Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graham Hays again..

+10
Stonehouse
PurplePrideTrumpet
GUPhantom
santa pilot
onetouchfutbol
A_Fan
DJ Sherman
Harry Redknapp
fan from afar
Geezaldinho
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Graham Hays again.. Empty Graham Hays again..

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:36 am

He has a piece on his blog making a list of his top 5 Herman candidates for 2010.

A Pilot is on it. before click the link, make your guess, then tell me if you agree.

http://grahamhays.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/starting-the-season-with-a-list-seems-so-passe/
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Graham Hays again.. Empty Re: Graham Hays again..

Post by fan from afar Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:09 am

Missed on my guess. Great choice, though. I started to write who I picked, and why, but that would have ruined Geezer's challenge for everyone else.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:23 am

And hard to argue with Hays' metaphor: aircraft carrier and fighter pilot. Although we have two carriers, IMHO.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:48 am

For those of you who might have guessed incorrectly for the first link, don't feel too bad, he's not done. Another Pilot is on it. Same rules as before.
Good luck!

DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:22 am

I figured it would be either Dani or Sophie, both are deserving. They would both undoubtedly prefer a national championship over any individual award.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Graham Hays again.. Empty Another worthy candidate

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:15 am

And I don't think you should overlook the role that Keelin plays: she is the anchor that allows all the attacking to take place.

She is the Roy Keane or Patrick Vierra who is as vital to the way the team plays as they were to the great Man Utd and Arsenal teams of recent memory.

She might be overlooked by some because she does what she does in an understated way and it's all about closing things down before they become a problem and making it all easy: simple passes; winning every header in the middle of the field and starting the offense; her presence allows Jessica and Elli to get forward because she's always covering.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:05 am

I'm old.

I had to look up Gibbard and Walla.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:53 am

Harry Redknapp wrote:And I don't think you should overlook the role that Keelin plays: she is the anchor that allows all the attacking to take place.

She is the Roy Keane or Patrick Vierra who is as vital to the way the team plays as they were to the great Man Utd and Arsenal teams of recent memory.

She might be overlooked by some because she does what she does in an understated way and it's all about closing things down before they become a problem and making it all easy: simple passes; winning every header in the middle of the field and starting the offense; her presence allows Jessica and Elli to get forward because she's always covering.

Keelin was my guess. I still think she has the best chance to play on the national team of all the current players.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:56 am

Yeah, Sophie has no chance.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Not much chance to play on THE national team, unless she changes citizenship
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:27 pm

fan from afar wrote:Not much chance to play on THE national team, unless she changes citizenship

Maybe not, but she is the only player Hays mentioned who has Already started for her National team in both the World Cup and the Olympics. She will be playing in the Gold Cup in October helping Canada qualify for the next World Cup.

There isn't another player on either of Graham's lists with those Bonafides.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:04 pm

fan from afar wrote:
Harry Redknapp wrote:And I don't think you should overlook the role that Keelin plays: she is the anchor that allows all the attacking to take place.

Keelin was my guess. I still think she has the best chance to play on the national team of all the current players.

I think that Foxhoven and Keelin both have a great shot at the National Team. However, Sophie is as good of a choice as any of our Seniors for the award. I wouldn't be at all surprised to have more than one senior as a finalist for the award. Foxhoven will likely have her turn later...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by santa pilot Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:53 pm

My first guess was Sophie but there are many equally deserving. How can you NOT include Jessica? She controls the right side defensively and is always involved in the attack. Defensive players seldom get the recognition and respect they deserve.
santa pilot
santa pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:26 am

Ahem? I read this a little late...but if my avatar's namesake had to make a guess on which Pilot would be Graham's 1st choice for the Hermann Trophy candidate....of course!!!....the HMCS Sophie Schmidt!!! That was the vessle that first came to my mind!

She's been the tip of our spear since she arrived on campus. She's such a strong, stabilizing, dependable, confident and quiet force on the pitch. She leads by example. She has the best all-around skills on the team, plays hard, plays smart and is unyielding. Aces know....it's Sophie who launches their butts into battle...and supports them when they need to catch a wire, refuel and re-arm for attacks! IMHO...there's no question who this year's team will look's to.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:09 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I'm old.

I had to look up Gibbard and Walla.
Good band, Death Cab. They're a NW group, from Bellingham. You know, the Decemberists are from Portland and they're playing Pioneer Courthouse Square next month...

Oh yes, football. I would have put Sophie on the list as well. She's my favorite among the scorers we have. She's so strong you're not getting the ball away from her once she gets it. Of course these lists always are heavy on goalscorers. One thing I think makes soccer hard for Americans to get into is that there aren't a lot of stats in soccer so you have to watch players to see how skilled they are.

Besides Sophie there are some others that are a joy to watch. I like the way Jessica's balance of shutting down the right side and getting forward to attack. My other favorite is Keelin because I like the high work rate players who set up the playmakers. Harry's right--in Europe a player like her would be getting mountains of praise for the way she makes the game run through her.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:30 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Of course these lists always are heavy on goalscorers. One thing I think makes soccer hard for Americans to get into is that there aren't a lot of stats in soccer so you have to watch players to see how skilled they are.

A quick perusal of FIFA's Player of the Year Awards shows that the obsession with goal scorers in awards like this isn't uniquely American:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Player_of_the_Year

Other than Cannavaro in 2006 (which he won because Italy won the World Cup), there isn't a single non striker or high-scoring midfielder on the list.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:15 pm

the herman an all other awards usually go to offensive players, those who score lots of goals an have a considerable amount of assists. that right there rules out keelin [no matter how deserving she may be] an to some degree sophie because she is so balanced as far as scoring an assisting goes. it has always seemed to me that it's all about how many goals you score!! so, with that being said, i think dani has the best shot at winning the herman.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:23 pm

also, i agree whole heartedly that keelin has a very good chance to make the national team once her career is finished on the bluff as long as pia is the coach. boxx will be nearing the end of her career an i havent seen anyone nearly as good as keelin in any phase of the skills required to play defensive holding mid!!

i also think dani has a very good chance to advancing to the natl team. jess is a long shot i think, mainly because of her height, not because of her skill or talent. as with most world class atheletes, the taller, the better, an i am a huge jess fan an would like nothing better to see her on the natl team for many, many years.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:01 am

fozziewozzie wrote:also, i agree whole heartedly that keelin has a very good chance to make the national team once her career is finished on the bluff as long as pia is the coach. boxx will be nearing the end of her career an i havent seen anyone nearly as good as keelin in any phase of the skills required to play defensive holding mid!!

i also think dani has a very good chance to advancing to the natl team. jess is a long shot i think, mainly because of her height, not because of her skill or talent. as with most world class atheletes, the taller, the better, an i am a huge jess fan an would like nothing better to see her on the natl team for many, many years.

Good thoughts - One thing we tend to not take into account when considering which Pilots might go on to the national team is - who is on the national team now. Keelin, for example, could be coming along at the right time to replace Boxx, as you said. Meghan might be coming along at the right time to replace Lily. Danielle, on the other hand, will have to compete with current young nat. teamers Rodriguez, Cheney, and Kelly O'Hara, not to mention Alex Morgan and La Roux. That may be a tougher road for her.

Jess doesn't seem to get her due, does she - especially away from Portland.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:27 pm

Will Sophie still qualify for the Hermann if misses up to 4 games...when she leaves to play for the Canadian National Team in Oct? scratch

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:36 am

Probably depends on how many games she misses, what her numbers are for the season and how she/we do in the playoffs. If she is the hub of a championship winning team then being gone in October will not be a problem, I'm guessing.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:47 am

Regarding Jess....

I too am confused why she does not get her due outside of Portland. It could be because she doesn't play with a lot of flash....she just plays perfectly.

She makes no mistakes either on defense or when she brings the ball up the field.

She reminds me of how Hank AAron played baseball...... effortlessly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Kid Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:55 am

Purplepet... Jessica is my and my wifes favorite player, just because she plays the way you described it. She has been for the last 2 years. She is rock solid... I don't understand why she does not get more attention outside the area also...
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:06 am

But you know something Penn State/UP fan.... I bet Jess will get a ton of attention when she graduates from UP and applies for medical or grad school.

That kid is as smart as she is good at playing soccer!

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Kid Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:08 pm

Agreed. That is another thing that makes her special. She is very intelligent...
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next