Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UP vs. West Virginia 11/29 7 pm PST ESPN 2

+12
PilotDrummer
PilotNut
IronLions
MesaPilot1
Geezaldinho
Stonehouse
pilotram
mattywizz
DaTruRochin
PurplePrideTrumpet
ShipstadPilot11
onetouchfutbol
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

UP vs. West Virginia 11/29 7 pm PST ESPN 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: UP vs. West Virginia 11/29 7 pm PST ESPN 2

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:27 pm

Two out of three was not a bad weekend. You have to be pretty good to baat the Pilots. Bring on the Vikings.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

UP vs. West Virginia 11/29 7 pm PST ESPN 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: UP vs. West Virginia 11/29 7 pm PST ESPN 2

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:33 pm

TJ made the all tournament team. I though I heard them mention Jared, too.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Blah... would have loved to have kept it closer at the end (I'll admit to getting very fired up when we made our little run and Jared had that open look in the corner that would have cut it to Cool, but tonight was an example of running into a team that is just flat out better. West Virginia really impressed me - great shooting, great rebounding, really tough defense with their tall guards... we just really didn't have an answer. And Butler was awesome... that guy is a pro for sure. I bet WVU stays in the Top 10 for much of the year.

As for the Pilots... love how we showed no quit and kept scratching and clawing to get back in it. No quit in them, which I love. Kramer had a nice game, TJ had to fight really hard for what he got, Nik had some moments... but overall we were just fighting to keep our heads above water. But no shame in that - West Virginia was just too much to handle.

Despite tonight, you can't look at this weekend as anything but a smashing success. We put ourselves on the map and in the national consciousness. People are starting to get to know who the Portland Pilots are... and we put ourselves in a position to, if we take care of business where we need to, be in the bubble conversation. AMAZING.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:46 pm

We were simply not the better team tonight.... lets not let this take away from a great weekend of basketball for the Pilots. WVU was a VERY solid team tonight, and it would have taken a perfect game to beat them, which we were far from having... and our shots were not falling (not to mention getting severely out-rebounded).

I wish we could have kept the final score closer, but.... none the less, I am VERY proud of our Pilots so far this season... Let's take it to PSU on Wednesday.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Let's all be thankful for this weekend , remember those recent 9-22 seasons. MOST IMPORTANLY , LETS REMEMBER WE JUST HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY THE NUMBER 8 TEAM IN THE NATION.

pILOTS ARE GOING PLACES...NCAA'S HERE WE COME, YES

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:07 pm

2nd place in this tourney, with these teams.... nothing to be ashamed of.

I am soooooo impressed with our coaches and team to get us to this point... We have elevated ourselves to be in the national conciousness, and hopefully in "the conversation" come March should we not get the WCC auto-bid.

We have a great season ahead of us, and let us now focus on taking it to PSU on Wednesday!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm with Mesa on this. I just don't see anybody else we play as being as good as WVA. This team can still really shine. and it will get better along the way.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:28 pm

First of all congratulations to the Pilots for a great weekend and the start of what will be a successful season.
What I liked about tonights game despite the score not favoring us at the end was our composure compared to the last two nights. We didint have nearly as many turnovers and looked more composed than at the start of the UCLA and Minnesota game. I also loved our tenacity until the very end, the kids dont have "quit" in their vocabulary.
What was glaringly evident was WVU ability to outrebound us. That was the difference in the game, not our cold shooting but our giving up second and third shots. The good news it is fixable and no doubt will be a point of emphasis in the next practice.
Keep up the great work Pilots we are rooting for you!

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:35 pm

Giving up 2nd and 3rd shots so consistently is a symptom of not only the height differential, and probably more so staying in a zone defense and double teaming in the corners the whole game.

I loved the 40 minute effort of the pilots, but as has been noted, the Mountaineers are just damn good, and that Huggins guy isn't too shabby himself.

Moving forward, best weekend in Pilot basketball I've ever seen, time to take the lessons learned, and take out the Viks and Vandals!!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:10 pm

ESPNs college basketball section headline:

The Pilots finally landed. West Virginia led nearly the entire game
en route to a 76 Classic title, easily beating Portland 84-66

Wow, we must have been doing something really wrong if we had a boat out of the water.... Haha maybe we should have stuck with the good ol wheel on the logo...

Last edited by DaTruRochin on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:47 pm

Oh man... even the Oregonian's stringer from LA made the same mistake:

"Pilots fall from sky, can't keep up in final"

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2009/11/no_8_west_virginia_84_portland.html

I realize when you hear the word "Pilot" you don't automatically think riverboats, but really... shouldn't someone at the O know that we aren't fighter pilots? Hrumph. If that shows up in the print edition I will be very annoyed.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:53 pm

i might have to create a log-in name just to leave a snide comment about seeing a riverboat fall from the sky.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:32 am

I am a little disappointed we lost last night...but seriously, we are not on the level of WVU. They are legit, would not be surprised if by the end of the season they are in the number one seed argument.

Our three point shooting was down, a big reason was that we didn't get the open looks we normally do. They had very good pressure defense.

Rebounding was a little bit of an issue. They outrebounded us by 12. But if I remember correctly they were up bu about 10 boards in the first 6 minutes. Also, they had at least 6 "long" offensive rebounds that bounced before being corraled. Those are somewhat hard-luck rebounds. Although, they were also bigger and more athletic than us.

Turnovers were much better last night. Only 13, but there were a few bad ones. I really like Luke Sikma, but man, sometimes he turns the ball over making really bad decisions.

Who was that guy in the grey sweatpants behind the Pilot bench? Why do I have the feeling he is related to MESAPILOT?

Overall though, I am pleased with the performance. I think the score was somewhat indicative of the game. I love that we made a run to cut the lead to exactly 10 with a few minutes left. Then we started fouling...they made FT and we missed FG. I think if we had not resorted to that tactic, we could have finished in the 8-14 point defecit range (not that that matters all that much). Definitely love the fight that the guys put up. Realistically, that would have been a HUGE upset last night.

It's nice that we are losing to a top 10 team and accepting it because they are a better team than doing so against a lower division team. Thanks coach Rev and the guys for giving us such an entertaining 3 game tourney to watch!!
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:26 am

I can't help but think that that types of guys Rev has signed for next year could help us in a game like that, which is a good sign for the program.

NO shame in losing to WVU.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

UP vs. West Virginia 11/29 7 pm PST ESPN 2 - Page 2 Empty Huggins

Post by MJGoGaels Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:54 am

Bob Huggins, did watch and listen to him. You would have thought the Mountaineers were down by 10-20. He demands every play, minute and effort 100%.

Very few wide open 3's to launch. Like SMC historically, live and die by the 3 ball. When the 3 ball is going in the round thing, UP capable of at-large consideration. Just waiting on the Polls to see the Press and Coaches validation of UP and GU after a fantastic week.
MJGoGaels
MJGoGaels
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:43 pm

Tho we lost to WVU I was really happy to see the grit and determination our guys were showing. Especially, I might add, Kramer's showing in the paint. He finishe very well. He is giving a very good prescence in the middle and improving game to game. I'm old!

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:37 pm

oops

Last edited by up7587 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : deleted duplicated post)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:TJ made the all tournament team. I though I heard them mention Jared, too.

I missed it when they briefly talked about it, and I don't see anything on the tournament web site.

Back to top Go down

Post by IronLions Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:00 pm

WVU would challenge any top 10 team in the nation. Despite the loss, the Pilots are on the national scene now and ranked. You guys should be might proud.
IronLions
IronLions
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:13 pm

mattywizz wrote: Who was that guy in the grey sweatpants behind the Pilot bench? Why do I have the feeling he is related to MESAPILOT?
Mesa said a bunch of Kramer's people were there and Kramer's brother will be coming to Chiles for the LMU/Pepperdine weekend.

Knutson family gatherings must be really...interesting.... Laughing
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:24 pm

You referring to the guy with the basketball on his head? lol!

I recall seeing him with the Knutson gang in Vegas last year...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:54 pm

So 2 teams from the field of the 76 Classic are in the Final Four...

I'd say that makes it a pretty decent tournament. Who was the second-place team?!?!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2