be frustrating for the second tallest Slovakian that I know of (Zdeno Chara is the tallest).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:43 pm

@AllMetroDrew wrote:2014 3* C Kingsley Okoroh @Kingokoroh has received offers from #Utah, #Tennessee, #Oakland, & #Portland.
This guy is reporting that the Pilots have now offered Kingsley Okoroh.

You've got to think that the explosion of van der Mars this season would be nothing but a huge boon when recruiting an international big man like this.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:01 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
@AllMetroDrew wrote:2014 3* C Kingsley Okoroh @Kingokoroh has received offers from #Utah, #Tennessee, #Oakland, & #Portland.
This guy is reporting that the Pilots have now offered Kingsley Okoroh.

You've got to think that the explosion of van der Mars this season would be nothing but a huge boon when recruiting an international big man like this.
Hmm, I know we've written about Kingsley Okoroh before, and I note the tweet lists him as a 3-star athlete......but I very recently heard him mentioned as a "project!"  

"Possesses a rare combination of size, length and strength, but doesn't have any real idea how to use it at the moment. Lacks the athleticism to be considered a top-shelf center prospect, but could develop into something interesting with patient work and good coaching down the road."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:05 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
@kuahoops wrote:Crew Ainge and Max Silveira share the point after Oliver Tot injury in the first minute. Did the job as KUA turns it over just 11 times.
Not just an "early" injury to Tot, but in the first minute no less! Gotta be frustrating for the second tallest Slovakian that I know of (Zdeno Chara is the tallest).
It's only a rumor at best, but I've heard that Oliver may be looking for school where he can be THE PG.....I believe he's projected as a 2 or a 3 if he comes to UP.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:04 pm

So on the coaches show, our intrepid radio play by play man twice indicated that Reveno was in Arizona recruiting.

This young man continues to be mentioned as a potential recruit of the Pilots and he happens to play in Arizona: 

2014 Recruiting - Page 12 KINGSLEY%20OKOROH-150
Add to Favorites
Coincidence or evidence of our interest?      

Center
Phoenix, Arizona
Westwind Prep International
AAU: Las Vegas Prospects
View Map

• Ht:7'1"
  • Wt:245 lbs
  • Class:2014 (Prep School)

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:19 pm

wrv wrote:So on the coaches show, our intrepid radio play by play man twice indicated that Reveno was in Arizona recruiting.

This young man continues to be mentioned as a potential recruit of the Pilots and he happens to play in Arizona: 

Coincidence or evidence of our interest?
Oh, definitely interested, and it's pretty certain UP is recruiting him....but I would also say they are evaluating him to see if Kingsley Okoroh is exactly the kind of "project" Coach Reveno can help turn into a "game changer."

Kingsley's team, Westwind Prep, played on Saturday and Sunday in San Diego, and last night against Chandler-Gilbert Community College.  The "Post-Graduate" team that Kingsley plays on participates in over 50 games in a season....college ought to be a piece-a-cake after that.    Shocked 

As mentioned before, it would appear Kingsley would prefer a small school over a BIG one....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:16 pm

@AllMetroDrew wrote:2014 7' C Kingsley Okoroh @Kingokoroh is ranked #30 International NBA prospect. Has received serious interest from #UConn & #Gonzaga lately

Ruh roh. He likes small schools, eh? What's the enrollment at Gonzaga again, isn't it like 25,000?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:21 am

This kid (he’s 18) just popped-up on my radar:

Vasilije Pusica, a 6-4, 205  PG from Belgrade, Serbia, but balling at Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita.

From analyst/scout Djordje Matic:
Pusica can play both guard positions but the point guard spot suits him the best. Standing at 6-foot-4, Pusica is a creative guard with excellent handles and a solid court vision. He’s the type of player who can get everyone involved by creating offense through PNR or transition situations. He has an effective, good looking, off the bounce shot. He can fill a need at the shooting guard spot but you can’t take full advantage of his strengths that way. Defensively he has long ways to go on the ball, however he possesses decent anticipation when he plays the help side. Pusica is an extremely intelligent basketball player and many D1 college teams have started recruiting him hard.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

2014 Recruiting - Page 12 Empty Recruiting -- 2030

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:14 pm

I really didn't want to start a new thread for recruiting for the high school class of 2030, but I know this kid is currently getting looks from Witchita State and Nebraska, and I'm pretty sure UP's coaching staff is looking at him too...... Shocked 

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:This kid (he’s 18) just popped-up on my radar:

Vasilije Pusica, a 6-4, 205  PG from Belgrade, Serbia, but balling at Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita.

Well, I mentioned this guy three weeks ago - but you went to the extra effort of including a highlight reel, so I'm willing to call this one a wash.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:18 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
@Gus_bball wrote:Vasilije Pusica (6-4, '95)has offers from San Diego, Colorado St and Utep. Creighton, Providence, Portland & Maine showing interest as well.
Pusica is a Serbian PG and goes to Sunrise Christian in Wichita.
OK, I found it, dated November 22.....not sure how I skipped over it, but I know it's not the first time.

The video just came out yesterday....

Always of concern when UP recruits an overseas player (or even one just across the border), how are his academics and core courses???
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:34 pm

The ones from the Netherlands seem to do fine.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:15 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:The ones from the Netherlands seem to do fine.
Yea, for sure.

I could have worded what I said a lot better than I did.  I did not mean to imply overseas players have academic concerns.....what I meant was it can be quite a process to figure out a prospect's eligibility because of the various school systems, school courses, grading criteria, and if he's played on any teams that would cost him a year or more of eligibility....as happened to Robin and Voldy.  Evil or Very Mad 

BTW, as Voldy was initially vetted by the NCAA through WVU, it may behoove UP to go through the entire process once again (if Voldy wants that) to see if he can get back that year he initially lost.   However, I don't think that appeal can take place until after next season......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:24 pm

West Coast Convo on Twitter:
RT @AllMetroDrew: 2014 7'1 C Kingsley Okoroh (@Kingokoroh) tells me #Gonzaga is expected to watch his game tonight. #Zags #Bulldogs

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Vasilije Pusica, a 6-4, 205  PG from Belgrade, Serbia, but balling at Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita, has now picked up an offer from Nebraska.

He now has confirmed offers from UP, UTEP, USD, CSU, and Nebraska....there might be others too.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:03 pm

We seem overly fixated on foreign blood. This young man, Pusica, has a number of offers, such that an offer from the Pilots might hardly impress him. There are a number of big guards and small forwards on the board who hail from west of the Mississippi and think of the west as their home. Ryan Imhoff, 6’5”, in Napa, rated as a top 40 player in Northern Cal, can shoot and has some athleticism. Averaged over 23 points per game. Benson Osayande, Elk Grove, at 6’7" could play power forward for the Pilots, is now being chased by Pacific. 

Both are listed by Rivals as having received some interest from the Pilots. I readily concede that the list may be inaccurate, but there are more options than chasing preps from the Balkans.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next