Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Douglas

+14
onetouchfutbol
Woodless!
PurplePrideTrumpet
shallwemaui10
bctigard
RiseUP
NoPoNeighbor
oldtimer
upsailor
piloted
DoubleDipper
ShipstadPilot11
blacksheep
PilotDrummer
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Douglas Empty Douglas

Post by PilotDrummer Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:02 am

From Rev's Twitter page (https://twitter.com/#!/CoachReveno/status/182519598548140032)

"Soph. point Tim Douglas has requested, and been granted his release. Good player, student, and kid. Excellence starts with core value fit."

Bummer.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Douglas Empty Re: Douglas

Post by blacksheep Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:14 am

PilotDrummer wrote:From Rev's Twitter page (https://twitter.com/#!/CoachReveno/status/182519598548140032)

"Soph. point Tim Douglas has requested, and been granted his release. Good player, student, and kid. Excellence starts with core value fit."

Bummer.

Wow. He didn't have a great year, but I was hoping to see a good year from him next year. Hope Rev has a PG recruit lined up.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:24 am

Recruiting class balancing: engage.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:36 am

As I wrote in an earlier thread when discussing 2012-2013:
"Tim is totally focused on his studies and one day wants to be a physician, but he also see's that his playing time is diminishing and would like to be a starter again."
I believe Tim will go somewhere that is strong academically and will GRADUATE, but he’ll probably drop down a division so he can get a scholarship and continue to play.

Best of luck, Tim; you gave us some great moments on the court, but more importantly, you're an all around solid guy who will do well in life!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11311
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:22 pm

What does this mean for our point guard position?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:28 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:What does this mean for our point guard position?
We really need one. Carr and Rodgers aren't going to cut it, I think.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:51 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:What does this mean for our point guard position?
Starting the season we had three point guards, Douglas, Rogers and Waterford. Waterford was a senior and is done. Rodgers will be a senior, and has not yet been able to develop an offensive game. David Carr was recruited as a shooting guard, but by the end of last season was playing the point with Douglas. In the last three games, Carr started, but Douglas had the most minutes coming off the bench. For the season, Douglas played in every game, played the third most minutes on the team, and had 92 assists and 95 turnovers. I assume the A/TO ratio is why his minutes decreased at year end. His departure will leave a big hole in the roster, and teams with an aggressive press like USF and GU will have a bigger advantage against us.

Back to top Go down

Post by piloted Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:37 pm

the only potential recruiting advantage here is when rev looks a PG recruit in the eye and tells him he will get lots of playing time, he wont be lying!!

we need a solid JC PG or new recruit to be able to compete next year. we wont get it done with current options. WCC defense has really improved.

piloted
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:19 pm

I really feel that Tim's season was due to too many new players to whom he was expected to get the ball in their hands. The previous season he had a veteran front line who knew how to get open and benefit from his penatrating and passng. He was trying to adapt but it wasn't easy.
I was \hoping the upcoming summer would have him a djusted to the thefuture season. no such luck

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:45 pm

upsailor wrote:I really feel that Tim's season was due to too many new players to whom he was expected to get the ball in their hands. The previous season he had a veteran front line who knew how to get open and benefit from his penatrating and passng. He was trying to adapt but it wasn't easy.
I was \hoping the upcoming summer would have him a djusted to the thefuture season. no such luck

That first part was all too true it was the latter that defined his season.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:58 pm

" Good player, student, and kid. Excellence starts with core value fit."
Wow. I did not see that coming. Any thoughts on what that last sentence means? Is Reveno implying that Tim didn't fit with the team's core values? Or is he affirming that he DID fit?

I wonder if this means that a scholarship offer to another PG is imminent, and that that prompted Tim to seek his release. If that isn't the case, I don't know what would have prompted him to leave. His role on the team was really in his own hands. If he were to have made some improvements over the summer and to get back on the track he was on as a freshman (WCC player of the week a couple of times, I think), the PG spot would have been his. Starting PG is there for the taking. Strange situation...

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:15 pm

UP isnt the only one. USF just lost SIX players today, most notably Blackwell and Williams. Lets hope the rest of the UP crew stays.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:08 am

oldtimer wrote:UP isnt the only one. USF just lost SIX players today, most notably Blackwell and Williams. Lets hope the rest of the UP crew stays.
I spoke to an acquaintance of mine in the Bay Area today, and he has confirmed that six USF Dons basketball players are transferring: (Jr, Sr, etc. is next year's class)

Avery Johnson 6'3" G Jr. (He was UP's first choice as a recruit two years ago)
Justin Raffingon 6'9" F So.
Khalil Murphy 6'7" F So.
Charles Standifer 6'5" G Jr.

Those four players are ostensibly transferring on their own to get more playing time elsewhere.

Michael Williams 6'0" G Sr. Apparently he's got real issues with academics

Perris Blackwell 6'9" F Sr. Apparently his AAU coach and parents think if he goes someplace more prominent he'll one day be an NBA player.

Graduating seniors are:

Jay Wey
Rashand Green
Angelo Colariaro

I'm sure Rex will find some really good replacements in the midwest and west, but what does it say about the TEAM!?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:11 am

WOW. That's an entire team gone. 9 players leaving in one year.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:13 am

Just found this on the Dons Central board, in reference to the news of Douglas' transfer:
That's not really a surprise. Douglas saw his minutes dwindle and his parents told us after the Portland game at Memorial(and this is almost an exact quote, Cresco can back me up): "you can't do a lot when you don't have anyone to pass to"

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:16 am

I did a double take when I saw this tweet a couple days ago:

Pilot Core Values 1)Appreciation for opportunity 2) Burning desire to be the best you can be. 3) Belief in the power of teamwork.

Specifically the appreciation for opportunity. Might be completely unrelated but it struck me as weird.

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:25 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
" Good player, student, and kid. Excellence starts with core value fit."
Wow. I did not see that coming. Any thoughts on what that last sentence means? Is Reveno implying that Tim didn't fit with the team's core values? Or is he affirming that he DID fit?.
As I'm sure you know, at the end of each basketball season each player sits down with the coaching staff for a very thorough assessment of their strengths, weaknesses, fixes, and OUTLOOK for the future.

None of us were there, but we know that TEAM is stressed, and we know that if a player feels he's not going to get the playing time because the TEAM is better with someone else getting the minutes, then that player has to make a decision for the future (just as they did at USF).

But let's face it; it could be as simple as lack of sunshine, missing home, classes, etc. But as I said earlier regarding Tim, he's a very good student focused on Medical School. I spoke to his parents in Seattle and Las Vegas, both great people, who said that his education was their most important wish for their son. We didn't even talk basketball.

This forum has a thread about recruiting a PG; now’s our chance to Rev it up!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:35 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:WOW. That's an entire team gone. 9 players leaving in one year.
Looking at USF's roster, they are losing their top four players in points per game. They only have 5 returning players, and only 3 that were solid contributors.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:39 am

RiseUP wrote:I did a double take when I saw this tweet a couple days ago:

Pilot Core Values 1)Appreciation for opportunity 2) Burning desire to be the best you can be. 3) Belief in the power of teamwork.

Specifically the appreciation for opportunity. Might be completely unrelated but it struck me as weird.
Latest Rev tweet:
Great skills workout today with the players. New leadership emerging and true commitment to getting better. Extremely energizing.
New leadership? True commitment? Interesting comments.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:19 am

Rev continues to share his thoughts:
Opportunity + Desire = Success. Committed to offer unmatched opportunity. Players bring desire to reach potential.
My view on why great teams aren't "great" for everyone, said much better by Jim Collins. Good stuff here. http://www.jimcollins.com/media_topics/first-who.html
I believe he is referring to these: Are Great Companies ... Great Places To Work? It Depends and The Right People Are Self Motivated

Last edited by up7587 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)

Back to top Go down

Douglas Empty Douglas

Post by bctigard Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:31 am

I loved watching Douglas play last year, and absolutely respect his approach to academics--much more important than basketball imo. This year, though, Tim lacked a competitive spark. When the tweet came across, I wasn't surprised at all: I felt like this is a decision that Douglas made a long time ago.

If Douglas happens to look at the post: Thanks Tim! I loved watching you play, and thanks for your contribution. Good luck!

This is an opportunity!The few times that Waterford played at home, he played with that fire. For all of it's faults, his play was a statement: "we will not give up. You may win, but you will not beat me." He played with pride. Another point guard that I loved watching is that USF point--Cody Doolin?. Remember that turnover late in the game at home? He's the one that pulled the ball out of Douglas' hands. He played with intensity every moment he was on the floor. Would love to get a guy like that. A guy with attitude.

Nicholas, Bailey, Cason & Van Der Mars all play with attitude. Winning is important, but I'd love to see our guys really emphasize that kind of intensity next year, increase it. Even champions lose! But they never give up, never just take it. Look at VCU.

"Never Give an Inch!"

GO PILOTS!!!

bctigard
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:50 am

bctigard wrote:.............Nicholas, Bailey, Cason & Van Der Mars all play with attitude. Winning is important, but I'd love to see our guys really emphasize that kind of intensity next year, increase it. Even champions lose! But they never give up, never just take it. Look at VCU.

"Never Give an Inch!"

GO PILOTS!!!
Great post, bct, well said! Welcome to PilotNation.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shallwemaui10 Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:16 am

I don't blame Tim, I couldn't stand to watch rodgers play ahead of him either.

shallwemaui10
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:05 pm

up7587 wrote:Rev continues to share his thoughts

You guys know he Tweets motivational stuff like that nearly every day, right?

PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:36 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:You guys know he Tweets motivational stuff like that nearly every day, right?
Ha, ha. Yes, I read his stuff and find it's for those who are deeper thinkers then me (most everyone, I suspect). To me it's a combo of Zen and Kum ba yah.....

I prefer this approach to life:

Douglas Marine10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next