Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Research: Statistics about the make-up of the WCC

3 posters

Go down

Research: Statistics about the make-up of the WCC Empty Research: Statistics about the make-up of the WCC

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:40 pm

I was thinking today about how there are so few veteran big men in the conference. This led me to compile statistics on the entire conference. I began by gathering information from each team's official athletics page about the number of players in each grade level and I divided them into two groups, G and F/C (players labeled G/F counted as .5 toward each category). Below I have summarized my data.

OVERALL
Freshman……………...38.3%
Sophomores………….25.8%
Juniors…………………..20.8%
Seniors………………….15.0%
Lowerclassmen…….64.2%
Upperclassmen…….35.8%

Highest % Frosh……………………………………Gonzaga (56.3%)
Lowest % Frosh…………………………………….Portland (14.3%)
Highest % Soph…………………………………….Pepperdine (43.8%)
Lowest % Soph…………………………………….St. Mary's (7.1%)
Highest % Jr…………………………………………Portland, Santa Clara (28.6%)
Lowest % Jr…………………………………………Gonzaga (6.3%)
Highest % Sr…………………………………………Portland (35.7%)
Lowest % Sr…………………………………………..Santa Clara, Pepperdine, LMU (0%)
Highest % Upper/Lowest % Lower…………Portland (64.3%/35.7%)
Lowest % Upper/Highest % Lower………..LMU (20%/80%)
Highest % G/Lowest % F/C………………….San Diego (61.1%/38.9%)
Lowest % G/Highest % F/C…………………LMU (33.3%/66.7%)

GUARDS
Freshman…………..38.1%
Sophomores……...27.4%
Juniors……………...17.7%
Seniors………………16.8%
Lowerclassmen…..65.5%
Upperclassmen…..34.5%

Highest % Frosh…………………………………….St. Mary's (60%)
Lowest % Frosh…………………………………….Portland (12.5%)
Highest % Soph…………………………………….Pepperdine (53.8%)
Lowest % Soph……………………………………..St. Mary's (0%)
Highest % Jr………………………………………….LMU (40%)
Lowest % Jr………………………………………….USF, Pepperdine (0%)
Highest % Sr…………………………………………Portland (37.5%)
Lowest % Sr…………………………………………Santa Clara, Pepperdine, LMU (0%)
Highest % Upper/Lowest % Lower……..Portland, San Diego (50%/50%)
Lowest % Upper/Highest % Lower……..Pepperdine (0%/100%)

FORWARDS/CENTERS
Freshman…………..38.6%
Sophomores………24.4%
Juniors………………23.6%
Seniors……………..13.4%
Lowerclassmen…63.0%
Upperclassmen…37.0%

Highest % Frosh……………………………………Gonzaga (62.5%)
Lowest % Frosh……………………………………Portland (16.7%)
Highest % Soph…………………………………….LMU (50%)
Lowest % Soph……………………………………..Portland (0%)
Highest % Jr………………………………………….Portland (50%)
Lowest % Jr…………………………………………..Gonzaga (0%)
Highest % Sr…………………………………………Portland (33.3%)
Lowest % Sr…………………………………………Santa Clara, Pepperdine, LMU (0%)
Highest % Upper/Lowest % Lower……….Portland (83.3%/16.7%)
Lowest % Upper/Highest % Lower……….LMU (10%/90%)

I certainly answered my initial question about the lack of veteran big men; only 13% of big men are seniors and only 37% of big men are upperclassmen. Those are much lower than the 25% and 50% you would expect on average. In fact, if you remove Portland and look only at the other 7 teams, only 32.2% of big men are upperclassmen.

It seems quite unusual to have 3 teams without a senior on the roster. It is clear that we are THE veteran team of the conference. What an odd year...

If anyone would like a copy of my spreadsheet, which includes my initial data and the rest of the data (and more) laid out more neatly, just PM me with your email address and whether you would like the file in .xls or .xlsx format.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Research: Statistics about the make-up of the WCC Empty Re: Research: Statistics about the make-up of the WCC

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:44 pm

Well you also have to look at the fact that those 3 programs are very much rebuilding at this point, and it isn't a surprise to have more underclassmen at all when you think about the fact that most teams will have at LEAST 1-2 walkons that more than likely won't be retained for more than a year or two.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Research: Statistics about the make-up of the WCC Empty Re: Research: Statistics about the make-up of the WCC

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:10 am

Nice work. I think that the big question mark this year will be Gonzaga's depth. Their starting backcourt and ours will match up pretty well, and Sacre will be a big player in the WCC. But, we definitely have a better sixth man in Stohl than anyone who comes off of their bench who I know of... It will be players like Stohl and Steven Gray, depth, and injuries that decide the WCC...in my humble opion.

Lord, I just looked at Gonzaga's roster and realized that one of their freshman recruits was David Stockton out of Ferris, WA. I had no idea that they had landed him. He could be a very solid player.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:45 am

onetouchfutbol wrote:Nice work. I think that the big question mark this year will be Gonzaga's depth. Their starting backcourt and ours will match up pretty well, and Sacre will be a big player in the WCC. But, we definitely have a better sixth man in Stohl than anyone who comes off of their bench who I know of... It will be players like Stohl and Steven Gray, depth, and injuries that decide the WCC...in my humble opion. Even if they aren't ALL THAT this year they will continue to mature, as they always do.

Lord, I just looked at Gonzaga's roster and realized that one of their freshman recruits was David Stockton out of Ferris, WA. I had no idea that they had landed him. He could be a very solid player.

I think you're right AJ OTF, that depth and injuries will have a big impact on the WCC this year. I think that although GU is untested, they have scary potential. If Sacre and Foster have learned how to score consistently, we could be in trouble! Gonzaga is a young team and my untrained eye doesn't spot any Daye-like NBA jumpers among their ranks.

David Stockton is from Gonzaga Prep HS in Spokane, by the way.

I am eager to hear from anyone who was at the scrimmage last night. A buddy of mine was working at it and he sent me a brief message that said "the team looks bigger/stronger this year than last, especially luke and ethan." I think this bodes well for us!

This message from my friend put a strange thought in my head: what if we were able to put Luke out as a 3-man and we could have TJ, Nik, Luke, Robin and Kramer on the floor?! Against the right team (don't ask me which) that could be very interesting. Obviously this can't happen because it would leave only Jasonn to rotate in with Robin and Kramer. But it is an entertaining thought.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:14 pm

You're right; he did go to Gonzaga Prep. Okay, I was thinking of another: Shawn Stockton. I guess Shawn chose Montana, and he's a sophomore now...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:30 pm

Ahh, an understandable mistake, I suppose. I wouldn't have known or cared about where he was from if I weren't from Spokane.

I don't know much about him or if he is even all that skilled (is he on a scholarship?). He seems awfully small since he is LISTED at 5'10" and 150 lbs. For comparison, TJ is our shortest player, listed at 5'9" and 190 lbs and Jared is our lightest player, listed at 6'1" and 165 lbs.

Does anyone else know anything about him? I am not going to cower at his last name until I know more about him although I'm sure he has world-class instruction.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down