Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The People's Uprising

+2
onetouchfutbol
Geezaldinho
6 posters

Go down

The People's Uprising Empty The People's Uprising

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:46 am

Nope, not Iran.

BS has seen more action since yesterday that I think I have ever seen after a game. It's actually impossible to read all the posts - they are still coming in faster than normal people can read.

I'll Pick one thread. the "fire Bob Bradley" thread, where the post count is now over 1200 and counting in less than a day.

All the posts are up to the normal excellent and insightful standards of BS, of course.

(or is that incite - full?) I think one of the greatest meetings of the century was when they sat down at that brainstorming meeting to name the website....

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055033
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

The People's Uprising Empty Re: The People's Uprising

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:44 pm

It's definitely not the players' faults, right? Give me a break. I admit that I would love to see a US coach really promote playing a more technical, one touch style, especially against teams like Costa Rica. But, I seriously don't think that Bob Bradley is such a bad coach.

I remember a similar sentiment when Alexi Lalas was blaming Clive Charles and other coaches for the MNT's problems several years ago. This happens over and over again regardless of who is the coach. But, at least some of the blame has to go toward the players. Bradley can't suit up and play, and he's clearly interested in putting good talent on the field with guys like Casey Conor playing with Donovan and Altidore together. Against teams like Costa Rica, the players have to deliver.

I agree with the sarcasm...insightful BS indeed.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:44 pm

I definitely think the player's heart and effort are the huge reason for 2 horrible showings, albiet against literally the top 2 footballing countries in the world (Sorry if I offend your beloved Argentina Geez). Bradley has been a proven coach on the MLS level and a long time part of the development in US soccer, but his tactics and game day selections definitely align him for a significant level of culpability. He seems to rely on out of form players, expecting them to snap out of it. As soon as Ching went down it kind of rendered Altidore ineffective as the former Zag seems to be the only strikeforce partner Jozy has been able to really gel with. (Also, JA actually playing in club would be nice, not to mention Adu). It's also unfortunate to lose Maurice Edu, as our central midfield has been absolutely moribund... Freddy and Torres had better play in this last match to get the experience and not render this tourney a total waste. Dempsey hasn't played well lately for the US (especially after his fantastic 2nd half of the year at Fullham), Kleijstan has been awful, and don't get me started on Beasley

I'm not one to jump on the fire the coach bandwagon, but if the team doesn't A) qualify for the WC and B) actually do something once they get there, I really dont' see there being a future for Bradley at the international level.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:56 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:I definitely think the player's heart and effort are the huge reason for 2 horrible showings, albiet against literally the top 2 footballing countries in the world (Sorry if I offend your beloved Argentina Geez). Bradley has been a proven coach on the MLS level and a long time part of the development in US soccer, but his tactics and game day selections definitely align him for a significant level of culpability. He seems to rely on out of form players, expecting them to snap out of it. As soon as Ching went down it kind of rendered Altidore ineffective as the former Zag seems to be the only strikeforce partner Jozy has been able to really gel with. (Also, JA actually playing in club would be nice, not to mention Adu). It's also unfortunate to lose Maurice Edu, as our central midfield has been absolutely moribund... Freddy and Torres had better play in this last match to get the experience and not render this tourney a total waste. Dempsey hasn't played well lately for the US (especially after his fantastic 2nd half of the year at Fullham), Kleijstan has been awful, and don't get me started on Beasley

I'm not one to jump on the fire the coach bandwagon, but if the team doesn't A) qualify for the WC and B) actually do something once they get there, I really dont' see there being a future for Bradley at the international level.

I take no offense, Agentina is notorious for its manager problems. I just hope they dump "El 10" and get on with it. It's clear those guys don't want to play for him. (sound familiar?)

I would point out that the #1 team in the world right now is Spain, based on 16 straight wins, 36 straight games undefeated, and about 31 of those being victories.

Until somebody beats them, the rest are just pretenders.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:11 pm

Yeah I was basing it off historical WC victories, but yeah Spain has been hot as hell as of late (btw how wild is it that Cesc Fabergas comes off the bench for that side...)

Yeah... If the manager can't get a team amped up to play the likes of Brazil and Italy, there's obviously more to the situation than just effort and tactics. I mean back to spanish soccer, the revolving door with proven, successful managers at Madrid just shows event he best can't always get the most out of their players (Not that the US is anywhere near galactico talent)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Well it would appear that Bradley has bought himself some time... This is quite a match put together by the MNT.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:21 pm

Well well well. Shocked
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Unbelievable. And Conor could have scored late to make it 3-0 if it weren't for a sketchy offsides call.

Too bad we got another red card though...
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Nine out of 10 USL referees thought that red was nonsense. WTF?
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:44 pm

Seriously. Awful call.

BUT... it was probably deserving of a yellow, and since Bradley got a yellow against Egypt he would have been banned from playing against Brazil anyway.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:52 pm

Oh, I would have expected a yellow and been fine with it.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:04 pm

I think the ref realized the US had played the entire game sliding, and had yet to give out a booking for anything beyond ripping a shirt off (btw, Jozy come on... that's the one celebration you CAN'T do... (well that and the Nigerian dog pee...)). He must have felt he needed to do something. But in a physical game that never struck me as anything particularly "dirty" randomly pulling out a red seemed a bit ridiculous... Haha maybe Bradley should give Darren Fletcher a call so they can commiserate...

I'm not sure if they have an appeal process in place for this tournament, but I'd say if the Champs league doesn't have one, they won't. But I think the way Fielhaber has been playing it might not necessarily be a complete disaster.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:06 am

Purplegeezer wrote:
I take no offense, Agentina is notorious for its manager problems. I just hope they dump "El 10" and get on with it. It's clear those guys don't want to play for him. (sound familiar?)

Just to show you how coaching problems are solved elsewhere:

Argentina's manager woes have just taken an interesting turn. Maranona was just given a 100K per month contract for the next year (about double the previous coaches), which will take him through the World Cup cycle. The reason cited was the rejuvenation of fan interest for National team games and confidence in his abilities (Really? You keep a coach because attendance is up???)

On the same day, the President of the Argentine Football Assn. said that Maradona says the door is "open" to Riquelme's return to the National Team and the President will find the "key" to unlocking the door (If it's open.....why do you need a key?)

I can see the discussion that must have taken place between the AFA and Maradona...

Maradona: I'll never take him back!

AFA: How about if we double your salary?

Maradona: Helloooo Riquelme - Door's open. "
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:41 am

Yeah, haha even when there is a disasterous coach like Steve Sampson or whatever, the coaches leaving is never a very eventful transition (thank god)...

Argentina hasn't been able to put it together in quite a while (haha and the last time they did, they needed a hand ball to do it)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down