Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MLB Draft 2012

4 posters

Go down

MLB Draft 2012 Empty MLB Draft 2012

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Congrats to Kyle Kraus, who was taken in the 7th round and 241st overall by the Red Sawks.

(So now I guess I have to proceed in hating him... )

Oregonian Burb
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

MLB Draft 2012 Empty Re: MLB Draft 2012

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:03 am

Two of our three players from Edmonds, WA have been selected in the draft:

Junior RHP Chris Johnson went to the Giants in the 17th round, and Senior RHP Owen Jones is headed to the Dodgers after being drafted in the 19th round.

Looking forward to two UP guys facing each other on the mound in a Giants vs. Dodgers rivalry game!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11279
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Two of our three players from Edmonds, WA have been selected in the draft:

Junior RHP Chris Johnson went to the Giants in the 17th round, and Senior RHP Owen Jones is headed to the Dodgers after being drafted in the 19th round.

Looking forward to two UP guys facing each other on the mound in a Giants vs. Dodgers rivalry game!
You might be able to see Johnson this summer in Keizer. Guys who just finished college usually go to short season A.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Central Catholic shortstop and University of Portland commitment Lucas Hunter was drafted by the Miami Marlins 947th overall in the 31st round of the Major League Baseball draft today.

Hunter, who was a senior this year at Central Catholic, is 5-foot-11 and 160 pounds and is an infield prospect for the Pilots.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

MLB Draft 2012 Empty Kyle Kraus on KXL

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:08 pm

Kyle Kraus interviewed by Anna Song’s husband on KXL FM101
Kyle Kraus, former University of Portland pitcher joins John Canzano on The Bald Faced Truth to talk about the recent MLB draft. Kraus was drafted in the 7th round of the draft and Canzano starts the interview asking him about how he celebrated being drafted and if he was surprised where he was drafted at.
Kraus talks about how he didn’t expect to be drafted so soon, but as a kid he always knew he wanted to be a professional baseball player. He also talked about how he became a pitcher as a child and is now thankful for that.

Canzano asks him about the University of Portland’s program and why he chose to go there out of high school. Kraus talks about his brother already attending UP and making a change was the most important part of his experience there. They also talk about his philosophy of pitching and size isn’t a factor in his mind because he goes out there and pitches like everyone else. Lastly, they discuss the Cape Cod league and Kraus’ experience there along with the process he went through after being drafted.

http://www.kxl.com/06/06/12/Portland-Pitcher-drafted-to-the-Red-Sox/landing.html?blockID=612786&feedID=10528
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

MLB Draft 2012 Empty Lowell Spinners Begin Season 6/18

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:52 pm

For our Pilots fan(s) in New England, head out to Lowell beginning Monday.

From Boston.com (edited):
The first members of the Red Sox 2012 draft class have started to trickle their way into the pro ranks, as seven players have joined up with the Lowell Spinners who will open their 17th season on Monday.

The players are only weeks removed from their final collegiate games and the thrill of being selected in the draft was still very fresh on their minds during Media Day at LaLacheur Park on Thursday.

“I was ecstatic when they called me [last] Tuesday,” said Kyle Kraus, a right-handed pitcher out of Portland University. “I’ve always wanted to play baseball professionally and to get the opportunity to take that next step and potentially make it to the big leagues is big.”

Kraus, a seventh round selection, went 7-6 with a 2.03 ERA and walked only 11 batters in 111 innings during his senior season. His 27 career wins is a Pilots record.

The Spinners host the Connecticut Tigers for two games on Monday, June 18th and Tuesday the 19th, both games starting at 7:05 p.m.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Chris Johnson's season starts tonight.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:43 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Chris Johnson's season starts tonight.
Is Chris pitching in Keizer tonight? If so, what time?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:57 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Chris Johnson's season starts tonight.
Is Chris pitching in Keizer tonight? If so, what time?

He did not and he didn't go tonight either. I would think he'd be in the rotation somewhere so we'll just have to see how it plays out.

You may remember Gary van Tol was on Sperry's staff for while. He was back in Oregon last night as Boise's bench coach.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

MLB Draft 2012 Empty Owen in Ogden

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:43 am

It's been a memorable couple of weeks for Owen Jones.

On June 6, the Los Angeles Dodgers selected the University of Portland pitcher in the 19th round of the Major League Baseball draft. Four days later, he was signed and on his way to join the Dodgers' Class A minor-league team in Ogden, Utah.

On June 12, Jones celebrated his 23rd birthday. The following day he was named a third-team All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.

Jones took over the closer role at Portland this spring as a senior and set a school record with 16 saves. In 29 innings this year, he posted a 1.24 earned-run average and struck out 31 batters.

MLB Draft 2012 Jones10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Bahahaha and he's already got a major league facial expression with his delivery....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

MLB Draft 2012 Empty Owen in Ogden

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:48 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Bahahaha and he's already got a major league facial expression with his delivery....
Yea, but they're gonna take away that leather thing around his neck if he doesn't tuck it in. Damn rules ....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Hahahahha but what if he has one of those stupid magnet necklace thingies?

http://www.phitenusa.com/
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

MLB Draft 2012 Empty Glum Machine

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:35 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Hahahahha but what if he has one of those stupid magnet necklace thingies?

Why would anyone buy something that would make you so glum!! Did you see the pictures of the athletes in the advertisement? All of them except the wonderfully amazing softball pitcher, Jennie Finch, were about as happy as a clam in boiling water.

MLB Draft 2012 Jennie11

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Chris made his first appearance for Salem-Keizer yesterday night. He went one inning and gave up a run but earned the relief win.

You can keep track of him using the link in my post above. On the MiLB site you can also search for any other Pilots: http://www.milb.com/milb/psearch/bookmarks.jsp?did=milb&t=s_plb

Owen Jones has yet to appear for Ogden. Kyle Kraus is at single-A Lowell and has given up 1 R (unearned), 1 H, 1 BB, and 2 K in 1.0 inning.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:11 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Hahahahha but what if he has one of those stupid magnet necklace thingies?

Can someone explain to me the point of these necklace things?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:13 pm

They go around your neck.
We used to think this look was cool
MLB Draft 2012 A4c0bf4b

That's all I got.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Nevermind. I got it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phiten

The necklace is meant for "soothing one's body." I guess it is supposed to be anti-fatiguing too? Pseudoscience to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:21 am

Yeah... It's pure quackery a la: http://gizmodo.com/5723577/powerbalance-admits-their-wristbands-are-a-scam

Its supposed to aid in circulation to reduce fatigue or something like that. Apparently placebo now comes in necklace form!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:35 am

Well, if it's not the necklace, it must be just pure talent as Owen Jones retired all three batters in the ninth yesterday, stiking out two, as Ogden downed Grand Junction 13-4.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

MLB Draft 2012 Empty Pitcher for $1,000!

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Kyle Kraus, the 241st overall draft pick signs for $1,000; #243 signs for $200,000
By RONALD BLUM; AP Sports Writer

At 5-foot-11, Kyle Kraus didn't expect to be a high pick in the Major League Baseball draft after going 7-6 with a 2.03 ERA as a senior at the University of Portland.

Then about 2 hours before second-day selections started June 7, his telephone rang. On the line with the 22-year-old right-hander was Pat Portugal, a Northwest area scout for the Boston Red Sox.

"They called me that Tuesday morning and said, `Hey, we want a senior in the seventh round or the 10th round that will sign for $1,000. Would you do it?'" Kraus recalled. "I said: Yeah.'"

Signing bonuses have dropped for many top picks in this year's amateur draft, the first under restrictive rules adopted in baseball's new collective bargaining agreement. Teams face penalties if they exceed specified totals for their bonuses.
As a result, some clubs selected players they knew they could sign for close to nothing.

Kraus was taken with the 241st pick overall, assigned a value of $143,000 in baseball's labor contract. If he had not signed, the Red Sox would have seen the cash from his slot deducted from their total.

With the money saved, the Red Sox were able to sign their top pick, Arizona State shortstop Deven Marrero, for $2.05 million - $300,000 over the amount slotted for the 24th selection overall.

"My whole thing was, I'm not 6-5 and I don't throw 95 (mph), and so I'm not going to make a whole lot of money being a senior out of college," said Kraus, who has made two relief appearances for Lowell, Boston's Class-A affiliate in the New York-Penn League. "I figured I can't turn down $1,000 in the seventh round when I don't even know if I'll get picked up later on for the same amount. It's a dream come true. Yeah, I would have liked to have slot money, but for me money is not the reason why I'm playing this game."

Marrero's selection helped push the Red Sox into picking Kraus.

"As the draft is developing and the players end up being there and you know what their signability roughly is going to be, then you need to start making adjustments," said Mike Hazen, a Boston assistant general manager. "We sort of had to adjust in the seventh and 10th round this year, among other rounds, to sort of make the cap work."

Each team has a different threshold, which triggers varying strategies. Two picks after the Red Sox chose Kraus, Arizona used the 243rd selection on Andrew Velazquez, a shortstop from Fordham Prep in the Bronx. He signed for $200,000.
You can read the rest of the article here:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2018600056_apbbodraftdodging.html
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Hmm. Maybe he wasn't a finance major.

Back to top Go down

MLB Draft 2012 Empty $1,000 Pitcher

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:58 pm

up7587 wrote:Hmm. Maybe he wasn't a finance major.
.........and certainly didn't have an agent (or at least a very good one Razz )!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

MLB Draft 2012 Empty Johnson returns home as a Volcanoe

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:17 am

EVERETT — When Chris Johnson was drafted this June by the San Francisco Giants and learned he'd be assigned to Salem-Keizer of the Northwest League, he couldn't help smiling.

He knew he'd be going home.

The Meadowdale High School graduate is back in his old stomping grounds as the Volcanoes visit Everett for their three-game series against the AquaSox.

"It's definitely nice to be playing back here again," said Johnson, a pitcher who graduated from Meadowdale in 2009. "I remember going to a couple AquaSox games when I was a little kid and those were real fun. So, it's kind of weird to be out here playing against them after watching them play for years growing up."
See the rest of the story here: Chris Johnson
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Update on Chris Johnson: As I was getting ready to head down to Keizer for Opening Day at the Volcanoes, I checked the roster and found Chris was back in Salem-Keizer. When I got to game and looked at the program, who should the Opening Day starter be but...Chris Johnson. 

MLB Draft 2012 03110

He did a good job too: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K, got the win. And now a Pilot has delivered the first pitch in Hillsboro Hops history: 

MLB Draft 2012 03210
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down