Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Women's Pro League!

+28
Auto-Pilot
ChrisAWK
KFTC
harryb
soccerjoy
purple passion
ejjqb
Harry Redknapp
Tahira99
Indigo Kid
OldePilot
Nacional Tijuana
PilotNut
saebo98661
Dan No Yell
VillaGorilla
LadySoccerLover
keeper
A_Fan
onetouchfutbol
Stonehouse
Geezaldinho
SoreKnees
purple haze
DoubleDipper
UPSoccerFanatic
PurplePrideTrumpet
DaTruRochin
32 posters

Page 12 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Go down

New Women's Pro League! - Page 12 Empty Re: New Women's Pro League!

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Nice to see Marian Dalmy on the Thorns free agent list too. She was a very tough opponent at Santa Clara.

Maybe Tina meant she wouldn't be playing in Seattle, since she resides down here, I think.

Any inklings on Elli Reed's intentions? There's one more set of possible signings, of "discovery" players. With the Thorns passing in the sixth round of the Supplemental Draft, I'm wondering if they already have some players in mind.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Sure would like to see Elli and Dani in the league.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Any word on Michelle Enyart's status these days?

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:14 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:Nice to see Marian Dalmy on the Thorns free agent list too. She was a very tough opponent at Santa Clara.

I was going to say that, but then I though about her running around at Buck Shaw in 2008 with gold streamers in her hair and doing cartwheels directly in front of Clive when she scored the eighth goal in probably the worst pasting UP ever took, when we had almost all freshmen on the field and they were at their peak.

But maybe it's time to let go....

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by keeper Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:15 pm

The last time I saw Michelle at a Pilot's game, I got the impression her playing days may be behind her. I still get a sick feeling in the stomach when I think of how ugly that injury was. If anyone has contrary information, it would be great to hear. I always enjoyed watching that kid play.

keeper
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:18 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:The curious pick was Tina Ellertson, who tweeted this week that she wouldn't play this year - family comes first.
Um, she's a neighbor, so maybe just heading across the bridge gives her plenty of family time.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11263
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Elli Reed to the Seattle Reign.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by keeper Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Good for Elli. Speaking of former players. Is Kelsey Davis officially retired? I know she was Asst. Coach at TCU, but was curious if we would potentially see her trying out for a team.

keeper
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:28 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:
UPSoccerFanatic wrote:Nice to see Marian Dalmy on the Thorns free agent list too. She was a very tough opponent at Santa Clara.

I was going to say that, but then I though about her running around at Buck Shaw in 2008 with gold streamers in her hair and doing cartwheels directly in front of Clive when she scored the eighth goal in probably the worst pasting UP ever took, when we had almost all freshmen on the field and they were at their peak.

But maybe it's time to let go....

What year was that Geez? I'm old!
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:25 am

Uhhhmm, the year was 1999, but it wasn't Marian Dalmy, it was Mandy Clemens.

See? the healing has started geek
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:32 am

So, sitting around while downing a few beers with the lads last night when a collective thought arose…..the Thorns will need a team to scrimmage against in the preseason, and will need to introduce themselves to potential fans.

What could be a better venue than Merlo Field to introduce the Thorns to the “locals?”

Sure, I suppose the Thorns could play all four D-1 schools in a spring lead-up to their season, but it would seem Merlo and UP would be the best and most well attended! Should we start the rumor now?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:02 pm

DoubleDipper wrote: Should we start the rumor now?

too late. the rumor has been for a while now. sometime in March.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:57 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote: Should we start the rumor now?

too late. the rumor has been for a while now. sometime in March.

Thorns season ticket holders get in free. They just haven't told us who or where yet.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:02 pm

The rumor I heard was at Merlo, and it will be the game where they charge admission.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:49 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:The rumor I heard was at Merlo, and it will be the game where they charge admission.
Well then, how about starting the rumor Timbers U-23's vs. the men's team at Merlo? Or what about the Timbers "varsity" squad even?

Re: the Pilots vs. Thorns; really, the only suitable site for game introducing the team would be at Merlo. Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:51 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote:The rumor I heard was at Merlo, and it will be the game where they charge admission.
Well then, how about starting the rumor Timbers U-23's vs. the men's team at Merlo? Or what about the Timbers "varsity" squad even?

The Timbers first team has played the Pilots at Merlo before. The U23s would be problematic since those guys will be playing spring soccer at whatever schools they're going to.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:57 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
The Timbers first team has played the Pilots at Merlo before. The U23s would be problematic since those guys will be playing spring soccer at whatever schools they're going to.
Ugh, you're right; first team it is then!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:22 pm

I was out of the country (Myrtle Beach, South Carolina IS definitely out of the country) when Linda (Brock) Phillips played and ran at UP, so I never saw her play, but I wish her all the best and congratulate her for inspiring all the geezers……

From the Oregonian this morning:
Linda Phillips wasn't intimidated by her fellow players during the Portland Thorns' open tryouts, even though most of her competitors were as much as 30 years younger.

The Thorns held tryouts Saturday and Sunday at Jeld-Wen Field, and Phillips (wearing No. 40) decided to join the 85 players who are hoping to become a member of the professional soccer team in its inaugural season. The big difference between Phillips and the others is she is 50 years old.

"It was one of those of things that I never had the opportunity to do before," Phillips said. "I just wanted to try and see where I come up."

Thorns coach Cindy Parlow-Cone was inspired when she heard about Phillips' attempt to earn a spot on the squad.

"I thought, 'Good for her,' "said Cone, who is 34. "I hope when I'm 50 years old I feel comfortable enough to go try out for a professional soccer team. I don't think it will happen, though."

Cone said players from around the country competed in the tryouts. The Thorns are part of the eight-team National Women's Soccer League that is scheduled to begin regular season play in April.

"There were some quality players that I will be looking to ask to join us for the preseason starting on March 11," Cone said. "We're going to let the players know as soon as possible. We don't want this to drag out, we'll tell them as soon as we know for sure."

Cone declined to specifically discuss the performance of individual players, including Phillips. However, Phillips is trying to break through in a major professional sport, an industry dominated by young people as teenagers and in their 20s and 30s, though there are some exceptions.

Phillips, a part-time high school teacher in Molalla, is trying to become one of the oldest players ever to play professional soccer in a league. She said her effort isn't to achieve a moral victory by simply trying out.

"To be really honest, I don't see me making the full travel squad," Phillips said. "I could easily see myself making the practice squad."

Phillips, who played at defender and center midfielder at the tryouts, said she felt encouraged about her performance.

"Just being able to keep up with them and being able to move off the ball and support my teammates. I was able to fit in at that level of play and not be a hindrance to my team," Phillips said. "Not that I was expecting not to do well, but I was more impressed than I thought I would be."

Phillips possesses the pedigree.

She started playing soccer in junior high school and starred at Lake Oswego High School. Phillips (formerly Linda Brock), a forward at the University of Portland, scored 41 goals and was the school's all-time leading goal scorer when she finished her career in 1984. She currently ranks eighth on the Pilots' all-time list for goals scored and she is tied for 10th in points (41 goals, 18 assists).

Phillips also starred in track for the Pilots. Her 400-meter time of 58.7 seconds in the 400 meters ranks seventh on the Pilots' all-time list and an 800-meter time of 2:15.09 ranks ninth. Both times came in 1984.

Professional soccer was not a viable option for Phillips after she graduated from the University of Portland. Women's professional soccer was still in its infancy in the United States -- the women's national team played its first international game in 1985 and won its first World Cup in 1991, but the popularity of women's soccer didn't grow until the national team won the 1999 World Cup in Los Angeles.

"My seventh grade coach had never played soccer. He read a book," Phillips said. "A great guy, but in terms of strategy and basic skills, he was just learning the game."

Phillips had moved on with her life, but she didn't move too far away from the two sports she grew up playing.

Phillips trains with the Clackamas Community College women's track team three times a week. She also plays soccer in a women's league during the week, holding her own against players half her age. If she does make the Thorns team, Phillips said one of her goals is to make sure the current players are aware of who paved the road.

"I'd like to give them some idea of where soccer came from and why they have the opportunities that they have now, because when I was their age, this wasn't around," Phillips said. "They need to be thankful for it and be willing to give back to the sport as they age."

Regardless of whether Phillips makes the team, she will not have any reservations. Trying out for a professional soccer team has provided her with an opportunity that was unavailable nearly 30 years ago. Her body isn't the same as it was in 1984, but the desire is just as strong.

"It's one of those things where you never want to regret not doing something, just because you didn't," Phillips said. "There's a lot of women out there playing soccer who also didn't have the opportunity to try out. I just want to show them that it's never too late to do what you want to do."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:17 pm

There's finally enough players for a team, and now they have games to play:

http://www.nwslsoccer.com/teams/57943897/58150149-57943898/TEAM.html

See you all downtown April 21.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:22 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:See you all downtown April 21.
Or maybe sooner, at Merlo. Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm

The Shawnee Mission North field where the Thorns play their first game is grass and according to my brother (who lives in Shawnee) was remodeled in 2006. He says it is a nice field, but it is a football field.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:02 pm

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2013/02/thorns-fc-announce-inaugural-nwsl-schedule

The Thorns play the Reign four times, which seems a bit odd from the balancing the schedule aspect, but perfect sense from the cost savings aspect. They also play K.C. And Chicago four times. Boston and NJ they play 3 games on an unbalance home-away schedule. Western NY and Washington Spirit are only on the schedule twice.

Here are the games the Thorns will play at home and at Starfire in Seattle

Portland Thorns at Jeld-Wen and at Starfire 

Sunday 21st April 14:00 Portland Thorns FC v Seattle Reign FC JELD-WEN Field

Thursday 16th May 19:30 Portland Thorns FC v Sky Blue FC JELD-WEN Field

Saturday 25th May 19:00 Seattle Reign FC v Portland Thorns FC Starfire Stadium

Saturday 1st June 19:30 Portland Thorns FC v Chicago Red Stars JELD-WEN Field

Thursday 6th June 19:30 Portland Thorns FC v FC Kansas City JELD-WEN Field

Sunday 16th June 14:00 Portland Thorns FC v Seattle Reign FC JELD-WEN Field

Saturday 6th July 19:30 Portland Thorns FC v Boston Breakers JELD-WEN Field

Sunday 14th July 14:00 Portland Thorns FC v Western New York Flash JELD-WEN Field

Sunday 28th July 14:00 Portland Thorns FC v Chicago Red Stars JELD-WEN Field

Wednesday 31st July 19:30 Portland Thorns FC v Sky Blue FC JELD-WEN Field

Sunday 4th August 14:00 Portland Thorns FC v FC Kansas City JELD-WEN Field

Saturday 17th August 20:00 Seattle Reign FC v Portland Thorns FC Starfire Stadium

And from JULY 28 to Aug 10 they play every three days. (5 games in a row, with travel the last two)

BRUTAL!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:23 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:.....And from JULY 28 to Aug 10 they play every three days. (5 games in a row, with travel the last two)

BRUTAL!
Hmm, brutal?

I suggest they find anoter line of work if the PLAYERS think it's brutal!

It's soccer, it's not coal mining all day or staying home with the kids all day, or war fighting 24/7!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Playing every three days for two weeks is brutal . Especially when the "rest" day is travel. Don't kid yourself.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:46 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Playing every three days for two weeks is brutal . Especially when the "rest" day is travel. Don't kid yourself.
We obviously come from different working backgrounds....we'll just have to agree to disagree and move on.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next