Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible 2009 Recruit: Steven Bjornstad

5 posters

Go down

Possible 2009 Recruit: Steven Bjornstad Empty Possible 2009 Recruit: Steven Bjornstad

Post by Stonehouse Mon May 25, 2009 1:01 pm

Spent some time with my good friend Google this morning and came across this interesting bit:

The Wolf Pack has refused to release Bjornstad from his letter of intent, so other schools cannot contact Bjornstad directly. Long said WSU and Portland have contacted him to make their interest in Bjornstad known.
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/may/17/cougs-recruiting-columbia-river-big-man/

Bjornstad is a 6'10", 228lb center/forward from Vancouver, Washington (Columbia River HS). He averaged 15 points, 10 boards, 4 blocks, and shot 79% (!) from the field. He originally committed to Nevada and signed his LOI but has asked for his release after Mark Fox left Nevada for Georgia. As of right now, Nevada's athletic director is refusing to grant him his release, but according to this article he definitely isn't going there no matter what:

"We don't know where he'll be next year, but it won't be Nevada," Long said. He added that Bjornstad also will not play for any WAC rival of the Wolf Pack.

The article focuses on Washington State, but the Cougars already have a full 13 and apparantly have a 14th guy who has been promised a scholarship if one of their current scholarship players "retires" due to chronic back problems. So unless Bone is willing to give someone the boot, that bodes well for us. It also mentions that two other unnamed WCC schools have contacted Long about Bjornstad.

Sounds like this could be a perfect fit for Portland... he's local and we need a big guy to replace Hegarty. How sweet would it be if he fell into our laps? The issue with his release is annoying, but hardly an insurmountable obstacle.

Very interesting...
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Possible 2009 Recruit: Steven Bjornstad Empty Re: Possible 2009 Recruit: Steven Bjornstad

Post by PilotNut Mon May 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Sounds like he would be a good addition to the team... lets hope it works out.

Why hasnt Nevada released him yet? That's kind of weird... Suspect

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Possible 2009 Recruit: Steven Bjornstad Empty Re: Possible 2009 Recruit: Steven Bjornstad

Post by Geezaldinho Mon May 25, 2009 2:55 pm

If they don' release him, he should enroll, go to one day of classes, and withdraw.

He's in the same boat, and they lose the scholarship slot.

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Mon May 25, 2009 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon May 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Cool last name. Is that Swedish?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Possible 2009 Recruit: Steven Bjornstad Empty bjornstad

Post by upsailor Mon May 25, 2009 4:24 pm

The only time I saw him play was the Oregon-Washington shootout. He played very little and all I can say is that he is quite slow and not at all athletic.
I alsosaw him play in the Wshington State toutrn. and tho much ta;ller than the oposing players showed the same problems.this was on TV.
I would not rush to recruit him, but what do I know

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 25, 2009 9:09 pm

Nice sleuthing!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:39 pm

UPDATE!!!

From yesterday's Columbian, Bjornstad has finally been given his release from Nevada. Washington State is considered the favorite, but a couple of WCC teams have stepped into the fray as well. Will be very interesting to see how this shakes down...

Long said Bjornstad plans to visit WSU, Saint Mary's and quite possibly Santa Clara and Portland in the near future. All those schools have offered scholarships, Long said, along with Lehigh (Pa.), Eastern Washington, Southern Methodist and Boise State.
Long said Bjornstad "likes the Cougars, but I know Saint Mary's and Santa Clara behind Nevada were probably two and three when he made his original decision when Washington State wasn't offering."

http://www.columbian.com/article/20090611/SPORTS02/706119938/-1/SPORTS
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Possible 2009 Recruit: Steven Bjornstad Empty Bjornstad

Post by upsailor Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:49 pm

I gotta say that I feel that we need some help at the post position, but I am not sure this player is the answer.
If he did sign with the Pilots would that makke it difficult to sign a better prospect from the class of 2010 ? Onhe other hand could we do better by taking a JC player. That way a 2010 player would have a better chance of playing time sooner, if U follow me.
Offhand I would say that Bjornstad is looking at quite a few schools which bothers me and
he is noot looking for the best oportunity, which i feel is the Pilots.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down