Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Etzel Named to WCC Hall of Honor

4 posters

Go down

Joe Etzel Named to WCC Hall of Honor Empty Joe Etzel Named to WCC Hall of Honor

Post by Stonehouse Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:01 am

I really love the new tradition the WCC started last year of creating a Hall of Honor and inducting members at a brunch during the WCC tournament. The late, great Clive Charles was UP's nominee last year, and this year it's just as fitting of a tribute: Joe Etzel. No one did more to bring UP sports to where they are today than Joe, from the transition to D1 to joining the WCC and expanding the number of sports offered... Etzel shepherded UP from a tiny NAIA school to a highly successful NCAA Division 1 team with multiple national championships and several ranked teams every year. Kudos to Joe and an honor very well-deserved:

http://wccsports.cstv.com/genrel/021610aaa.html
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Joe Etzel Named to WCC Hall of Honor Empty Re: Joe Etzel Named to WCC Hall of Honor

Post by PilotNut Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:53 am

Agreed on a well-deserved honor, and I like the idea of the breakfast. Did anyone go last year? (I was stuck to a Blackjack table on Saturday morning, I think...)

I believe that when Etzel retired, he was one of, if not the longest-tenured AD's in the country.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Joe Etzel Named to WCC Hall of Honor Empty Re: Joe Etzel Named to WCC Hall of Honor

Post by RiseUP Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:37 am

I recall that Etzel was the longest-tenured AD as well.

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Sorry to correct the above, but Al Negratti was the AD and head basketball coach when the program entered the NCAA in 1958-59. Certainly, Etzel was AD when the Title 9 was put into effect and as a result he later moved womens basketball into the NCAA.

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down