Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USC

+14
FANatic
UPPilots
fan from afar
OldePilot
golaso
keeper
UPSoccerFanatic
pdxjoe
Harry Redknapp
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
PurplePrideTrumpet
purple haze
SoreKnees
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

USC - Page 2 Empty Re: USC

Post by Dan No Yell Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Greetings, Dan here, first post, been lurking for a few seasons.

Been going to games since the early '00s I guess and every game for a number of years now. I used to do a lot of yelling, but I try to tone it down and keep it positive so as not to set a bad example for the youngsters. Hard sometimes.

I know nothing about soccer except what I have learned at games and from my friends I sit with who have coached (PYS) and played (rec). Doesn't stop me from having opinions. Lots of them.

Here are a few of my opinions:
The Pilots are my team and I love them win, lose or draw.
Since Kelsey Davis joined the staff DeYoung is greatly improved.

OK, I wrote and erased a bunch more opinions. You will hear them all eventually.

3 questions:
1) Why are there only 21 players (including Johnson) on the Pilots roster and 30 on the Anteaters (UC Irvine) roster?
2) Could the size of the roster be effecting outcomes?
3) Where is the UC Irvine thread?

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:56 pm

Dan No Yell wrote:Greetings, Dan here, first post, been lurking for a few seasons.

Been going to games since the early '00s I guess and every game for a number of years now. I used to do a lot of yelling, but I try to tone it down and keep it positive so as not to set a bad example for the youngsters. Hard sometimes.

I know nothing about soccer except what I have learned at games and from my friends I sit with who have coached (PYS) and played (rec). Doesn't stop me from having opinions. Lots of them.

Here are a few of my opinions:
The Pilots are my team and I love them win, lose or draw.
Since Kelsey Davis joined the staff DeYoung is greatly improved.

OK, I wrote and erased a bunch more opinions. You will hear them all eventually.

3 questions:
1) Why are there only 21 players (including Johnson) on the Pilots roster and 30 on the Anteaters (UC Irvine) roster?
2) Could the size of the roster be effecting outcomes?
3) Where is the UC Irvine thread?

Welcome, Dan. Agreed 100% on the Kelsey effect. And, it may go beyond Hailee.

Regarding players on the roster, going back to the Clive Charles days, the Pilots always have had relatively small rosters. Clive believed in the rules of soccer (except for the NCAA's rules), which only allowed three subs per game. I'm not saying that he never subbed more, but he wanted and expected his players to be able to play an entire game. This doesn't just have to do with wanting players to be well conditioned. It also has to do with knowing that it takes time for players to get into the flow of the game and, in particular, a team flow, and that if you keep substituting you disrupt this. In one of the epic games in Pilots soccer history, Clive played 13 players (partly due to Pilots' injuries) against North Carolina's 20+ into quadruple overtime, losing only to a great shot at about the 129'30" mark. The coaching staff's perspective has been that they're training players to play on the world stage, where this is what is expected of them.

Coupled with this is the intention that the Pilots not carry on their rosters players who never are going to get to play. They are very loyal to all their players and consider them critical to the team, with the idea this is what soccer is all about -- the team and the importance of every player on it.

Regarding this affecting outcomes, it might. It's particularly difficult if there are a significant number of player injuries. On the other hand, this is one of the things I admire about the Pilots and may be a major contributor to the nationally revered love of Pilots fans for their players.

I don't know where the UC Irvine thread is, but I'm guessing there will be people in the chat room watching the UC Irvine livestats and commenting. Someone, can you give directions to Dan about how to get to the chat room? I'm just about to go figure it out myself!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:24 pm

I clicked on chatbox.
It said I was disconnected.
Would not open the log in link.

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Potland lost 3-1. Article of the game on the UC Irvine web site.

On a brighter note, the US vs Canada game was a great game to watch with US comming out on top 3-0. However, with Sinclair not playing puts Canada at a disadvantage.

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

USC - Page 2 Empty UCI game

Post by eProf Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:44 pm

color me purple wrote:Potland lost 3-1. Article of the game on the UC Irvine web site.
The box score lists Cloee starting, but playing only 22 minutes--and Kassi not playing at all. Injuries?
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum