Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zags at .500 in December?

+10
onetouchfutbol
PurplePrideTrumpet
RiseUP
pilotram
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
Stonehouse
Geezaldinho
MesaPilot1
DaTruRochin
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Zags at .500 in December? Empty Zags at .500 in December?

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:33 pm

My reactions: Suspect Shocked Laughing Zags at .500 in December? 889894

The Zags were pretty much embarrassed by the Cougs tonight (Not a single starter reached double digits, they shot 38%, and pretty much played hot potato with the ball coughing it up 24 times) and sit at 4-4 on the season with a pretty daunting schedule ahead with road games at N. Dame, W. Forest and Baylor on top of some challenging home contests with Ok. State and Xavier, might we see a sub .500 GU squad roll into conference play?? (Worst start for a Few coached team to put it in perspective)

They ARE playing strong opponents, but wow, with Marquette being their only signature win thus far, without winning some of these it almost seems like the Zags will have to either run the table in conference play or win the WCC tourney to make it in the post season. With the shaky OOC play by the conference overall, it's kind of tough to get a grip on how everyone stacks up, with the exception of the Gaels and the sorry Toreros its all looking pretty damn wide open... Should be curious to watch how it all unfolds
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Zags at .500 in December? Empty Re: Zags at .500 in December?

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:07 am

My reaction- Very Happy

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:41 am

Umm.... mine Zags at .500 in December? Rofl1fc
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:16 am

My reaction:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

To all those Final Four predictions their fans were making prior to this season.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:28 am

Purplegeezer wrote:Umm.... mine Zags at .500 in December? Rofl1fc

Quoted for truth.

Zags at .500 in December? Rofl1fc Zags at .500 in December? Rofl1fc Zags at .500 in December? Rofl1fc

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:47 am

Hopefully a win by ND will put them below .500 Very Happy

I assume R54 will give a full scouting report after the ND game.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Schadenfruede running amok here? scratch Don't we want the WCC recognized as a quality league?

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Wet blanket.

But that said, as I mentioned earlier, the entire conference is doing a pretty good job at not distinguishing themselves (UP and SMC are the ONLY teams over .500, yeesh) If things keep going as they are now it could very easily be a one-bid kind of year...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:02 pm

Looking forward to our win in the Kennel.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:18 pm

up7587 wrote:Schadenfruede running amok here? scratch Don't we want the WCC recognized as a quality league?

I absolutely want the WCC recognized as a quality league, and I root for St. Mary's, USF, Santa Clara, LMU, Pepperdine, and San Diego whenever they play a non-conference game. But when Gonzaga beats somebody, it's never seen as a "WCC win." It's seen as a Gonzaga win, and it enhances their reputation without doing anything for the conference as a whole.

I for one am happy to welcome them back to earth.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Well, we are a "crappy conference", so maybe they are just trying to fit in!

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:39 pm

I also like seeing this:

Portland: RPI Rank: 54 SOS Rank: 60

Gonzaga: RPI Rank: 129 SOS Rank: 70

Better record, better RPI, better schedule. Although the upcoming schedules for both teams will surely make the SOS flip flop.

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Rob's Jacket wrote:
up7587 wrote:Schadenfruede running amok here? scratch Don't we want the WCC recognized as a quality league?

I absolutely want the WCC recognized as a quality league, and I root for St. Mary's, USF, Santa Clara, LMU, Pepperdine, and San Diego whenever they play a non-conference game. But when Gonzaga beats somebody, it's never seen as a "WCC win." It's seen as a Gonzaga win, and it enhances their reputation without doing anything for the conference as a whole.

ACEZ

Any Club Except Zags

I like being able to root for Patty Mills since (A) he's a Blazer (B) he's wasn't a Zag and (C) he doesn't own part of the Whitecraps. geek
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:10 pm

RiseUP wrote:I also like seeing this:

Portland: RPI Rank: 54 SOS Rank: 60

Gonzaga: RPI Rank: 129 SOS Rank: 70

Better record, better RPI, better schedule. Although the upcoming schedules for both teams will surely make the SOS flip flop.

Yeah, that is nice. I feel great about our chances to beat them at home; I'm not so sure about the Kennel. Plus guys, it's very early...although Gonzaga seems to be a team that peaks early. Their roster is still pretty impressive.

When we beat them, I'd rather take them down from a higher perch though. I never thought that a win over Gonzaga might actually lower our RPI! Hahahaha... We've got to play them less frequently. lol!
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:27 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
Rob's Jacket wrote:

ACEZ

Any Club Except Zags

I like being able to root for Patty Mills since (A) he's a Blazer (B) he's wasn't a Zag and (C) he doesn't own part of the Whitecraps. geek
silent

Ditto,if we need to rely on the Zs then we deserve to be a one bid conference, obviously UP 7587 you haven't seen Mickey and the boys from Moraga play this year, their the team we need to try to emulate, not a bunch of lazy, lost boys from Spokane...they are gonna be tough but down from average (zaggetes)...will beat um in CHILES CENTER if gray doesn't go get hot, Sacre (keep putin the ball down in the paint for D.Rogers to steal),& Harris stays mentally sqrewed up behind his injury....a for the kernel that's probably awin for them...they usually play way over their heads there.

James brought up a good point about the zaggetes they always peak early...thus embarrassing the Wcc conference getting drilled by someone come march madness...I wish our home and home with them were later...we always get their top, early games before their annual tailspin to THE TWILIGHT ZONE...LOL..

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : POOHS in the league, moronson s out of the league....)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Can we change this to Zags below .500 in December now? ND sure tried to give that game away but managed to hang out with some clutch free throws by Hansbrough

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:47 pm

GU just lost to #22 Notre Dame, and they're now 0-4 against ranked teams I think. Has anyone in the WCC beat a top 20 ranked team this year?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Has anyone in the WCC beat a major conference team this year? Looks like GU over Marquette, SMC over Texas Tech, SCU over Rice, and USF over Colorado are all I could find. Not many bball powers on that list. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:21 pm

up7587 wrote:Has anyone in the WCC beat a major conference team this year? Looks like GU over Marquette, SMC over Texas Tech, SCU over Rice, and USF over Colorado are all I could find. Not many bball powers on that list. Sad

Saint Mary's beat Saint Johns.

Some people call the Big East a major conference in Basketball.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:
up7587 wrote:Has anyone in the WCC beat a major conference team this year? Looks like GU over Marquette, SMC over Texas Tech, SCU over Rice, and USF over Colorado are all I could find. Not many bball powers on that list. Sad

Saint Mary's beat Saint Johns.

Some people call the Big East a major conference in Basketball.

Yes, the Big East is a strong conference, however, St. John's is one of the weaker teams right now. UConn, Syracuse, Georgetown, and Notre Dame are all Top 25 teams with relatively high RPIs. St. Johns...not so much. I don't think that Marquette was ranked when GU beat them...even though the have been a strong team in recent years. While I was watching the ND vs GU game today, they said that GU was 0-4 against ranked teams...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:52 am

up7587 wrote:Has anyone in the WCC beat a team I deem worthy from a major conference team this year? Looks like GU over Marquette, SMC over Texas Tech, SCU over Rice, and USF over Colorado are all I could find. Not many bball powers on that list. Sad

Fixed your question. Smile
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:10 am

This is a terrible non-conference season for the WCC. It hurts us because no matter what happens in WCC play, win or lose, because it makes the quality wins harder to come by and the chances for bad losses increase dramatically. Hopefully the WCC can finish on a strong note these next few weeks

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:12 am

Taking a look at the realtimerpi site, I notice not only that we're the highest ranking WCC team, but we also count as one of Kentucky's three "quality wins." If this is the direction our program is headed in a season after losing four starting seniors, count me a happy fan.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:28 am

Purplegeezer wrote:
up7587 wrote:Has anyone in the WCC beat a team I deem worthy from a major conference team this year? Looks like GU over Marquette, SMC over Texas Tech, SCU over Rice, and USF over Colorado are all I could find. Not many bball powers on that list. Sad

Fixed your question. Smile

Actually, the key words from the orginal posted question were ranked team, and from what I can tell the answer is no. (I guess I should clarify that I mean top 20 ranked team...not top 64.) On the one hand, I like that we're currently the best team in the WCC, but, on the other hand it would be nice if two teams had potential to go to the big dance from the WCC. It's one think to beat a team with a big name like Marquette because of their past success; it's another thing to beat a team that is ranked in the AP top 20 or in the top 20 in RPI that is performing well right now.

It's looking like this is going to be a down year in basketball on the west coast since the Pac-10 is also struggling. If we do well in conference play and continue to improve on the road, that could bode well for us. I'm curious to see if our 2-3 zone could finally cause some problems for Gonzaga; their offense is much worse without Boldin.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:45 am

I personally don't give a damn if more than one team from the WCC gets in or not, as long as we are the team that gets The bid. We just need to concentrate on the Pilots. Thinking that we have to worry about Gonzaga and Saint Mary's is a bit much.

I think it might be close to the point where we need to stop thinking about sneaking into the back door of the dance and start thinking that we have to go out and win the WCC outright and WCC tournament. Then let the other conference teams wring their hands about how they slipped this year.

Then even if we don't win the conference Bid outright, I think it will be pretty hard to keep UP out if we have 22-23 wins.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next