Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BYU in the WCC

+5
DaTruRochin
PilotNut
pilotram
Geezaldinho
Cougarpride
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BYU in the WCC Empty BYU in the WCC

Post by Cougarpride Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:00 pm

To all the great Pilot fans:

As a long time fan and booster of BYU sports, I want to express my excitement about being part of your great conference.

From the time it was first announced that BYU would be joining the WCC in most sports, I was excited. I still hold that same excitement today and hope you do too.

The WCC holds a strong tradition in Olympic sports, academics, and developing outstanding character. BYU mirrors your qualities.

As you know, board chats are full of individuals who express their opinions, opinions of others without researching the facts, opinions to be heard without adding substance, and of course every board has its trolls with the focus of discrediting their rivals.

With the recent uncertainty surrounding conference realignments a lot has been said regarding BYU - some good, some bad again without knowing all the facts (BYU fans and WCC fans alike).

If and that is a big if, if BYU would join the Big-12 it is my hope it will be in football and softball only. I understand, BYU has proposed an option of joining the Big-12 as a football school only. BYU is very sensitive to their commitment to the WCC. I strongly support BYU remaining aligned with the WCC and making it home.

The marriage between BYU and the WCC is a win win situation for all. You have seen how it impacted the recent contract with ESPN in both monetary and exposure increases. BYU's TV network (BYUtv) will provide you additional coverage of your school plus give your school more national and international coverage.

The competition level will be increased for both sides. I do not expect BYU to dominate the WCC as some others have suggested. BYU will contend but to dominate is unlikely as the WCC has great teams.

I hope we can build a strong and lasting friendship and rivalry as we go forward in the WCC.

Best of luck to you

Go Cougars!!!!!!!

Cougarpride
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-09-02

Back to top Go down

BYU in the WCC Empty Re: BYU in the WCC

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:12 pm

I hope we build a lasting relationship too. The missions of the member schools are pretty similar, even if the faiths are different, and that could be as much a tie in the conference as anything.

But who are we kidding? BYU has skirted at least four different conferences in the last year, is now competing in at least three, and there doesn't look to be a resolution for you yet. A&M has announced it is leaving where you want to go even they have no fixed conference to move to. I guess they decided even indy status is better than a Texas dominated Big12. You may consider that...

It is all driven, of course, by potential revenue from BYUTV, your football team, and the best placement you find for basketball. Those two teams will determine where you end up and the other sports will go where it makes that happen most profitably. Right now Basketball is best placed where you just moved it, but if the TV contracts demand a package with Football, I have no doubt you will move them.

I'm not sure BYU will go to the big 12 despite the rumors, and won't be convinced they will until I see what concessions Texas tries to extort from you. You may be better off staying independent.

The one difference between BYU and the other schools in the conference other than size is that the WCC has been the most stable conference in the nation. They have always felt that the way to grow their athletics is through an orderly growth of their product quality together.

BYU? Their recent history shows less commitment to stability and more to growing the BYU product, not necessarily growing with a conference.

Lets see how this year goes.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11809
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:01 pm

I heard Davies is back. Gonna change my prediction and give BYU a winning record in bball this year after all.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:23 pm

Big 12? What Big 12? I think OU is going to bust up the B-12. Look for a Pac-16 soon. And it will not include BYU. Where BYU ends up in football will be interesting, especially if there ends up being 4 super-conferences. Even ND may be forced to join the B-10. Not sure how an independant school would work.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Anyone watching or rooting for BYU vs. Ole Miss in football today?

Out of curiousity, has anyone become more of a BYU football fan this season?

I can say that I will certainly pay more attention to their football program, but not sure if I like them any more or less...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:00 am

Well, our lasting relationship may not last. LINK And despite my earlier comments, it now appears the Big 12 may continue to exist. Apparently because nobody else wants anything to do with the Univ. of Texas in Austin.

If BYU leaves before they actually get here, do you feel used?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:36 am

BYU leaving would be bad for the WCC in terms of the money, but I wouldn't be upset if they left for the Big 12. I liked the 8 team format anyway. Plus, BYU would just look bad for using the WCC as a temporary position for a year or two.

Would the WCC keep the ESPN deal, money, and all that jazz if BYU leaves?

EDIT: Also, the Big 12 commissioner is leaving. So, does that mean that the Big 12 might stay together, and BYU is more likely to move?

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:04 pm

I have to think that there is a buy-out if BYU were to leave, to make up for what would be a re-negotiated ESPN contract (ESPN certainly put a cluase in there that a change in conference membership would trigger a re-negotiation).

A few seasons with BYU would really help the entire conference, but if they left now, we at least have already seen some lift and publicity... oh, and a shiny new conference logo! (must.... resist.... commenting.... on.... it's.... horrid-ness...)

I dont think many of us figured BYU would be here for the long term... but only 1 year would not reflect well on them, but I wouldnt blame them either. If BYU doesn't get on the BCS Automatic Qualifier bandwagon now, who knows when their next chance might be...?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:10 pm

PilotNut wrote:oh, and a shiny new conference logo! (must.... resist.... commenting.... on.... it's.... horrid-ness...)

Agreed. This was a much better logo: BYU in the WCC Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ__pmrVLDXIUwkM5SSgGVUH37ZF_K2GMlxEjNr-3-zrkdQXZqJ_A But, that is all in the past now...

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:05 pm

*If* BYU leaves, can we revert to the old better one?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:13 pm

I prefer the term "vintage" personally...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:37 pm

So... Texan A&M to the SEC: ESPN. So, what does this mean for BYU and the WCC?

BYU has been mentioned as a potential replacement for A&M by many different people. Or, they could go with a more traditional TCU (who joins the Big East next year) or SMU (who could probably use the exposure and rivalry to get its football back on track).

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:04 pm

TCU is probably trying to get right back out of the BEast at this point!
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Another piece by ESPN regarding BYU and the Big 12: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/35805/wcc-keeps-fingers-crossed-with-byu

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:09 pm

pilotram wrote:TCU is probably trying to get right back out of the BEast at this point!
Big East gets an automatic BCS bid. Look at the other football programs TCU will be up against.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:20 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
pilotram wrote:TCU is probably trying to get right back out of the BEast at this point!
Big East gets an automatic BCS bid. Look at the other football programs TCU will be up against.
Correct, but if the Big East continues to get plundered, that autobid could be in jeopardy.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:06 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:Another piece by ESPN regarding BYU and the Big 12: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/35805/wcc-keeps-fingers-crossed-with-byu
From that article:
The conference is pumping up BYU’s admission with higher-profile members Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s and moved its tournament semifinals away from Sunday for the Cougars.
So that means the tournament games are on Wednesday (play-in), Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday?

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:02 pm

up7587 wrote:So that means the tournament games are on Wednesday (play-in), Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday?

Yes. That is a looooong "weekend" in Vegas. I wonder how many people will actually go to the Wednesday night games? 2 games, the #8 vs. #9 seeds for the men & women... hmmm. And talk about a quick turnaround (a.k.a. logistics headache); the 8/9 seeds wont be determined until the previous Saturday night.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:22 pm

Hahhaha, hopefully it is just the So Cal area schools down there so they have a shorter trip to the esteemed Orleans Arena (It's still gonna be there, right?)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:06 pm

The current contract was three years through 2012. I don't recall that there has been any extension past then, though. With BYU in ( IF they are in) it would seem a bigger venue might be in order. It'd be funny if BYU played a tournament at UNLV's house.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11809
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:52 am

More importantly, since there aren't any games on Sunday, are we all piling into the Pilot Nation stretch limo that night to cruise the strip?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:54 am

Better add Air Force into the mixer as well:

The WCC also is trying to be a player here and would listen if the Falcons wanted a home for its other sports after accepting BYU this season.

Scroll to the bottom of the article.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:07 am

Would the other WCC Presidents vote to add a non religious institution? Or is the Air Force a religion? I understand they have an impressive chapel.

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:45 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:Would the other WCC Presidents vote to add a non religious institution? Or is the Air Force a religion? I understand they have an impressive chapel.
They've tried to be, although I don't know if they've kept up in recent years.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue May 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Football is not a WCC sport, but BYU is playing Arkansas State for the D1-A national championship of the rugby version on ESPNU now.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum