Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting Article on Referee Fitness

2 posters

Go down

Interesting Article on Referee Fitness Empty Interesting Article on Referee Fitness

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:50 am

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/06/04/world.cup.referees.fitness/index.html?hpt=C2

The physical tests referees must pass are pretty impressive:
The first fitness test requires speed. A referee runs 40 meters six times. Each of the six sprints needs to be completed in 6.2 seconds for a male referee. He is allowed 1 minute and 30 seconds between each sprint.

The second test examines the referee's stamina in repeated high-intensity runs. He must run 150 meters in 30 seconds, and then must walk 50 meters in 35 seconds. This is repeated 20 times, which equals 10 laps around a track field. Assistant referees have less strict standards.

12 miles covered PER game? Yeesh, somehow I don't think some of the portly referees I grew up with met that standard...

And a mandatory retirement age of 45?? David Stern... Take note...
Interesting Article on Referee Fitness Dick_Bavetta
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Interesting Article on Referee Fitness Empty Re: Interesting Article on Referee Fitness

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:14 am

And now an interesting article on referees studying cursing... HA!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5270852/ce/us/referees-learning-english-swear-words?cc=5901&ver=us
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Interesting Article on Referee Fitness Empty Re: Interesting Article on Referee Fitness

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:43 am

I wonder if the refs are being coached on the fine points of the American single digit "#1" gesture and the British "victory" salute....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down