Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NCAA host sites history

2 posters

Go down

NCAA host sites history Empty NCAA host sites history

Post by gnarly Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:35 pm

I took a look at the brackets from the last 7 years (2002-2008) to see what conclusions we could draw. The rules have changed a little but it still seems like NCAA tries to cut down travel costs is it's main objective for the first weekend of the playoffs. Let's look at it by region of the country.

Pacific NW:

UP is the only team to host and we have done that 3 times. ('08, 04, and '03). We have a partner in either UW or WSU two of those years. '04 was odd in that Web st, Col, and Utah all traveled our way? Other teams that have been shipped our way in those years are N. Az, Tex, Den, and Neb.

As we all are familiar with we got shipped for 1st weekend in '02 to BYU, in '05 to NEB, in '06 to Utah, and in '07 to Col.

Other teams that are out of our region have been Gon in '05 shipped to CS-Ful, WSU to SCU in '02, and UW to A&M in '08 and as a seed in '04 to Aub.

In N. Cal

Either SCU or Stanford has hosted every year with both hosting in '02. They have been joined from their local partners out of the WCC, Big Sky, WAC, Pac 10, or Big W like UCSB, Sac St, USC, Nev, Fr St, Cal, Cal poly, or ASU. Out of area teams to join them have been Kan, Den, St. L, and Creighton.

In S. Cal

UCLA has hosted 7 years in row. Same deal there with Fr st, SD, LB st, CS ful, LMU, UC -Riv, USC, Pep, or UNLV joining them. Out of area teams have been OK St, and low RPI team Miss Val.

CS-Ful also hosted as a seed in '05

What does suggest for 2009.

I think we'll have U of P , Stanford and UCLA will be the only host sites on the West Coast. U of P will have partner in Pac 10 team from NW who has lowest RPI but still 500 record. U of O might be out for this reason. Maybe UW then. UCLA likely to host with likes of teams like Cal Poly or SD st. Stanford could have SJ st or maybe big sky Sac st unless PSU makes it which means they come our way.

Of the rest of the PAC 10, I suspect that USC might head down A&M way to join likes of Tex St and Grambling St. WSU heads to BYU to join Utah St and seed SCU. OSU to get shipped ? Maybe back East somewhere where they upset a seed like VT or MD. I am expecting the likes of FL and seeded ACC to get shipped too since too many teams in FL and Carolinas to likely all host.

I'll comment on other regions in a later post.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

NCAA host sites history Empty Re: NCAA host sites history

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:02 pm

Keep up the work, gnarly!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:06 pm

Moving on to the Rockies:

Utah hosted in '03, '05, and '06. Byu in '02, and '08. Col hosted in '06 and '07. Others in the area joining the group have been Den, Id. St, Col Coll., Weber St. '08 was very odd year with VT, BU, and USC at BYU. Others from out of the area have been HI, U of P, Kentucky, and close by AZ.

This year I'm thinking BYU to host since they look to have lock on at large selection. WSU to join with Seed Santa Clara and fill in with maybe Utah st, Col Coll.

N.E.

Uconn has hosted 4 times, while BC hosted the last 3. Yale hosted one time. Other area teams that have joined are Harvard, NE, BU, LIU, Dart, Colgate, RI, Fairfield. Traveling teams have been WF, Tex, AZ, and Neb.

This year looking for BC to host as seed. Joining are Ucon, and likely BU. Rounding out will be Ivy league Yale or Harvard given their record and no conf tourney. Interesting that Penn and Dart have higher RPI.

FL

Hosting has been split between FL and FSU. Joining from the area have been UCF, Miami, Samford, LSU, Kenn. St, Aub, Jack., and Miss. the traveling teams from out of the area have been Cal, BC, Tex, Dart, and OK st.

This year we have possible seeds in FSU, UCF and FL. I am thinking FL will get shipped. UCF might host with teams like FIU, FLGC, and maybe Miami if they finish 500. FSU could host also and pick up teams in the SE like LSU or Miss or Aub (on the 500 bubble). Samford another possibility from the area.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:22 pm

i dug out this post from a year ago. Time to start updating it for who hosted in 2009 bracket.

We're likely to have many of the same old cast of schools host as last year, however the committee will have some challenges to work out based on the latest rpi. I know it is early, but still fun to ponder.

Big 12 likely to pose some challenges with Ok st, TT, A&M, Neb, Baylor, and Texas likely to make the tourney if selection was today. Since I believe the rules have not changed since last year. A lot of Texas schools likely to get shipped somewhere since they cannot meet the first weekend.

For UP, will UW (54) or OSU 8-1-1 but (87) rpi beat some Pac 10 teams and provide a playoff partner for us?

WCC might have 4 tourney teams this year, SCU, LMU and SD. Will UCLA continue its streak of hosting in So CA or might ASU or USC replace them. Stanford has the inside track on Bay area host site but Cal might be a second. SCU was second Bay area site last year.

By area based on prior years you are likely to see host in NW (if we get partner), Bay Area, LA, maybe Col/Utah, Ok/TX, Probably 2 in FL, two in Carolina's, a couple in the Great Lakes area, Boston area, VA, and maybe Ohio area.

I refine as we get a better picture on who gets the seeds. Feel free to make your own spectulation.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down