Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-WCC Teams Announced

+4
shallwemaui10
navigator
Woodless!
DaTruRochin
8 posters

Go down

All-WCC Teams Announced Empty All-WCC Teams Announced

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:06 pm

2011 ALL-WEST COAST CONFERENCE TEAM
Player School Yr. Pos.
Matthew Dellavedova Saint Mary's So. G
Kevin Foster Santa Clara So. G
Steven Gray Gonzaga Sr. G
Rashad Green San Francisco Jr. G
Rob Jones Saint Mary's Jr. F
Mickey McConnell Saint Mary's Sr. G
Nemanja Mitrovic Portland Jr. G
Robert Sacre Gonzaga Jr. C
Luke Sikma Portland Sr. F
Michael Williams San Francisco So. G

Honorable mention: Perris Blackwell, USF; Elias Harris, GON; Lorne Jackson, PEP; Jared Stohl, POR; Vernon Teel, LMU; Mychel Thompson, PEP; Drew Viney, LMU

2011 ALL-WEST COAST CONFERENCE FRESHMAN TEAM
Player School Pos.
Cody Doolin San Francisco G
Sam Dower Gonzaga C
Stephen Holt Saint Mary's G
Anthony Ireland LMU G
Evan Roquemore Santa Clara G

Player of the Year
Mickey McConnell, Saint Mary's

Defensive Player of the Year
Troy Payne, Santa Clara

Newcomer of the Year
Marquise Carter, Gonzaga

Coach of the Year
Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

All-WCC Teams Announced Empty Re: All-WCC Teams Announced

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:11 pm

From a Pilot perspective it is hard to really argue with the selections, Jared was just a little inconsistent when it came to WCC play to really garner a first team selection.

It would have been nice to see Tim get a all frosh nod, but I think that speaks more to just how good the freshman class of the WCC was this year... And I guess Tim didn't start playing starter minutes until midway through the WCC schedule (and definitely had some up and down "learning" games)

My only big scratch Marquise Carter for newcomer of the year, he had some solid games, but I wouldn't even call him the best newcomer on his own team... But what do I know?

Oh yeah, and while SMC had a nice year, personally I would have gone with Rex Walters for COY, he got the Dons playing beyond all realistic expectations by the time conference play rolled around. But whatever, maybe I'm just prejudiced against angry smurfs.

And poor USD, the only team without ANY representation (Well, unless you count former players Mad) ... Not exactly what you want to see with a coach in his 4th year.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

All-WCC Teams Announced Empty STEVE HOLT! got robbed

Post by Woodless! Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:07 pm

Woodless!
Woodless!
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by navigator Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:56 pm

Congrats to Nem and Sikma!

Stohl may not have gotten first team selection but was certainly deserving of one. Whether he was on his game or not they played him for the threat he is. I would have liked to see what would have transpired if they played him at point.

On to Vegas
navigator
navigator
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by shallwemaui10 Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 pm

cason and bailey better make all frosh next season. otherwise we may have troubles.

shallwemaui10
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:02 pm

I'm okay with Marquise Carter as the Newcomer of the year. He was so clutch for Gonzaga in some games...like the OT win over St. Mary's. He helped to resolve the suspect outside shooting problem that GU had in the beginning of the season...

I'm actually less okay with Jared Stohl not being All WCC. Yes, he was inconsistent, but, an inconsistent year for Jared is an amazing year for anyone else. In addition, he lit up the record book this year. You're not All-WCC, but, for your career you're one of the best we've had in the conference all time. It doesn't make much sense to me...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:14 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:And poor USD, the only team without ANY representation (Well, unless you count former players Mad) ... Not exactly what you want to see with a coach in his 4th year.

Pulling a Chavez ...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:02 pm

Rob's Jacket wrote:
DaTruRochin wrote:And poor USD, the only team without ANY representation (Well, unless you count former players Mad) ... Not exactly what you want to see with a coach in his 4th year.

Pulling a Chavez ...

well you may have the Jacket, but your memory fails you.

Curt Ranta (C) 1994-95 (1st team)
Rick Brainard (F) 1995-96 (HM)
Lemont Daniels (F) 1995-96 (HM)
Dionn Holton (G) 1995-96 (HM), 96-97 (HM), 97-98 (1st)
Kweemada King (G) 1995-96 (HM)
Greg Klosterman (C) 1996-97 (1st team)
Chivo Anderson (G) 1997-98 (HM)
Jimmie Rainwater (F) 1998-99 (HM)
Ryan Jones (G) 1999-00 (HM)
Troy Collins (F) 1999-00 (HM)
Tim Frost (C) 2000-01 (1st team

Also, he went 21-8 one year, something Rev hasn't done yet.

then there was that Dance thing.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Aw crap, I've been Geezed.

To be fair to myself though, I was comparing Chavez to Grier - another coach who took his team to an early dance with someone else's players and saw a fairly dramatic decline afterwards.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Rob's Jacket wrote:Aw crap, I've been Geezed.

To be fair to myself though, I was comparing Chavez to Grier - another coach who took his team to an early dance with someone else's players and saw a fairly dramatic decline afterwards.

Huh? Grier took over a welll recruited team always in the top half of the conference.

Rob took over from Steele who had a .284 winning percantage while at UP and never had a winning team. there wasn't, to my mind, an awful lot of great coaching or recruiting being done before. its not like he took a good program and ran it into the ground.

Until this year, Chavez had the best winning percentage on the bluff since Jack Avina. That was 34 years ago.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Yeah, Steele was much, much worse than Chavez. I really enjoyed our journey to the dance and the rise of Kweemada King. Steele's teams, on the other hand, were miserable...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:43 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:Yeah, Steele was much, much worse than Chavez. I really enjoyed our journey to the dance and the rise of Kweemada King. Steele's teams, on the other hand, were miserable...

The first year I watched UP games was Steele's last year. I watched that team go an entire year without a successful dunk during a home game (they tried, too). The away games weren't on TV, so I can't speak to those.

I remember thinking "Oh, dear"

My college D3 team never dunked either, but they had the excuse that it was illegal in the 60's.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:04 am

Purplegeezer wrote:
Rob's Jacket wrote:Aw crap, I've been Geezed.

Huh? Grier took over a welll recruited team always in the top half of the conference.

Rob took over from Steele who had a .284 winning percantage while at UP and never had a winning team. there wasn't, to my mind, an awful lot of great coaching or recruiting being done before. its not like he took a good program and ran it into the ground.

Until this year, Chavez had the best winning percentage on the bluff since Jack Avina. That was 34 years ago.

No argument here about Steele's coaching abilities (or lack thereof).

But - and this is a genuine question to which I don't know the answer - how many players on Chavez' first two teams were actually recruited by Chavez? It always seemed to me that once the last Steele players were out of the system (post-1998), the team took a nosedive.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by shallwemaui10 Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:26 am

chavez brought in kwee King, dionn holton, the back up point and the starter at forward from a JC, then he actually played ranta, who steele hardly ever used and got canaan into the paint instead of trying to play point forward. the problem was he never got any more quality recruits after michael holton moved on (i think osu first then ucla).

shallwemaui10
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:51 am

shallwemaui10 wrote:chavez brought in kwee King, dionn holton, the back up point and the starter at forward from a JC, then he actually played ranta, who steele hardly ever used and got canaan into the paint instead of trying to play point forward. the problem was he never got any more quality recruits after michael holton moved on (i think osu first then ucla).

Lemony Daniels. Still one of the most fun players to watch since I started watching UP games. He was Rob's first recruit.

I think Rich Brainard was also a player who flourished under Rob but role the pines with Steele.

Rob was a shy guy and probably didn't connect well with recruits, but he could coach. The coach that got fired was the same coach that got a miserable UP program to the top of the conference. His mistake was not getting another good recruiting assistant after Michael. Jim Shaw just wasn't ready.

Some of the players they did get couldn't cut it academically or behavior-wise, and Tim Frost was the only really good Big he got.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by oh brody Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:25 pm

but he could coach
hhmmm... I recall watching many a game in Rob's later tenure where he repeatedly ran "The Flex" offense to no end while the defense simply switched the flex cut screen eliminating the open cutter and forced us to throw up desperation 3 pointers as the shot clock expired. Did he have the right athletes to run his offense the way he wanted it run?...probably not. Was he a good coach or bad coach - I don't know, but I will say for right or wrong, I think a big piece of coaching success at the collegiate level is determined by how well the head coach and his staff can recruit and the the bottom line is Rob was unable to maintain his early level of success. Personally, from what I've seen from Reveno, I feel much more confident in our program's continued success with Rev at the helm.
oh brody
oh brody
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:37 am

DaTruRochin wrote:
2011 ALL-WEST COAST CONFERENCE TEAM
Player School Yr. Pos.
Matthew Dellavedova Saint Mary's So. G
Kevin Foster Santa Clara So. G
Steven Gray Gonzaga Sr. G
Rashad Green San Francisco Jr. G
Rob Jones Saint Mary's Jr. F
Mickey McConnell Saint Mary's Sr. G
Nemanja Mitrovic Portland Jr. G
Robert Sacre Gonzaga Jr. C
Luke Sikma Portland Sr. F
Michael Williams San Francisco So. G

Honorable mention: Perris Blackwell, USF; Elias Harris, GON; Lorne Jackson, PEP; Jared Stohl, POR; Vernon Teel, LMU; Mychel Thompson, PEP; Drew Viney, LMU
The preseason coaches' picks for all conference were:
Keion Bell, G, 6-3, Jr., Pepperdine University
Matthew Dellavedova, G, 6-4, So., Saint Mary's College
Kevin Foster, G, 6-2, So., Santa Clara University
Steven Gray, G, 6-5, Sr., Gonzaga University
Elias Harris, F, 6-7, So., Gonzaga University
Mickey McConnell, G, 6-0, Sr., Saint Mary's College
Jared Stohl, G, 6-2, Sr., University of Portland
Vernon Teel, G, 6-4, Sr., Loyola Marymount University
Marc Trasolini, F, 6-9, Jr., Santa Clara University
Drew Viney, F, 6-8, Jr., Loyola Marymount University

Bell obviously imploded. Trasolini was a disappointment, too. Six players made All-WCC who were not listed by the coaches in preseason: Rashad Green, Rob Jones, Nemanja, Rob Sacre, Luke, and Michael Williams. Two surprising Dons helps explain their unexpected league performance.

Back to top Go down