Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update on Pooh

+4
Rochin54
Geezaldinho
DaTruRochin
Stonehouse
8 posters

Go down

Update on Pooh Empty Update on Pooh

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:04 pm

Joe Freeman of the O talks about Pooh's chances. Just paraphrasing what he said:

Possible he makes the Blazers roster, too early to tell. Only will extend him a training camp invite if he has a realistic shot at making the roster. They don't want to jerk him around. SBlazers are interested, they liked what they saw in him, and so did a lot of other teams. Pooh really helped himself a lot this summer... has a chance to make the league with the Blazers or somebody else.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/blazers/2009/07/wrapping-up-blazers-summer-league-mp3.html

Pooh is mentioned throughout, but the real Pooh talk starts at about the 22:30 mark.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Update on Pooh Empty Re: Update on Pooh

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:59 pm

Just read that the Blazers are on the verge of putting an offer in for Andre Miller; if that goes through (and barring a trade of Bayless) I'd say the chances of Pooh getting a camp invite just got a little slimmier...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:34 am

DaTruRochin wrote:Just read that the Blazers are on the verge of putting an offer in for Andre Miller; if that goes through (and barring a trade of Bayless) I'd say the chances of Pooh getting a camp invite just got a little slimmier...

Dwight Jaynes broached this subject in His blog a day or two ago.

He thinks if Miller comes, Bayless goes, leaving Patty Mills or Pooh as the third guy.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:18 am

It makes sense to me, and would allow them to bring another quality player in a need position. Bayless was considered a steal at the 12 pick (or whenever he went, I'm too lazy to look it up), is young, and could fit in nicely for another team looking for a player brimming with potential (who isn't exactly expensive because of the Rookie salary structure).

He isn't going to want to come off the bench, well at least not without getting 2nd string minutes at minimum and his PG skills are shaky at best so I could see how him being limited in that regard. BUT, at the same time, in the 4th quarter is a "pure" point guard even really that necessary?? The ball isn't going to be in their hands (Number 7 has that job locked down as long as he dons the red and black). When blake went down, Bayless' #s skyrocketed. The kid has the athletic ability and determination to potentially be a pesky defender, epecially against the now in vogue small/quick PG. I mean did anyone else watch the Aaron Brooks destruction of Steve Blake?? I'm fairly certain Raef Lafrentz made a more stout defensive contribution in that series.

I don't know I guess the team needs to decide how they want to handle things. Andre Miller for his career has been a solid PG, runs an offense well BUT he is an atrocious deep shooter, along the lines of, cough, 21%, cough for his career... Is that really the answer? He may be the best FA out there, but is he really the answer?? And no I'm not alluding to The Answer, but I guess Andre Miller, at age 33, represents a stop gap measure. And with so many teams primed to be better right now (LA, Boston, SA, Cleveland, Orl, I want to say Hou but poor Yao...) is a stop gap the right idea, or should we be focusing on the future 2-3 years down the road. I mean we can take the division, Utah is broken, Minny and The Team that Must Not Be Named are young and growing and Denver, well I'm not sure what to make of them. But the NBA championship isn't gonna happen with LA being as stacked as they are, and a healthy Spurs team is capable of taking it all.

I guess the thing is, do we trade Bayless now and cash in on his potential? Do we grind it out and risk having him never pan out? Eek, this is why GM's get paid the big bucks, not an easy task, especially with the fickle fan base (and lest we forget bald headed goons dissecting every move in hopes to dredge up enough controversy to promote our sham of a reporting career... Wait, no, I'm making that last person up Rolling Eyes ) Anyway it's late, I'm ranting, and to be honest I could probably overload the server with my drivel so I'm gonna call it.... for now....

Haha, oh I forgot, GO POOH! WE LOVE FREE THROWS!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:00 am

Phew, what were you drinking last night???
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:02 am

Surprisingly no....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:15 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:<Rant>
Haha, oh I forgot, GO POOH! WE LOVE FREE THROWS!
</rant>
*ahem*

That bald-headed goon was America's top sports columnist last year, or so says the Big O. Suspect

Who exactly determined he was the best or what methods were used is another issue...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:30 pm

Now Dwight thinks it's all a done deal.

Miller and Bayless, that is....

http://www.dwightjaynes.com/andre-miller-a-blazer-within-24-hours
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:56 pm

And... the first shoe drops.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/blazers_to_sign_free_agent_and.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Countdown to au revoir Jerryd begins I guess...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:34 pm

Nah, I don't see it as a done deal.

The Blazers aren't going go to just give him away. If he's going to sit on the end of the bench and sulk, fine. He should know that nothing will be handed to him - either he earns his minutes or he doesn't.

As Khan would say... he is in no position to make demands and the Blazers really aren't in a position to give anything either, especially considering Bayless' trade value is likely quite low right now.

Star Trek 2 reference? Anyone? I'll be here all night...
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:05 am

I thought you were talking about David "2 PG" Kahn... But yeah I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if we hold on to him for a while and wait out until the less financially solvent teams start to panic and sell their assets below value as the season drags on... and then there's next summers FA market...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:15 am

Did they sign Miller to the same kind of contract that they signed Turkoglu and Milsap to?

Also, I don't follow the NBA much, but didn't Andre Miller once play for the Clippers (which begs the question, has anyone ever left the Clippers and been good) and isn't he like 50 years old?
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:54 am

No, Yes and Yes.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:58 am

DaTruRochin wrote:No, Yes and Yes.
and no
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:38 pm

Ummm...he's actually 33 years old. I'm not much of an NBA fan anymore since the Sonics have left Seattle, but, as an outsider looking in, I'd have to say that having a veteran will be an asset for the Blazers. It takes some pressure off of Brandon Roy, and it still mean that Pooh could make the team as an insurance policy...who knows.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:32 pm

BUMP

Back from vacation... and now back on Pilot Nation!

A new article about Pooh has been posted. Well, actually it's more of a Q&A. Lots of good info:

http://www.solobasket.com/news/pooh/jeter/i/can/play/in/the/nba/c-22088.html

It looks like Pooh has signed on with a Spanish team, Cajasol. Maybe you Spanish-speakers out there can help me with this link... ich kann nur Deutsch.

http://www.solobasket.com/contenidos/cajasol/joan/plaza/finalmente/convencen/pooh/jeter/c-22091.html

I know he was really hoping to make an NBA team and probably had a good chance had he gone to a training camp for some team, but he did the smart thing here by signing a contract with a Spanish team while he still had the chance. I'm sure it was a tough decision for him, especially since he played so well in the summer league, but hey... he's getting paid a lot of money to play basketball, and who knows? Maybe the NBA dream will come true some day.

Best of luck to Pooh!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:04 pm

bases que disputaron
somehow has a little bit more sex appeal than "point guard"....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Apparently the preceeding story has been refuted by Pooh on Twitter, this was posted an hour ago:

To all my spanish fans in the ACB, I will not be joining Cajasol Seville. I will keep everyone posted on what God has planned for me next.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:03 pm

Not exactly breaking news, but an update is an update. I have a good feeling about his chances this time as a good veteran presence for a young team.

king KINGS SIGN ANTOINE WRIGHT AND POOH JETER TO CONTRACTS

SACRAMENTO, CA, July 21, 2010 -- The Sacramento Kings today signed free agents Antoine Wright and Pooh Jeter to contracts, according to Kings’ Vice President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Wayne Cooper. Per team policy, terms of the contracts were not disclosed.

Jeter, a 5-11, 175-pound guard, has played overseas for the last four seasons for BC Kiev (2007-08, Ukraine), ViveMenorca (2008-09, Spain), Unicaja Malaga (2009, Spain) and Hapoel Jerusalem (2009-10, Israel). His professional career began with the Colorado 14ers of the NBA D-League (2006-07) where he averaged 14.4 points (.486 FGs, .263 3FGs, .885 FTs), 7.1 assists and 3.0 rebounds per game through 50 contests. Jeter played for the Kings in the 2007 Summer League in Las Vegas, and most recently played for the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2010 Summer League where he averaged 14.8 points (.482 FGs, .250 3FGs, .800 FTs), a team-leading 5.4 assists, 2.0 rebounds and 1.0 steals per game over five outings. He enjoyed a four-year career at the University of Portland, averaging 14.9 points (.550 FGs, .420 FTs), 3.0 assists and 2.8 rebounds per game through 115 career contests.

His summer league experience with the Kings and his appearance in a poster in the Admissions office on my first visit helped me decide to 'take my talents' to Waud's Bluff and join Reveno's Radicals (Name subject to change) at UP.
DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:26 pm

.420 FTs at UP????

Our "because they are free" Pooh?

Where did they get THAT?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sherman Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Misreading his career stats from portlandpilots.com.

He went 550-1309 from the field or .420 and 408-482 or .846 from the charity stripe. The other stats listed are correctly.

While looking at his career stats, I found he had one block and one foul out, both during his junior season: the block came in the middle of a 14-0 run late in the second half of a tough 66-63 loss against Oregon State, in which he also lead the game with 27 points; the foul out with a second to go in their 65-60 loss to USF in the 2005 WCC Tournament.

DJ Sherman
DJ Sherman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down