Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

River Campus--Baseball Stadium updates

+7
PilotNut
wrv
mattywizz
Shadrach
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

River Campus--Baseball Stadium updates - Page 3 Empty Re: River Campus--Baseball Stadium updates

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:40 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Does this mean I should sell the kayak I bought to shag balls in Etzel Cove?
The exercise is good for you, but it’s probably premature to think the water is good too!

River Campus--Baseball Stadium updates - Page 3 70080310
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11311
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

River Campus--Baseball Stadium updates - Page 3 Empty Re: River Campus--Baseball Stadium updates

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Too bad. What are they going to do with this artists rendering of the river stadium?

River Campus--Baseball Stadium updates - Page 3 1c22e5e83f05c557495c331cbbd89af7
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:05 am

DoubleDipper wrote:It would appear the 45 acre creosote land that Geez rightly pointed out is NOT owned by UP, and that will be cleaned up by the government, is being offered for sale at a rock-bottom price. If UP were to purchase the land it would than own 80 acres on the river that could one day, many years from now, be used for athletic fields, a recreational area and even a first class X-C site....some day!
Hmm, it turns out the 45 acre creosote site has already been cleaned through the generosity of taxpayers for a bazillion dollars....anybody want some waterfront property?

Again, I'm waiting for something from someone who may know more than rumor, but I understand one can never dig down into the "cleaned" soil to secure footings for a building of any height, so the area is still probably destined to be playing fields.....not a high-rise retirement center for prematurely and quickly aging Pilots basketball fans and one 6'8" coach in his seventh season on the Bluff.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:07 am

Cleaned up to the tune of 50 million or so.

You can get a hint for what you can or can't do with the site here:

http://www.epa.gov/region10/pdf/sites/mccormick_baxter/2005_mccormick_&_baxter_creosoting_co_preliminary_close_out_report.pdf

The city also stuck is nose in, and the report says that after studying residential, industrial, university, and mixed use, the city thinks the best use is " recreational" . And I think that's how it is zoned. Look at the last couple pages.

I don't expect they are thinking of any new campus down there as a possibility.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:01 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:not a high-rise retirement center for prematurely and quickly aging Pilots basketball fans and one 6'8" coach in his seventh season on the Bluff.

It has been pointed out to me this is the last year of the men's basketball coach's contract.

I'll just set that on the table and be going now.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:40 pm

oh my

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:10 pm

WOW!! The bar has been raised....is it too high for UP?

The baseball weather in San Diego is already a big advantage....

Good find!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon May 13, 2013 10:51 am

So the plan now, if anyone didn't know, is to remodel Etzel Field, and they're off to a good start with a very generous donation from the mother of a former player:

http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2013/5/13/BSB_0513133234.aspx

PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon May 13, 2013 11:28 am

Adding lights to the field will be huge... I think there is a great opportunity to grab additional fans for games, with the current lack of other baseball options in Portland proper.

Etzel Field is in sore need of a major remodel; in terms of keeping up with the Joneses in the WCC, we are behind.

This is exciting news!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13, 2013 11:55 am

Does it seem weird to install artificial turf in Joe Etzel stadium? Wasn't grooming great grass turf one of his passions? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon May 13, 2013 3:44 pm

up7587 wrote:Does it seem weird to install artificial turf in Joe Etzel stadium? Wasn't grooming great grass turf one of his passions? scratch
Perhaps, but Joe doesn't OWN the field, it was simply named for him because of his wonderful contributions to all athletic programs while at UP, but especially baseball.

The yearlong playability and comparative simplicity of upkeep should be a huge upgrade to the field.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon May 13, 2013 3:50 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:Does it seem weird to install artificial turf in Joe Etzel stadium? Wasn't grooming great grass turf one of his passions? scratch
Perhaps, but Joe doesn't OWN the field, it was simply named for him because of his wonderful contributions to all athletic programs while at UP, but especially baseball.

The yearlong playability and comparative simplicity of upkeep should be a huge upgrade to the field.

I hope that doesn't become the rationale for putting Turf down on Merlo...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun May 26, 2013 11:44 am

PilotNut wrote:USD is renovating their facility for next year, as well... and it looks beautiful! I dont think they have the same turf/grass concerns... Can we get some palm trees?

River Campus--Baseball Stadium updates - Page 3 Ballpa10
USD won the WCC Championship yesterday in Stockton by beating USF 2-0.

Does the nice new baseball stadium equal a championship team? IMO it sure can't hurt! pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3