Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TFITB gets Player of the Week Awards

+2
purple haze
Geezaldinho
6 posters

Go down

TFITB gets  Player of the Week Awards Empty TFITB gets Player of the Week Awards

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:50 pm

Danielle (that would be The Fox In The Box) was named the WCC player of the week

http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2009/8/31/WSOC_0831094315.aspx

That and TopDrawer's Team of the week placement makes her 2 for 2.

Congrats Danni!

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

TFITB gets  Player of the Week Awards Empty Re: TFITB gets Player of the Week Awards

Post by purple haze Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:19 pm

A well-deserved honor for Danielle. Her overall game is stronger this season -- and any defense that tries to shut down TFITB will get burned by SSOC (Sophie Schmidt of Canada) or Michelle or Elli or... . The entire starting 6 at forward and midfield is made up of proven goal scorers. And with the defense adding an occasional goal and assists, UP is a force to be reckoned with.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

TFITB gets  Player of the Week Awards Empty Re: TFITB gets Player of the Week Awards

Post by Harry Redknapp Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:43 pm

Agree about the threat from our front players, although I'd say front five. Keelin is a very good player, but she's not a goal scorer.

One area in which UP could be better than for a long time is on corner kicks and dead ball plays into the box. With Sophie, Keelin, Michelle O and Cloee all strong in the air this is a great opportunity. Goal #3 v Cal was the result of three headers in the box - Cloee, Sophie and Michelle.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:48 pm

Harry Redknapp wrote:Agree about the threat from our front players, although I'd say front five. Keelin is a very good player, but she's not a goal scorer.

Maybe she just doesn't see that as her role. I think she was a forward in prep, and at one point during qualifications she was the leading scorer for the u20's. but she played more advanced for them.

Anybody else notice that her pony tail looks more and more like Betsey Barr's?

Is that a requirement for holding mid ??
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:15 pm

Harry Redknapp wrote:Agree about the threat from our front players, although I'd say front five. Keelin is a very good player, but she's not a goal scorer.

One area in which UP could be better than for a long time is on corner kicks and dead ball plays into the box. With Sophie, Keelin, Michelle O and Cloee all strong in the air this is a great opportunity. Goal #3 v Cal was the result of three headers in the box - Cloee, Sophie and Michelle.

Agreed. I was surprised at the UO game that both Pilot corners were taken short.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:53 am

Regarding Keelin, I think she (or the coaches) are clear that her top priorities are protecting the defense and supporting the offense. If we have outside defenders who get forward - like jessica can - that also requires the holding mid to cover back. So Keelin won't get in scoring positions in open play - not a criticism just a function of her role. Having said that I think that Keelin could take a few more shots. She sometimes gets the ball just outside the penalty area with nobody closing her down. I'd like to see her take a crack from there every now and then.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:18 am

Soccer America has the following headline.

Portland sophomore Danielle Foxhoven, who scored the first two goals in the No. 3 Pilots' 4-0 win over California and both goals in 2-0 victory over Washington, heads the Soccer America Women's Team of the Week.

I'll let Geezer or someone with a subscription fill in the details, as well as the top 25...
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

TFITB gets  Player of the Week Awards Empty Here's the SA team of the week

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:55 am

Danielle makes a clean sweep

Soccer America Women's Team of the Week
Tuesday, Sep 1, 2009 6:45 AM ET
[COLLEGE] Danielle Foxhoven, who scored two goals in No. 3 Portland's 4-0 win over ranked California and both goals in 2-0 victory over Washington, is the Soccer America Women's Player of the Week for games played Aug. 28-30.

GOALKEEPER
Kristin Russell (St. John's), Soph.
Earned a 1-0 overtime win at Cal State Fullerton, then made six saves in a 2-1 win at ranked USC.

DEFENDERS
Sylvia Forbes (Purdue), Sr.
Canadian scored on the opening kickoff, tying NCAA record for the fastest goal, in 3-2 victory at Texas A&M.
Dominique Locascio (Rutgers), Soph.
Led defense that held Toledo to just one shot on goal in 0-0 tie and limited ranked Missouri to five shots on goal in 1-0 win.
Blakely Mattern (South Carolina), Sr.
Led defense that allowed only two shots and one shot on goal in 2-0 wins over College of Charleston and Western Carolina.

MIDFIELDERS
Taylor Cunningham (Mississippi), Jr.
MVP of the Ole Miss Nike Invitational had three goals and assist in wins over Morehead State (3-0) and Jackson State (6-0).
Tobin Heath (North Carolina), Sr.
Scored on a 30-yard rocket and a deft header -- and set up the first goal -- in 4-0 win over UCF.

FORWARDS
Tiffany Brown (Colorado College), Jr.
Scored gamewinner in 2-1 victory over ranked Washington State and had assists on all three goals in 3-2 win over Drake.
Danielle Foxhoven (Portland), Soph.
Scored first two goals in 4-0 win over ranked California and both goals in 2-0 victory over Washington.
Corky Julien (James Madison), Sr.
Canadian scored five goals in victories over Xavier (5-1) and Bucknell (3-0) at the JMU Invitational.
Caroline Miller (Virginia), Fr.
Scored one goal and three assists in 5-0 win over Liberty and added two goals and an assist in 7-0 win over Hofstra.
Jennifer Williams (New Mexico), Soph.
Tied school record with three goals and two assists for eight points in 6-2 win over Illinois State. (Lobo TV Interview)

Apparently, the team of the week is playing a 3-2-5

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:12 am

Geezaldinho wrote:
Apparently, the team of the week is playing a 3-2-5

Forwards get the stats, so they're easier to notice. Even one of the defenders on the list is there because she scored a goal.

I'm wondering how long until we see a TOW that plays a 0-0-10.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 am

Dani keeps racking up awards for her play over the weekend.

* Soccer America national POW.
* Top Drawer national TOW.
* WCC POW.

Have I missed anything, yet?

cheers
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:48 am

Harry Redknapp wrote:Regarding Keelin, I think she (or the coaches) are clear that her top priorities are protecting the defense and supporting the offense. If we have outside defenders who get forward - like jessica can - that also requires the holding mid to cover back. So Keelin won't get in scoring positions in open play - not a criticism just a function of her role. Having said that I think that Keelin could take a few more shots. She sometimes gets the ball just outside the penalty area with nobody closing her down. I'd like to see her take a crack from there every now and then.

Keelin may be even more involved than that when Kassi comes back. If you recall, Keelin played some Attacking mid this spring and in summer league games, and she played it some last year.

I wouldn't be at all shocked to see Keelin at AM, M.O. at holding mid again, and Kassi and Cloee in the back all in the mix during at least parts of some games.

That does, of course, change the lineup all over the place.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

TFITB gets  Player of the Week Awards Empty The accolades continue

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:59 pm

And not just for Danielle for her finishing.

She and Jessica both got recognized this week as two of CS360's Primetime performers of the week.

http://www.collegesoccer360.com/awards_2.html

We know about Danielle from her other awards, But Jessica was key to shutting down key opponents on the wings and contributing an assist in each of the two weekend's shutouts..

Congrats Danielle (again) and Jessica.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down