Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enyeart WCC Player of the Year; Smith Coach of the Year!

+17
runner girl
fozziewozzie
pms275
bluffer
harryb
FANatic
the20pointmay
A_Fan
PurplePrideTrumpet
UPSoccerFanatic
Stonehouse
ShipstadPilot11
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
Poopdeck Pappy
SoreKnees
PilotNut
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Enyeart WCC Player of the Year; Smith Coach of the Year! Empty Enyeart WCC Player of the Year; Smith Coach of the Year!

Post by PilotNut Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:53 am

Hot off the press from the Athletic Department:

Enyeart Highlights 11 Pilots earning All-WCC Honors

SAN BRUNO, Calif. --- For the third straight season the University of Portland posted an undefeated West Coast Conference record and for the third straight season the Pilots were rewarded with the WCC Player of the Year and Coach of the Year honors. Portland senior Michelle Enyeart took home the conference’s top honor, while Pilots’ Head Coach Garrett Smith earned the league’s top coaching accolade. Santa Clara senior Jordan Angeli was named the WCC Defensive Player of the Year, while Portland’s Kendall Johnson and Santa Clara’s Allie Vernon shared the league’s Freshman of the Year award.

A total of 11 Pilots were honored, including a league-high four first team honorees. Joining Enyeart on the first team was senior goalkeeper Kelsey Davis, junior midfielder Sophie Schmidt and sophomore striker Danielle Foxhoven. Portland also had five second team honorees – Johnson, Kendra Chandhoke, Megan Sweeney, Jessica Tsao and Keelin Winters – while Johnson also was a member of the All-Freshman Team.

Enyeart enjoyed a standout senior season with six goals and six assists during conference play, but her college career was abruptly ended with a knee injury five seconds before halftime in the regular season finale versus San Diego.

A native of Hemet, Calif., Enyeart concludes her UP career ranked fourth on the school’s all-time points list with 136 (48g, 40a). Her 48 goals and 40 assists are both fourth on the Pilots’ career charts. Enyeart scored her 100th career point in the 2009 season opener and then joined the 30-goal, 30-assist club one game later. She is one of only six Pilots to have accomplished the feat and one of only three with 40-plus in each category. Enyeart is the eighth Pilot in WCC history to garner the league’s Player of the Year award, and the third straight, following former UP standouts Megan Rapinoe (2008), Angie Woznuk (2007), Christine Sinclair (2005, 04, 02), Erin Misaki (2000), Justi Baumgardt (1996), Shannon MacMillan (1995, 93), and Tiffeny Milbrett (1994, 92).

Angeli is the seventh Santa Clara player to win the conference’s top defensive honor, and the first since former Bronco Leslie Osborne took home the award in 2004. Angeli helped anchor a Bronco defense that allowed just four goals in conference play and posted three shutouts.

Johnson is the 11th Pilot to be named the WCC’s Freshman of the Year and the fifth consecutive, while Vernon is the seventh Santa Clara player to be named Freshman of the Year, and the first since Lauren Zealear earned the award in 2003. Johnson follows teammates Foxhoven (2008), Winters (2007), Enyeart (2006) and Megan Rapinoe (2005), as well as former UP standouts Lindsey Huie (2002), Christine Sinclair (2001), Michelle French (1995), Holly Pierce (1994), Justi Baumgardt (1993), and Shannon MacMillan (1992).

For leading the Pilots to their record 11th league crown, Smith was awarded his fourth WCC Coach of the Year honor and his third in a row. Smith has led the Pilots to 21-straight conference wins, marking the longest winning streak in WCC play in league history.

For leading the Pilots to their record 11th league crown, Smith was awarded his fourth WCC Coach of the Year honor and his third in a row. Smith has led the Pilots to 21-straight conference wins, marking the longest winning streak in WCC play in league history.

2009 WCC Awards
Player of the Year: Michelle Enyeart, Portland
Defensive Player of the Year: Jordan Angeli, Santa Clara
Co-Freshman of the Year: Kendall Johnson, Portland & Allie Vernon, Santa Clara
Coach of the Year: Garrett Smith, Portland

2009 All-WCC First Team
Jordan Angeli, Santa Clara
Kiki Bosio, Santa Clara
Kelsey Davis, Portland
Michelle Enyeart, Portland
Danielle Foxhoven, Portland
Julie Gallaudet, Loyola Marymount
Sophia Medina, Pepperdine
Jessica Menzhuber, Saint Mary’s
Stephanie Ochs, San Diego
Sophie Schmidt, Portland
Natalie Vinti, San Diego

2009 All-WCC Second Team
Roxanne Barker, Pepperdine
Kendra Chandhoke, Portland
Kendall Johnson, Portland
Sheridan Jones, Gonzaga
Kelly Reilly, Pepperdine
Katherine Reynolds, Santa Clara
Michelle Spacciapolli, Pepperdine
Megan Sweeney, Portland
Jessica Tsao, Portland
Allie Vernon, Santa Clara
Keelin Winters, Portland
Jackie Zinke, San Diego

2009 All-WCC Honorable Mention
Lacey Bartels, LMU; Cammie Burke, PEP; Allyssa Clark, LMU; Kim Feeney, LMU; Maxine Goynes, SCU; Kristina Hall, USF; Tiffany Harrison, LMU; Hallie Huston, USD; Halley Kreminski, POR; Jenny La Ponte, SCU; Elissa Magracia, USD; Christine Mock, USD; Ashley O’Brien, USF; Anessa Patton, SCU; Daelyn Paul, SMC; Amanda Poach, SCU; Eli Reed, POR; Kelsea Smith, PEP; Elle Sweeney, GON

2009 All-WCC Freshman Team
Roxanne Barker, Pepperdine
Mariah Hobbs, San Diego
Emily Hutchins, Gonzaga
Kendall Johnson, Portland
Lauren Matheson, Santa Clara
Cori McGovern, Loyola Marymount
Daelyn Paul, Saint Mary’s
Kelsea Smith, Pepperdine
Christina Tognetti, Saint Mary’s
Allie Vernon, Santa Clara
Kelsey Wilson, Loyola Marymount

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Enyeart WCC Player of the Year; Smith Coach of the Year! Empty Re: Enyeart WCC Player of the Year; Smith Coach of the Year!

Post by SoreKnees Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:09 pm

A wonderful consolation prize, at least, for Michelle! Well deserved on all counts.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Enyeart WCC Player of the Year; Smith Coach of the Year! Empty Re: Enyeart WCC Player of the Year; Smith Coach of the Year!

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm surprised that Tiffany Milbrett wasn't selected as WCC Freshman of the Year in her first year on the bluff. Was that 1990? Maybe they didn't offer that honor back then.
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:11 pm

Poopdeck Pappy wrote:I'm surprised that Tiffany Milbrett wasn't selected as WCC Freshman of the Year in her first year on the bluff. Was that 1990? Maybe they didn't offer that honor back then.

Tiffeny didn't play in the WCC her first two years.

Portland belonged to NorthWest Athletic Conference, and Tiff was named Conference Player of the Year in 1990 and 1991.

In 1992, UP joined the WCC for women's soccer, and she was named WCC POY in 1992 and 1994.

Damn. that was going to be a preseason quiz question next year.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:13 pm

Was that not the same NWAC that they used for baseball too for a bunch of years? I remember UW being in the same conference for a long time... Or I took too many knocks to the head in HS
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:17 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Was that not the same NWAC that they used for baseball too for a bunch of years? I remember UW being in the same conference for a long time... Or I took too many knocks to the head in HS

UP Baseball was a member of the "Pac-10 North"... along with PSU, UW, WSU, OSU and I think GU (and maybe some others...)

Last edited by PilotNut on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:30 pm

I wasn't in the NorthWest back in the day, and I keep running across all kinds of conferences with the same name and the same conference with at least two different names switched back and forth. It's hard to sort out. For instance, there was a NWAC (Northwest Athletic Conference) sometimes known as the NWIC (Northwest Conference of Independent Colleges), and now the NWAC again (now D2, I think). There was a completely different NAIA conference with the NWAC moniker and a completely different set of schools, there was an NAC (guess what - NorthWest Athletic Conference). and probably a bunch more. I have no way of sorting them out.

We should go back to calling ourselves Columbia.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:40 pm

I think Jess should have been first team. What better defender is there?
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Well I see that as a saturation issue. They are supposed to promote the conference. They can't just post the UP roster.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:We should go back to calling ourselves Columbia.

ONLY if we get to go back to being called the "Cliffdwellers" That has to be one of my favorite nicknames (Even though it isn't anymore...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:54 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:

ONLY if we get to go back to being called the "Cliffdwellers" That has to be one of my favorite nicknames (Even though it isn't anymore...)

If that happens, I hope I'm on the side of the stadium that shouts "GO!" Very Happy
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:57 pm

That is true. Even though, in reality, we probably own everybody at nearly every position.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:59 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:

What made you decide over Webfoot and Rosebuds? I suppose we can't be the Chinook, now.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:00 pm

Nothing strikes fear into opponents like warm snow eating winds....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:21 pm

Yeah... it's tough to complain when we have all 10 starters and a bench player earn all-conference awards.

BUT... I will say I was disappointed Kendra didn't get first team. I think she really deserved it.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm glad Angeli and Bosio made it too. What a struggle they've had down there at SCU.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Yeah... it's tough to complain when we have all 10 starters and a bench player earn all-conference awards.

BUT... I will say I was disappointed Kendra didn't get first team. I think she really deserved it.
And if we had been settled at center back we would have had the entire XI make it.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 pm

They haven't done the "Go" "Pilots" cheer for several games now. Any idea why?
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by the20pointmay Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:36 pm

They are a very superstitious team, I wouldn't be surprised if they have found a warm up/game time routine that they are sticking to as they have won for some time now (not sure when they stopped doing that cause it is kind of hard to hear anything in the student section)
the20pointmay
the20pointmay
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:16 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Yeah... it's tough to complain when we have all 10 starters and a bench player earn all-conference awards.

Aren't there 11 starters on a soccer side? Just askin'.

(I think Megan was the only center back to be honored. Kristin probably deserves at least an Honorable Mention. And had our three top center backs been healthy, we might have had multiple center backs win awards.)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Yes there are... But as Geez said, you can't give all the postseason awards to one team (even if they do deserve it), it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the league
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:51 pm

Kristen's only been playing the last few games. We haven't had a consistent line-up in the back through the season. Between Cloee, Michelle, Kassi, Kristen, and whoever else has been playing back there, there haven't been enough minutes to legitimately give all-conference recognition. Admittedly, we've got some of the best center backs in the country, but when they only play one-third of the time, it's tough to give them awards.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bluffer Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:31 pm

First I want to congratulate Michelle for being chose WCC Player of the Year. It is a well deserved award. I also want to thank her for playing the game the way she did and for creating so many memorable moments. Thankfully some of the best can be viewed at various locations on the internet and I plan to avail myself of those opportunites until she is back on the pitch with whatever WPS team is lucky enough to draft her.

Secondly I agree with everyone else, the Pilots could have had most of their starting eleven on the WCC first team and arguments can surely be made for both Kendra and Jessica's inclusion when you start comparing their play with their counterparts on the other 7 WCC teams. Hopefully they will have just as strong a year next year and will be awarded with a first team selection which they so rightly deserve.

As far as tomorrow's lineup, there's just no replacing Michelle's speed, ball handling and creativity, however, since I have to make a decision I think I would try either Kendall or Taylor at forward with Danielle, leaving Sophie and Kendra at attacking mid and wing. I like their speed and making one change is the least disruptive to the play that the team is accustomed to.

bluffer
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:51 pm

I want to say something here about Elli Reed, as I think she is having an excellent season and got underrated in the All-Conference teams, causing me more consternation than any of the other ratings. I think Elli has sacrificed a lot for the team, adapting and limiting some of the things she otherwise could do that are her strengths, because it's what the team has needed. It's subtle, but I hope people recognize it.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:44 pm

I'd have to agree with you bluffer - Kendall or Taylor in Michelle's spot.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next