Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period?

+15
blacksheep
Stonehouse
mattywizz
DaTruRochin
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
shallwemaui10
wccfan
oh brody
DoubleDipper
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
upsailor
DTLegend
wrv
19 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 4 Empty Re: Did someone say today is first day spring signing period?

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 09:19

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:
wrv wrote:Oskars Reinfelds (Canarias Basketball Academy 2012)
Rev has seen him play three times in person!!
I thought wrv's post on Oskars Reinfelds would provoke more discussion/speculation.

How about this? He' a PG (a 1)!

Now I'm listening (er, reading rather). Go on...

Back to top Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 4 Empty Re: Did someone say today is first day spring signing period?

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 02 2012, 11:34

You'll find Oskars listed as a "combo" and "shooting" guard in various reports, but a friend of mine in Poland who closely follows the game, says he usually plays PG for Canarius and his Latvian team.

He (my friend) has heard nothing about the recruitment of Oskars, but says he would be a "perfect fit for UP."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11278
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed May 02 2012, 12:19

Double Dipper--I wonder at the extent of the relationship between Reveno and Rob Orellana at Canarias. Assuming we are likely to receive a commitment from another player from Canarias, is it because Orellana is urging his players to go where they will be well treated, play for his friend Reveno, or are we observing the work of an enthusiactic ace salesperson who stands in line with 30 other D1 coaches approaching players, but nonetheless stands out?

Earlier this year we had a post about Canarias appearing on the East Coast at a tournament with a number of D1 coaches present and interested. If we get another high level recruit from Canarias, one wonders if the connection helps a great deal because these young men, including van der Mars, would seemingly have alternatives, perhaps multiple offers.

Did they know each other before Orellana went to Canarias, for instance.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 4 Empty Tongue in Cheek

Post by upsailor Wed May 02 2012, 13:05

Is Oskar coming to the Portland Pilots, or the Portland Trail Blazers ?

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 02 2012, 15:32

upsailor wrote:Is Oskar coming to the Portland Pilots, or the Portland Trail Blazers ?
Well said, sailor! Time throttle back a little.

It won't be long before we know who Rev received the committment call from; then we can ask questons like, what is extent of the relationship between Reveno and Rob Orellana at Canarias. It could be a one time thing (doubtful), or it could be the opening of a pipeline.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 02 2012, 15:44

Just received an email from my friend in Poland. No update on Oskars, but he tells me Mark Few was in town and Gonzaga landed Polish 7-footer Przemek Karnowski. Great size, great hands, and potential NBA guy down the line, he says.

Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 4 Zag10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed May 02 2012, 16:07

Is it time to dis the Pilot athletic staff, the NCAA or anyone involved in the delay of public acknowledgement of our perspective recruit, the player who called Reveno . . .how long will this go on without confirmation?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed May 02 2012, 16:36

Per NCAA rules, schools cannot mention the name of its recruits until a signed LOI is in place. That includes coaches, staff, boosters, etc.

Generally, news about recruits comes from either the recruits themselves or media outlets/recruiting websites/etc.. If a recruit doesn't talk about which schools are recruiting him and there's no reporter/blogger to ask the questions, well... there's really no way for news to get out.

Patience is always a virtue in cases like this.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 02 2012, 17:05

Stonehouse wrote:Per NCAA rules, schools cannot mention the name of its recruits until a signed LOI is in place. That includes coaches, staff, boosters, etc.

Generally, news about recruits comes from either the recruits themselves or media outlets/recruiting websites/etc.. If a recruit doesn't talk about which schools are recruiting him and there's no reporter/blogger to ask the questions, well... there's really no way for news to get out.

Patience is always a virtue in cases like this.
Well articulated, Stoney. I was just going to say "chill, there are lots of hoops to leap through before announcements are made. The wait is even longer if the recruit is from overseas.”
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 03 2012, 09:51

DoubleDipper wrote:Just received an email from my friend in Poland. No update on Oskars, but he tells me Mark Few was in town and Gonzaga landed Polish 7-footer Przemek Karnowski. Great size, great hands, and potential NBA guy down the line, he says.
Przemek Karnowski, a 7-foot Polish center unknown to all but the most diehard fans, said on Twitter on Wednesday morning that he will attend Gonzaga in the fall.

Karnowski's subdued announcement didn't draw the attention those of Nerlens Noel, Shabazz Muhammad or Tony Parker did last month, but the few who have seen him play insist he'll make a considerable impact as soon as next season at Gonzaga.

Read more:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/gonzaga-lands-poland-przemek-karnowski-7-foot-mcdonald-223142615.html;_ylt=Ahb6kQkFhZn.XuWLxul7iR47Ysp_;_ylu=X3oDMTFja3NwYTFmBG1pdANCbG9ncyBJbmRleARwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXhUZW1w;_ylg=X3oDMTFpMm9iMzh1BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANibG9nBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri May 11 2012, 15:04

Rev via Twitter wrote:

Its official! Welcome G Oskars Reinfelds, Oakley College. Excited to have another player who has benefited from Coach Orellana
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 11 2012, 17:05

blacksheep wrote:
Rev via Twitter wrote:

Its official! Welcome G Oskars Reinfelds, Oakley College. Excited to have another player who has benefited from Coach Orellana
It just took a little time to get the paper work sorted out, but well worth the wait.

I've only heard positive comments. If we had to "trade" Timmy for another, this is a positive step. Good size, good vision, and a hard worker. I think we can expect only good things in the future for UP basketball with Oskars at the 1.

(BTW, good scouting, wrv)
Did someone say today is first day spring signing period? - Page 4 Oskar_10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri May 11 2012, 18:00

Excellent news... welcome aboard, Oskars!

Rumor has it Oskars was starting to pique the interest of some of the BCS schools at CBA, but he stuck with Rev and the program that was with him from the beginning.

Very exciting news!!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri May 11 2012, 18:42

With the impressive reviews from those who have seen this young man play, you would assume he will be playing serious minutes . . .if not starting given our need at the point. We will have to see whether this young man has the athleticism, handle and speed to succeed as a D1 point. I suspect he does.

Go Pilots!

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Fri May 11 2012, 19:26

This is better than when I was six years old and the tooth fairey came to visit.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 11 2012, 22:33

cheers Yahoo! Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat May 12 2012, 07:44

Scroll down to where Oskars is listed among the prospects and click on his dunk video. He is no Kevin Bailey but Oskars can dunk:
http://www.europeanprospects.com/information-database/ncaa-recruiting/ncaa-recruiting-european-players-class-2012/

The guy watching from the stands is too far to make out but his clothes look like those of a bball coach--but nah . . .with respect, too much hair.

Last edited by PilotNut on Sat May 12 2012, 09:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 12 2012, 11:12

wrv wrote:Scroll down to where Oskars is listed among the prospects and click on his dunk video. He is no Kevin Bailey but Oskars can dunk:
http://www.europeanprospects.com/information-database/ncaa-recruiting/ncaa-recruiting-european-players-class-2012/
Well, he's no TJ Campbell, but give him time!

Heard from my buddy in Poland who scouts a number of European players for a living - he said
"On the downside, Oskars has turned the ball over too much to date, but he's very good at controlling the tempo of the game. He has not put up any great shooting numbers, but his overall mechanics look very good and he attacks the basket well with either hand. A plus side is his solid physical strength and size that allows him to finish close to the rim. He's not flashy, doesn't do a lot of creative stuff, but his excellent court vision should make an ideal PG in Rev's system at UP."
He also went on to say that Oskars just turned 18 in March, that he's still just developing, but that UP was fortunate to pick him up now, before he developed more and was snatched up by a "bigger school/program."

He also told me USD picked up a center from the Netherlands that played at Canarias. Good, he and Thomas can trade trash talk in a language understood by very few. Surprised
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Oskars Reinfelds Sat May 12 2012, 15:11

Hey University of Portland This is Oskars Reinfelds , my friend sent me a link to this page , i just wanted to say that im very excited to be a part of the family and see you all soon im planing to be in portland end of june!

twitter - oreinfelds if u want to check what im doin now u can follow me !

much love
Oskars Reinfelds
Oskars Reinfelds
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat May 12 2012, 15:38

WELCOME ABOARD!

GO PILOTS! bounce

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 12 2012, 16:28

Oskars Reinfelds wrote:Hey University of Portland This is Oskars Reinfelds , my friend sent me a link to this page , i just wanted to say that im very excited to be a part of the family and see you all soon im planing to be in portland end of june!
GULP, umm, I guess you'll want your avatar back!

Great to hear you'll be in Portand for summer school and a little street ball with the boys. All of us are instant fans and can't wait for the balling to start in November. Basketball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Oskars Reinfelds Sat May 12 2012, 16:39

no u can keep the avatar bro , but.. can anyone tell me cool stuff about school , basketball irrelated.. Smile i dont really know a lot about us colleges ,since ive spent all my life in europe Very Happy
Oskars Reinfelds
Oskars Reinfelds
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat May 12 2012, 16:50

I too welcome you.

The school is pretty small as colleges go, which in my experience allows you to get to know and make friends, lifelong friends.

I will let others fill you in on the special place U.P. can be.

But good luck and we look forward to watching you play and play soon.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat May 12 2012, 18:40

Another tidbit about UP is they play Futbol here....

Welcome aboard.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11809
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Sun May 13 2012, 21:21

And Geezer forgot to mentionthat our Womens Futbol teams have won twoNational Championships, and wehope to win anothetr.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next