Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tournament Results By Conference

+8
slick
DaTruRochin
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
'78 Alum
onetouchfutbol
Stonehouse
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tournament Results By Conference Empty Tournament Results By Conference

Post by Stonehouse Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:58 pm

With the talk earlier about which conference was better - Pac-10 or ACC - I thought it might be interesting to do a little run-down by conference. This is all just compiled by me, so it's very possible I made a mistake somewhere. But hey, it's a free forum... you get what you get! Smile Interestingly, the ACC and Pac-10 were the only conferences to get at least two teams in as of 3:00 today... either the WCC or Big-12 will have two as well depending on what happens with Santa Clara/Oklahoma State. The ACC so far has proven dominant, however... 7 teams in the Sweet 16. Very impressive. Also, no conference outside the WCC and the BCS conferences got at team in the Sweet 16. Interesting.

In decending order from number of teams in the tournament...

ACC
First Round: 7-1
Second Round: 7-0
Total: 14-1

Pac-10
First Round: 6-2
Second Round: 3-3
Total: 9-5

SEC
First Round: 4-2
Second Round: 1-3
Total: 5-5

Big East
First Round: 3-3
Second Round: 1-2
Total: 4-5

Big 10
First Round: 2-3
Second Round: 1-1
Total: 3-4

WCC
First Round: 2-1
Second Round: 1-0 (SCU hosts Ok. State tonight)
Total: 3-1

Big-12
First Round: 2-0
Second Round: 1-0 (Ok. State plays @ SCU tonight)
Total: 3-0
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Tournament Results By Conference Empty Re: Tournament Results By Conference

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:10 pm

A link to the bracket to make this easier to track in a user friendly way:

http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2009/ncaa_bracket_DI_soccer_women.html
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by '78 Alum Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:44 pm

I agree the ACC is looking strong - although I also think that Boston College, Virginia Tech, North Carolina & Wake Forest had very easy opponents for the first two rounds.

What I find more interesting is that several BCS conferences appear very weak:

Big East started with 6, only 1 remains.

SEC started with 6, only 1 remains.

Big 10 started with 5, only 1 remains.

I'm also very excited to see how OSU does against Notre Dame - GO BEAVS!!

'78 Alum
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:04 pm

BCS? There is no Bowl Championship Series for women's soccer.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:16 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:BCS? There is no Bowl Championship Series for women's soccer.

Well, I think we all know that... it's just an easy term to use to define the six major conferences. It's used very often in college basketball too.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:17 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:BCS? There is no Bowl Championship Series for women's soccer.

Geez, do you want to hit one out of the park by explaining what the BCS has to do with Division I Women's Soccer?
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:18 pm

When you look at the success of the WCC though in terms of national championships, we are a major conference in women's soccer. The size of the schools in the conference doesn't mean as much IMHO.

By the way SCU vs. Oklahoma State--Tied 1-1 in double OT.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:36 pm

Santa Clara 6-5 in a shootout

Henniger save on the last shot

SCU advances
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:37 pm

Santa Clara wins on PKs, 6-5!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:38 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:

Geez, do you want to hit one out of the park by explaining what the BCS has to do with Division I Women's Soccer?
There is a quota of Soccer Committee members that must come from BCS schools/conferences.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:59 pm

BCS schools by rule have a 60% majority in the selection and seeding committee.

It doesn't make any sense to me either.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:03 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:It doesn't make any sense to me either.

Well, it does make some cents... And a bunch of dollars too...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by slick Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:35 pm

what does "BCS" mean to me . . . average Fleet sailor . . .

slick
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:01 pm

slick wrote:what does "BCS" mean to me . . . average Fleet sailor . . .

Actually there is no BCS anymore. It used to be called the Bowl Championship Series for 1-A football and determined who would go to the four major bowls from the 6 major conferences.

1-AA played in the Division I-AA Football Championship

There was a big call for reform of what seems to some to be a questionable way to determine the National Championships.

In typical fashion, the NCAA's response to the clamor was....... to rename the BCS the Football Bowl subdivision (FBS). Technically, there is no 1-A anymore .

There is no 1-AA either. It's now the Football Championship Subdivision.

and you see why I'm at a loss to explain why they have 60% of the vote on the Women's Soccer Selection Committee?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Telionis Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:38 pm

Hey guys. I came here looking to learn about Portland soccer, didn't think I could actually contribute something, but then someone brought up football. Smile

Geezaldinho wrote:Actually there is no BCS anymore. It used to be called the Bowl Championship Series for 1-A football and determined who would go to the four major bowls from the 6 major conferences.

Geezaldinho, you are mistaking the BCS with the "IA/IAA to FBS/FCS" name change.

We all know that all NCAA sports are subdivided into three divisions. Football is further subdivided into IA and IAA divisions due to the disparity of program budgets. The post-season of division IA is a set of bowls determined by rank and conference. Conversely, division IAA has the same post season tournament system that every other sport uses. (The fact that IA doesn't have a tournament is an extremely sore point with most fans, but the bowl system brings in too much money to change). Recently the NCAA decided to change the name to FBS and FCS so as not to imply IAA was second class (odd considering they don't mind using division II and division III). There was no change other than the name.

The BCS system on the other hand, is the actual ranking method used to rank teams in Division IA (now called FBS). It is a combination of computer calculated rankings and polls. It alone decides who plays for the national title. Aside from the national championship, there are four "BCS" bowls (Fiesta, Orange, Rose, & Sugar), each worth the same $17.5 million as the national title. All of the other bowls are much smaller (from $500k to 3.5 million in purse), and all of them are much less prestigious.

When people refer to a "BCS conference", they mean one of the six conferences that has a guaranteed BCS bowl berth (the ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, PAC10 and SEC). The winners of these conferences are guaranteed a place in one of the major bowls even if they had a terrible record. Teams in the remaining six conferences and the independents all have to fight tooth and nail to get a BCS bowl. Many non-BCS teams go undefeated and still get kept out of the big games as Boise State did last year. In fact, the runner up of a BCS conference will usually get a major bowl over the undefeated champion of a non-BCS conference. (It's not really fair, but usually it is accurate).

Though the BCS has nothing to do with soccer, it does have a significant impact on the athletic programs of such universities. Most conferences divide the profits of their post seasons equally; last year each of the twelve ACC institutions got almost $3m to dump directly into their athletic programs, while most of the non-BCS schools got a tenth that much (SEC and Big 12 schools got almost $5m). In addition, the BCS schools are usually the best at football and as such get major TV contracts, which most of the non-BCS schools cannot hope to attract. Their stadiums are two to three times as large and their tickets go for three times as much. The schools also tend to be much larger, and the football programs bring in a lot of alumni donations. The result of all this is that the athletic programs of BCS schools are immensely wealthier than that of non-BCS schools.

Money certainly won't make up for good coaching or talent, but it certainly helps in recruiting talent and hiring good coaching. As such, the BCS schools usually have a large advantage in other sports also. Though obviously its no comparison to tradition as Portland has proved.
Telionis
Telionis
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Plus, the money in those BCS schools has a very slow trickle down to women's soccer, and at UP women's soccer makes a little bit more $ than it does elsewhere.

Getting back to Geez's point about the 60% influence on the selection committee of schools from the bigger conferences... How many WCC representatives do we actually have on the women's soccer bracket selection committee Tournament Results By Conference Icon_question
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:55 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:Getting back to Geez's point about the 60% influence on the selection committee of schools from the bigger conferences... How many WCC representatives do we actually have on the women's soccer bracket selection committee Tournament Results By Conference Icon_question

One: Ada Greenwood, USD.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Telionis Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:56 pm

Stonehouse wrote:
ACC
First Round: 7-1
Second Round: 7-0
Total: 14-1

Good to see the ACC actually doing well at something this year!!! After the worst opening week in football ever (two losses to IAA teams, and two more near losses) and now two years of only UNC getting past the sweet 16 in basketball (only Maryland on the women's side), things were looking down.
Telionis
Telionis
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:10 pm

welcome to the forum.

Here's an OfficialNCAA disclaimer on the BCS

FOR THE RECORD: NCAA Corrects Inaccurate Coverage On The Relationship Between The NCAA And The BCS

For Immediate Release

January 13, 2009
Contact(s)
Bob Williams
Managing Director of Public and Media Relations
317/917-6117

ยป Behind the Blue Disk: Bowl Championship Series
Recent inaccurate media coverage may have increased public confusion on the NCAA’s role in deciding the national champion in the Football Bowl Subdivision’s Bowl Championship Series (BCS).

CNN.com’s William Amsby and Sasha Johnson in their January 9 story ‘Obama raps Bowl Championship Series: 'We need a playoff' incorrectly refer to the “NCAA’s Bowl Championship Series”. In fact, the NCAA has no role in determining the contenders in the FBS national championship game. That responsibility rests with the Presidents and Commissioners of the 11 FBS conferences and the University of Notre Dame who created and manage the BCS independently of the NCAA. A multi-poll formula developed and overseen by the BCS solely determines which teams play in the BCS games. ESPN the Magazine’s Rick Reilly was equally off the mark in his January 12 article “Oklahoma and Florida can battle for the BCS. But we've already crowned the true national champ” when he questioned whether NCAA President Myles Brand and university presidents would stand in defiance of President-Elect Obama’s desire to see a playoff. Again, the NCAA has no role in determining rankings or who plays in the BCS bowls. Additionally, the NCAA membership has not advanced legislation to create a FBS playoff system.

The NCAA does proudly administer the playoff championship games for Division I’s Football Championship Subdivision as well as football championships in Division II and III among its 88 championships.

to hear the NCAA tell it, the BCS isn't part of the NCAA at all, and they don't even knw why they are there. if they have no role in determining the Borl Championship series, what is the purpose of the NCAA?

The whole thing is a smoke screen to fend off antitrust charges, Ask Oren Hatch.

AS to the BCS conferences having no role in Women's soccer, that's to put it succinctly, a crock. NCAA legislations has decreed that 60% of the selection committee must come from those same conferences. and if you look at the current roster of 10, that's exactly the ratio on the committee.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:40 pm

Does anyone think that SCU has a chance to upset Stanford?

I think they can, but, only if it comes down to PKs. I think if you have 5-6 players who can convert 80-90% of PKs, you can go pretty far in a tourney because you can play a somewhat conservative, defensive game if the opponent is better than you are on paper.

I remember how Clive had slightly more conservative game plans in the beginning before we had the talent to compete with UNC and the best teams...before the first national championship and our recruiting improved. I think SCU is rebuilding and in a similar boat.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 pm

Speaking of Stanford: Does anyone know how former Tualatin H.S. star, Courtney Verloo, is doing? Has she played a part in the Cardinal's success this season? Just curious...
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:24 pm

Well, looking at their site she has appeared in all 22 matches (starting 7) and has 4 goals, 6 assists thus far...

For a freshman on an already VERY good team?? I'd say she's doing pretty darn well...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:57 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:Does anyone think that SCU has a chance to upset Stanford?
I think Santa Clara has a chance to upset anybody they play. They're a solid team. I don't think they'll allow more than a couple of goals. (Jerry will make some changes so that they don't allow six against Stanford again.) They'll have several scoring chances, especially having Bosio and her flip-throws.

I also remember one year (1994, maybe?) when they were unseeded (or low-seeded, anyway), and beat UNC in Chapel Hill on OT in the round of 16.

As the topic-title of a couple weeks ago stated, Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:00 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Well, looking at their site she has appeared in all 22 matches (starting 7) and has 4 goals, 6 assists thus far...

For a freshman on an already VERY good team?? I'd say she's doing pretty darn well...

She also made the Pac-10 all-freshman team: http://www.pac-10.org/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/111109aao.html.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by slick Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Lady Broncos 3, Stanford 1 . . . . . . . . take it to the bank...

slick
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next