Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most Improved Player

5 posters

Go down

Most Improved Player Empty Most Improved Player

Post by GUPhantom Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:53 pm

I've been thinking about 2 players who I think have improved immensely this season! They've kind of been under the radar! But their reliable and consistent contributions have been key to the Pilots successes! EVERY GAME...its the same thing from them....

1) Natalie Budge - Improved Ball Control! Hard working! No Nonsense Attacks! Tenacious defensive skills!

Love her efforts this year!

2) Michelle Scifo - Played some backline! Played some forward! Ultimate ultility player! Versatile! Plug her in anywhere!

Love her efforts this year!

Man...I just realized...this is a Senior Class I'm going miss and hate to see go! They are an awesome bunch, aren't they?

GO PILOTS!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Most Improved Player Empty Re: Most Improved Player

Post by ninjapizza Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:26 pm

So many have stepped up this year, maybe there should just be a "Least Injured" award.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:41 pm

Ain't that the truth!...Its been a game of "Survivor" this season!! In fact the show was just on TV tonight!

Last edited by on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:41 pm

Ninjapizza has a point, though he just made me snort up a swig of beer. Razz

I was thinking along similar lines. and I've been thinking how tentative the two interior defenders were when they were freshmen and where they are now.

I remember Emily's first big game-against Texas up at U-dub. There isn't a nice way to say this--she got beat like a drum. Now she's solid as a rock. She's not the fastest player out there, but no one gets around her.

Same with Kelli--she would overplay players and leave the whole defense exposed when she started playing the position. Now she gets everything she goes after, and has started pushing into the offense and making good passes, too. Against Santa Clara particularly- they were both marking All-Americans, and completely shut them down.

Of course, help from Tsao, Lopez and Winters doesn't hurt...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:45 pm

Phantom,

You missed that Scifo was playing in the middle at the end of the Santa Clara game, too.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:19 pm

Emily's solid. She's been a permanent fixture in the backline since her freshman year, hasn't she? She's one of...if not...the most physical Pilot. She uses her size well and knocks people down! Not as much of that this year (probably because of all the concussions she's had)...but...in 2005 and 2006 she was a bruiser for sure! She's Miss Black and Blue. Did you see the 2006 DVD of Pilot Highlights that the souvenir stand sold last year? Its full of clips of Emily "literally" taking the opposition to the ground....herself included! She doesn't hold back!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:30 am

As a coach in another sport, I don't like these awards that single out players. It's the team that's important. But, if I had to make a selection, I'd select the entire Senior Class. Budge, Scifo, Michaleson, Cronkrite, Woznuk, Lopez -- what a great bunch of players and all improved over last year. Talk about leadership!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:17 pm

AMEN to that Coach! I'm with you...the team is always more important than the individual. I've always preached to my kids that I'd take "regular" (for lack of a better word) players that understand the concept of TEAM......over a bunch of talented All-Stars anyday!!! Ex. The NBA All-Stars versus the top International teams! The NBA player may have their ESPN Highlight moment...but at the end of the day...they can't win games and embarrass themselves! So...how are they attempting to fix this?OMG....focus on Teamwork?!!...Oh Yah...That might work?!? Basketball

But Coach...how should we recognize individuals like Budge, Scifo, Michaleson, Cronkrite? My point in starting this topic was to try acknowledge their contributions publicly! They've worked really hard this season and sometimes...a pat on the back for a job well done isn't enough! We're so lucky to have players NOT wanting or seeking any accolades...but boy are they deserving!!! This class full of "regular" joes....are my heros!

GO PILOTS!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:08 pm

Agreed Phantom. Wozzie and Steph have gotten mountains of respect, and deservedly so. Budge...Scifo...Michaelson...Cronkrite.....HOORAY FOR A SELFLESS JOB REMARKABLY WELL DONE. They have all shown marked improvement over the past year. And they just seem to have that senior swagger: Confidence not built on ego, but built on experience, practice, work ethic, trial and error, and all the other subtle things that add up to make for a really fine player.

I loved this group of seniors coming into this season, and I previously said on this board on more than one occasion that, teamed up with the great potentisl of the freshman group, as well as the other classes on the team, this was definitely a potential championship caliber team if everything fell into place. While no one could have predicted the loss of both Rapinoes, it appears things really are starting to fall into place for this club. Finally.

ON TO PEPPERDINE...DAGGER'S AT THE READY!!!
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:50 pm

Amen!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic