Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm

+6
oh brody
NoPoNeighbor
oldtimer
PilotNut
blacksheep
DoubleDipper
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm Empty Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Portland will play one final exhibition game when the defending NAIA National Champion Concordia-Irvine Eagles visit the Chiles Center on Saturday at 4 p.m. It will be C-I’s second game of the season as they play New Hope Christian College in Eugene just 26 hours before playing the Pilots.

Concordia-Irvine has lost four of its top five scorers from last year to graduation, but boast a number of former D-1 players including three from the WCC.

Probably the most entertaining game for Pilots fans last season was the 99-97 exhibition win over Concordia-Irvine when then freshman guard David Carr made a fast break layup with 0.7 seconds remaining in overtime to give the Portland Pilots the victory; avenging the Pilots 68-65 loss to the Eagles the year before.

If we were to point to one glaring scoring line from that game it would have to be Tim Douglas’.
33 minutes
20 points (10/13 from the free throw line)
5 assists
10 turnovers

But now Tim is gone, and we’ll we look for the scoring and assists to come from someone else, and also aim to drastically cut the turnovers (23) UP committed last year.

Another notable line from that game comes from then SG David Carr:
28 minutes
14 points
1 assist
0 turnovers

Ryan Nicholas had 14 pts; Kevin Bailey had 18 pts (8/12 FT), and Riley Barker had 14 boards, but as team UP was outrebounded 48-44 last year.

Concordia-Irvine went on to be NAIA champs, but I’m sure they are looking for revenge for last year's game after taking only 16 free throws (13/16) to the Pilots’ 38 (26/38) and losing two key players to fouls.

It should be a good one…..
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11259
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm Empty Re: Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm

Post by blacksheep Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:37 am

For those of us that can't be there (I know, PRIORITIES! Mad ), is there a way to watch the game online? Anyone have a link?
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm Empty Re: Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm

Post by PilotNut Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:40 am

blacksheep wrote:For those of us that can't be there (I know, PRIORITIES! Mad )

Wait, what?! No

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:52 am

PilotNut wrote:
blacksheep wrote:For those of us that can't be there (I know, PRIORITIES! Mad )

Wait, what?! No

I heard there wouldn't be any beer in the Pilot Club, so I'm boycotting!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:18 am

blacksheep wrote:For those of us that can't be there (I know, PRIORITIES! Mad ), is there a way to watch the game online? Anyone have a link?
Nope! There is NO way to get the game online.......

Where you're going, you won't be able to get the internet anyway!

Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm Dory10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:31 am

This game is going to be a battle, C-Irvine is a very solid ball club and they will give the home team all they can handle. Lets hope it doesnt come down to another Carr layup to seal the victory although those games are always fun for the winning team.
The game last week was on KPDQ but I dont know if this weeks will be as well.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:51 am

oldtimer wrote:The game last week was on KPDQ but I don’t know if this weeks will be as well.
I once checked to see if the games were on KPDQ-FM or KPDQ.com, but they were only on KPDQ-AM 800. I don't know about the rest of you, but none of the car radios I've owned over the last few years could get a signal strong enough from 800 to listen to much more than annoying static and strong stations overriding the 800 signal.

I spoke to Bill Johnson, our play-by-play announcer about it, and he said he'd heard the same complaint from many, including the Linfield football crowd whose games are broadcast on KPDQ....with Bill Johnson as the announcer.

Rolling Eyes As it's Saturday, and my cell phone minutes are unlimited, I'll just give blacksheep updates from time-to-time....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 am

Last Saturdays game was online through the radio station. I agree with the signal strength on the radio but the stream through the internet was fine. Hopefully it will be online again this weekend.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:18 pm

So, anyone have some goals set for our basketball team tomorrow night?

As we were outrebounded 48-44 and had 23 turnovers against Concordia-Irvine last year.....those should be two areas that will be closely looked at.

Individually, I would like to see Kevin Bailey have a break-out game; Bryce Pressley and Oskars Reinfelds show us why they should be NOT be redshirts this year; and David Carr and Derrick Rodgers have steady, productive minutes at PG.

Winning is NOT important, but they'd better...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:39 pm

I agree with DD's goals. Also:
- More points from the centers
- Dorian Cason gets some goods minutes and proves his worth
- Continue to the good shooting from the charity stripe
- And hold the turnovers to under 15 again!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by oh brody Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:46 pm

We need another consistent offensive threat and I believe Tanner has the potential to be that threat. So in addition to DD and NPN, I would like to see Tanner score in double digits with a mixture of outside and driving buckets.
oh brody
oh brody
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:41 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I agree with DD's goals. Also:

To that end, we did get this tweet this week

Eric Reveno (@CoachReveno) tweeted at 1:30pm - 30 Oct 12:

Going to beat the heck out of our posts today in practice. Really. And it literally will hurt me more than it hurts them. #and1 (https://twitter.com/CoachReveno/status/263377336395771904)

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
NoPoNeighbor wrote:I agree with DD's goals. Also:

To that end, we did get this tweet this week

Eric Reveno (@CoachReveno) tweeted at 1:30pm - 30 Oct 12:

Going to beat the heck out of our posts today in practice. Really. And it literally will hurt me more than it hurts them. #and1 (https://twitter.com/CoachReveno/status/263377336395771904)
There you go forgetting again.....giving credit where credit is due.....DeanMurdoch posted that on Tuesday.....
Reveno on Twitter -

Going to beat the heck out of our posts today in practice. Really. And it literally will hurt me more than it hurts them. #and1

Guy never fails to crack me up Smile
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:14 pm

Yeah, but I gave the time....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:17 pm

Heres what I would like to see
1) Anxious to see how Barker is coming along. I think all year it will be a battle between he and Thomas for the starting spot.
2) Tanner is the X factor. He needs to stay healthy and ready to contribute from behind the arc.
3) Rebound rebound rebound
4) The locker room
5) Derrick should be back, curious to see how the PG position looks under his senior leadership
6) Handle the pressure. Concordia will press and apply hard man to man. UP needs to limit turnovers.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:41 pm

oldtimer wrote:Heres what I would like to see
1) Anxious to see how Barker is coming along. I think all year it will be a battle between he and Thomas for the starting spot.
2) Tanner is the X factor. He needs to stay healthy and ready to contribute from behind the arc.
3) Rebound rebound rebound
4) The locker room
5) Derrick should be back, curious to see how the PG position looks under his senior leadership
6) Handle the pressure. Concordia will press and apply hard man to man. UP needs to limit turnovers.
All excellent things we'd like to see, but the easiest one for you to control is #4, seeing the locker room.

You should see it, and all the other new facilities on the Chiles Center. There are probably any number of people who would love to show you around, but as you're an avid men’s basketball fan, I suggest you call the Men’s Basketball Director of Operations, Marshall Cho at 503-943-7714 or email him at cho@up.edu.

I think you'll not only be impressed with the new facilities, but with Marshall too. Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Pictures don't do the locker room justice I imagine, but....

Men's Basketball
Old Locker Room:
Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm AqIYnaFCAAAzYPK

New locker room:
Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm 11703989-standard

Men's Basketball video board that everyone talks about:
Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm A5LtSt_CIAIkrwh
Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm A31g-cPCAAEg1Tx

Men's XC/T&F
Old:
Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm 4256669754
New:
Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm 421679713

Baseball
Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm Oc5gtsxpj:tw1
Concordia-Irvine @ Pilots 11/3 @ 4 pm Ocioqfaj:tw1

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:15 am

Concordia-Irvine defeated New Hope Christian College in Eugene yesterday 77-54, but I don't think that tells us much.

Spoke to one of UP's coaches who said, "This will be a good test for us, Concordia can really play."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:17 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:There you go forgetting again.....giving credit where credit is due.....DeanMurdoch posted that on Tuesday.....

Look at me, it only took five years to post something relevant.

Here's another something relevant - Concordia-Irvine returns zero of their five starters from last season's NAIA championship team, though Donnell Phifer is listed as a redshirt so might be able to play for them against the Pilots tonight without wrecking his RS. Four D-1 transfers on the team...based on nothing more than a wild guess I'll say Pilots 80, Concordia-Irvine 64 tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Interestingly, there are 3 former WCC players on their roster:

# Name Cl. Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown Previous School
3 Peter Smith SR G 5-11 155 Escondido, CA University of San Francisco
22 Tim Harris JR SG 6-3 205 San Jose, CA Saint Mary's College
33 Chris Gabriel JR PF 6-11 275 Cape Town, South Africa University of San Diego

I recognize the names, but that is about it...

I look forward to seeing Nicholas leading the team, and hope to see some battles for starter/playing time between van der Mars and Barker. Tanner will need to get some looks and hit some shots, and I look forward to seeing the future, in how Oskars lines up against a good opponent.

Go Pilots!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Hey DD, since i didn't get any texts, how about a game report? Very Happy
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:44 pm

blacksheep wrote:Hey DD, since i didn't get any texts, how about a game report? Very Happy
Oh, was I supposed to text you.? Remember I only have a “dumb” phone and “old person’s” phone plan…..so texting costs money!!

Sorry, for the delay, but we had a Women’s Soccer game against USF to attend soon after the basketball game…..

Will post soon.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Well, the Pilots don’t have a PG controversy. David Carr playing with a bunch of stitches closing a deep gash over his eye from an elbow on Wednesday, and sporting goggles to give his wound some protection, was very, very steady. Last year against C-I Tim Douglas had 5 assists, 10 turnovers and 20 points in 33 minutes; tonight David had 7 assists, 1 turnover and 10 points in 23 minutes.

We also found our preferred starting lineup:

David Carr
Kevin Bailey
Ryan Nicholas
Thomas van der Mars
Tanner Riley

First off the bench are:

Pressley
Barker
Rodgers
J. Bailey

Concordia-Irvine was a fun team to watch with their hyper energy, noise making bench, animated coach (he got a technical foul) and tenacious defense. It was a great test for the Pilots, and they passed. Not just because they won 79-66, but because, except for a couple of obvious exceptions, the players weren’t rattled by the speedy defense of C-I. Thirteen turnovers against this team is a very GOOD number….and 10 fewer than last year.

Hard to say how good C-I’s offense is, but UP’s defense was very good for almost 30 minutes today; maybe not the 40 Coach Reveno is looking for, but I don’t recall our defenders being so active as they were this evening.

The breakout game came from Tanner, not just because he scored 27, but because he was making athletic play after athletic play late in the game to keep the Pilots ahead. He was particularly effective around the basket with his reverse moves and layups.

The MVP had to be Carr….when he was not in the game, the Pilots’ offense stagnated. Rogers had 3 assists and 3 turnovers in 19 minutes, and did not score at all. He did attempt a three point shot, and everyone roared their “it’s about time” approval, but he is no offensive threat. I think Derrick could be effective against some lineups he can drive against, but the Pilots better have someone waiting in the wings that can self-generate some offense if Carr were to be injured.

Still coming back from injury, Cason just wasn’t ready for the speed demanded by this game and didn’t play. Thieleke did not suit-up because of a bruised knee. Barker, van der Mars, and J Bailey all looked very solid. Ahern did not play, and Reinfelds and Ehlers played as if their feet were in cement. Based only upon what I saw during the two exhibition games, Reinfelds, Ehlers, and Ahern should all redshirt. Disappointing, especially in the case of Oskars, but he’d be better off learning the NCAA game during a year of practice. (On the practice court without defenders he's an absolute wizard with the ball, so it's just a matter of time before he'll take that performance into a game situation).

It was a fun game to watch; if the Pilots can continue to play as a TEAM with the same high energy they showed today, they could surprise a few teams….or is that just my heart talking? Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Men’s Hoops Knocks off Defending NAIA National Champion Concordia-Irvine

PORTLAND, Ore. --- Junior guard Tanner Riley led four Portland players in double figures with a game-high 27 points as the Pilots defeated reigning NAIA national champion Concordia-Irvine 79-66 Saturday night in an exhibition game at the Chiles Center.

Sophomore guard Kevin Bailey added 13 points, while junior forward Ryan Nicholas chipped in 11 points and eight rebounds. Sophomore David Carr was solid again at the point guard position, finishing with 10 points, seven assists, four rebounds and just one turnover.

Portland knew it would be in for a challenge against the Eagles, who travelled to the Rose City for the third straight year. The Pilots pulled out a 68-65 exhibition win two years ago and needed an overtime buzzer-beating layup by Carr last season for a 99-97 victory.

Saturday was a different story as the young Pilots jumped out to an early double digit lead that swelled to a 42-23 margin at halftime. Portland’s largest lead was 22 points early in the second period, but the Eagles were able to chip away close the deficit to 65-59 on a pair of Dakota Downs free throws.

Riley answered with his third three-pointer of the game on the next possession, but a Peter Smith layup again made it a six-point game with 2:25 remaining. Riley finished a nice backdoor pass from Carr and then made two free throws to push the margin back to double digits and seal the win.

Portland, which committed 23 turnovers against Concordia’s pressure last year, was forced into just 13 turnovers on Saturday and dished out 15 assists. The Pilots also shot 54 percent from the field and gained a 37-26 rebound advantage. Portland’s defense limited the Eagles to 37 percent from the floor and racked up nine blocked shots.

Downs paced the Eagles with 18 points, while Tim Harris finished with 16.

The Pilots will now prepare for their season-opener on Saturday, Nov. 10 at Ohio University, which returns almost its entire roster from a squad that reach the Sweet 16 a season ago. Tip-off is scheduled for 11 a.m. (Pacific) and radio coverage will begin at 10:30 a.m. on TrueTalk 800 AM and simulcast live on PortlandPilots.com.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Great recap, DD... I have to say for the first half and most of the 2nd, the Pilots looked good... I have not seen us push the ball up the floor like that since the TJ Campbell days! Carr looked really good today.

Let's hope we can stay healthy and start the season with a big win on the road in Ohio!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next