Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USA - Canada hockey (spoiler)

5 posters

Go down

USA - Canada hockey (spoiler) Empty USA - Canada hockey (spoiler)

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:40 am

Just in case you were on Mars or something, The USA, the youngest team in the tournament, beat Canada 5-3 tonight in the sport Canada most cares about in these Olympics. (I'd call it their National Sport, but officially that's LaCrosse)

We have a bye into the quarters and the #1 seed. Canada needs to beat Germany to stay alive.

WoW!. This might be the biggest hockey win since the Miracle on Ice. and it was a great game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/22/sports/olympics/22hockey.html?hp
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

USA - Canada hockey (spoiler) Empty Re: USA - Canada hockey (spoiler)

Post by mattywizz Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 am

I wasn't on Mars, I was watching Curling. Much more exciting, plus their professional league did not take a year off.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:27 am

Purplegeezer wrote:Just in case you were on Mars or something, The USA, the youngest team in the tournament, beat Canada 5-3 tonight in the sport Canada most cares about in these Olympics. (I'd call it their National Sport, but officially that's LaCrosse)

We have a bye into the quarters and the #1 seed. Canada needs to beat Germany to stay alive.

WoW!. This might be the biggest hockey win since the Miracle on Ice. and it was a great game.

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/22/sports/olympics/22hockey.html?hp
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/22/sports/olympics/22hockey.html?hp[/quote[/url]]

Yeah, that was a huge win. We need to win the Gold for it to be mentioned in the same sentence as the miracle on ice though. I wish my Czech brothers had fared a little better against Russia.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:22 pm

Well that was a great example of how exciting hockey is. Really that was probably the most entertaining game I've seen. Tons of offensive, end-to-end attacking, hard (and clean) hitting, and spectacular goaltending. If I was picking the three stars Ryan Miller would easily be my #1. It was like an All-Star Game with defense and checking.

Canada is still a very good team. They really should have an easier time with Germany, who finished 11th out of 12 teams in pool play. The winner gets Russia in the quarterfinals, though.

Lost in yesterday's performance by the US was the phenomenal open ice hit Ovechkin put on Jagr in the early game. The hit was cool enough but it was even cooler coming from the league's leading scorer (you don't usually see "skill" guys leveling people).
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:46 pm

That was definitely some entertaining hockey; a fantastic game all the way around. Ryan Miller was absolutely on fire and made tremendous stops. I am pretty surprised that we beat Canada and pulled the #1 seed (we should probably thank Slovakia for beating Russia).

I'd been hoping that if the USA didn't make the finals that we'd see a Russia - Canada final (aka an Ovechkin - Crosby final) but that game will be a quarterfinal if it happens at all. I guess that just means that the USA has to make the Gold Medal game now.

Ovechkin's hit on Jagr (Jagermeister?? drunken ) was pretty nuts. Check out an animated .gif of the hit.

Last edited by ShipstadPilot11 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clean-up)
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Rematch tomorrow at high noon. Live on TV, too. This is going to be more entertaining than the Super Bowl.

Meanwhile, Slovakia will take on Finland for the bronze tonight. The casual fan may be surprised Slovakia is playing for a medal but I'm not. They have a quality team. Marian and Marcel Hossa and Richard Zednik are all Slovak, and that's just the former Winterhawks.

Add in Canada's Brenden Morrow, who has his name on the Stanley and Memorial Cups, and Switzerland's Luca Sbisa, a promising young D-man for Portland this season and you have five Hawks at this year's Olympics.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:11 pm

[quote="PurplePrideTrumpet"]Rematch tomorrow at high noon. Live on TV, too. [quote]

I didn't think you were getting anything live in the Pacific time zone. Congrats!
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Pulling the goalie never works.

Except when it does. Cool
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down