Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soooo....Weis?

+11
aleppiek
PurplePrideTrumpet
ShipstadPilot11
onetouchfutbol
Rob's Jacket
DaTruRochin
blacksheep
Geezaldinho
pilotram
Rochin54
mattywizz
15 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Soooo....Weis? Empty Soooo....Weis?

Post by Guest Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:50 pm

What happened? I heard Lou Holtz say the Irish were going to be undefeated! I assume in South Bend they've already figured how they'll still play in the BCS title game.

Complaining about the refs is kinda undignified for the guy sitting in the same seat as Leahy and Parseghian, isn't it? Soooo....Weis? Icon_pirat

Back to top Go down

Soooo....Weis? Empty Re: Soooo....Weis?

Post by mattywizz Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:53 am

I wouldn't worry, Notre Dame is guarateed a BCS beatdown as long as they go 7-5.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:28 am

You guys are brutal!

It seems like most people around here were.....really ticked off....about the loss to Michigan. Wies is in a hot seat, for sure.

Myself, I'm not as worried about it. It was the second game of the season, and ND was never going to go undefeated. I personally thought this year was a 9-3 year, with a loss to USC and two others. I didn't know who it would be, but I sure didn't think it would be Michigan. I still think they are good enough and have an easy enough schedule to make it to 9-3, though there is much less breathing room now.

In my opinion, everyone gets themselves into waaay too much of a tizzy over an early season loss. Give the team and the coaches an opportunity to fix things up a bit before you get all crazy on them.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:09 am

If his name was Ty Willingham, he'd be gone by now.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:27 am

Soooo....Weis? S-WEIS-large
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:59 am

I'm sick of all the excuses people make for Weis. How many years did we have to hear that Willingham left the cupboard bare? Now he has his own players, and an easy schedule. They need to win some games this year.

He has 6 years left on his $30-40M deal. I doubt even Notre Dame can afford to buy him out after this year if they don't win some games.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:12 am

http://www.amazon.com/New-Gold-Standard-Charlie-Notre/dp/1933060204/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253034695&sr=8-6

This came out in 2006. Rolling Eyes Soooo....Weis? 51gRNUO6GYL._SS500_
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:14 am

Ha, the customer reviews are hilarious.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:12 am

How bout this one

Soooo....Weis? Return10
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:32 am

From wikipedia:
"Willingham began the 2002 season by going 8–0, and went on to become the only first-year coach in Notre Dame history to win 10 games."
It was a good first season for him (slightly better than Weiss's first season, 9-2)
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:58 am

Its amazing how little material is required to put one of those books together...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:54 pm

blacksheep wrote:I'm sick of all the excuses people make for Weis. How many years did we have to hear that Willingham left the cupboard bare? Now he has his own players, and an easy schedule. They need to win some games this year.

I agree - he's got the rest of the season to win games, so there's no need for me (or anyone else in my opinion) to get my panties in a bunch after two games.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Haha you clearly aren't a ND alumnus....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:48 pm

DaTruRochaldo wrote:Haha you clearly aren't a ND alumnus....
A lot of ND fans aren't. It's pathetic.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:33 am

Rochin54 wrote:I agree - he's got the rest of the season to win games, so there's no need for me (or anyone else in my opinion) to get my panties in a bunch after two games.

But there is a need for you to skip the third game so that you can attend the Great Lakes Beer festival. Seriously, Michigan-Central Michigan would be a better game than Notre Dame-Michigan St...would you skip a brew festival for that game??? I think not. Shame on you Rochin54.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:56 am

Can't skip it - got some in-laws coming in for it. How about you drive down here, stop off at some breweries to pick up various beers, and bring them to our tailgate for immediate consumption. I'll buy a box of zingers for you.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:12 pm

coldsmokeAT wrote:
DaTruRochaldo wrote:Haha you clearly aren't a ND alumnus....
A lot of ND fans aren't. It's pathetic.

One Saturday night when I was about five, a Holy Names sister that my family's known for ages came over and sat down by me at our parish's Vigil Mass. She was wearing a Fighting Irish sweatshirt and asked me if I knew the score of the ND game that afternoon. When I said I didn't, this 4'11'' Italian nun gave me a look of horror and said, "What?! All good Catholics HAVE to root for Notre Dame!"

That's why I root for ND.

FACT.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:02 pm

Got a win today, but now Washington doesn't look like a gimme
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:35 am

Since when do you have to be an alumnus to root for a team? We have a lot of good fans of UP women's soccer who never went to UP. A lot of annoying Ducks fans never attended the U of O. I root for UW and ND in football. I grew up in the state of Washington, and I've been watching ND since I was about 5 years old on my grandfather's lap. I would say that a transplant who grows up in another state and then relocates and becomes an alumnus is just as much of a bandwagon fan (if not more) than someone who grew up watching a team, but, did not go to a school for whatever reason. If you attend a college only because of their sports teams without thinking about the majors they offer, it's probably not a wise choice anyways...Just my opinion. Peace.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:02 am

What?! All good Catholics HAVE to root for Notre Dame!

Haha I personally and proudly am a born and raised Irish Catholic who LOATHES the Irish... Apparently now there are 4'11" Italian nuns who will not approve of me.... Although admittedly they probably also won't approve of the frequency I attend mass, but that's a different story altogether

As for the alumni thing... I had my housing deposit submitted and everything at UW, but then at the last minute switched to UP, a decision that has haunted Rochin54 ever since....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:07 am

DaTruRochin wrote:Apparently now there are 4'11" Italian nuns who will not approve of me....

I happen to see many of these nuns every week. I'll put in a good word for you!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:09 am

I can understand why people dislike Notre Dame with the national television contract, and occasional "holier than thou" attitude, and everything else. It's definitely not the school of the ostracized Catholic immigrant anymore. At the same time, UP is a sister school, and I had some excellent classes from instructors who taught at ND such as Claude Pomerlau, CSC. The ND influence is always going to be a part of UP since we're sister schools. Like it or not, there will always be some UP alumni who are fans of ND football. We don't have a team. I'll never root for their women's soccer team though. Ever. Ever. Did I say never ever?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:54 am

What is the color of the boathouse at Notre Dame? LOL.
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:58 pm

Knowing that UP and ND are sister schools, and that many (all?) of the Holy Cross priests at UP have ND roots, I just have a hard time rooting for the Irish. It bugs me that they get extra credit for their history, and any moderately successful ND football team will be considered for a major bowl game, where they'll get creamed. Plus, I just can't stand Charlie.

That said, this week I am torn. My formative years were spent rooting for Oregon when they were really bad. I remember celebrating when they weren't listed in the Bottom Ten list of worst teams. Or even if they were, at least OSU was listed as worse. Therefore, I can not stand the UDub Fuskies, as they are the team Oregon fans despise the most. And this week, UW plays ND. What to do, who to root against?

How do you other PN'ers resolve these types of conflicts, when either two hated rivals play each other, or two favorite teams meet? Assuming most of you are crazy enough to actually care about these things to begin with! Rolling Eyes

I think I have to go with the "who have you hated the longest" approach, therefore I must want ND to win. Now that I think about it, I want ND to win in a dominating fashion, only to be exposed later for the weak team they really are. Adds the the Fusky misery.

Apologies in advance to the UW fans on our board, but it is encoded in my DNA, and I can not put it aside.

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Even though I have lived outside of the Pac-10 geographical area for a few years I still consider myself a Pac-10 fan (even moreso now that I live in Big Eleven country). Also, I grew up as an OSU fan (second to UP of course), mostly because everyone I knew was a UO fan and I love to be the antagonist. For some reason, I don't really like the Ducks and for the most part like to see them lose. As far as other Pac-10 teams go, the Beavers never really seemed good enough to dislike any other 'rival.' Wazzu is fine, because they are generally harmless and I guess I generally root against UW.

When it comes to non-conference games though, I generally root for any pac-10 team. I figure that is the best way to improve OSU's RPI/ranking, etc...The better the teams they play, the better they look in the rankings/to the voters.

So I would say for a Duck fan, you should probably root for UW this week because that will help their opponents W/L (although that will hurt their opponent's opponents W/L).

So yeah, that is generally what I think. Always root for the team in your conference...unless of course you are in the WCC, you can NEVER root for Gonzaga.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next