Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Verbal of the 2010 Class: Keith Shamburger

+7
aleppiek
DaTruRochin
wrv
PilotNut
Rochin54
mattywizz
Stonehouse
11 posters

Go down

First Verbal of the 2010 Class: Keith Shamburger Empty First Verbal of the 2010 Class: Keith Shamburger

Post by Stonehouse Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:25 pm

First Verbal of the 2010 Class: Keith Shamburger Acedad16-c6d0-480d-9fc1-b1050b70175c_medium

That's right... Keith Shamburger, a combo guard from Southern California has commited to play for the Pilots!!! He was the Player of the Year in his conference as a sophomore.

http://sectionsports.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=931811

6'1" 2010 Keith Shamburger of Serra HS, Gardena, CA (West Coast Academy)
- Athletic combo guard that can score it. Handles it well and is effective in transition, sees the floor. Committed to Portland.

Also a blurb I found in a Google cache:

25. Keith Shamburger, 5-10, 2/1, Serra HS (Gardena)
The Portland-commit had a solid sophomore season at LaVerne Lutheran averaging 16 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds and 3 steals per game. He earned the CIF Southern Section John Wooden Award, Arrowhead League Offensive Player of the Year and Southern Section D-V Co-Player of the Year before transferring schools leading to some eligibility issues.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:MBY8JwgGPngJ:www.socalhoops.tierranet.com/menswwwboard1/messages/39308.html+portland-commit+shamburger&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I see him listed as anywhere from 5'10" to 6'1"... probably the truth is somewhere in the middle. He played for a very small school his first two years (LaVerne Lutheran) and then transferred to a bigger school (Long Beach Cabrillo) for his junior year but was ruled inelligble because he didn't live in the boundaries of the school, I think. (Imagine a kid from North Portland transferring to, say, Lincoln.) At least that's what it looks like. I know California is very strict about that kind of stuff. Now it looks like he's going to yet another school (Serra HS), which just so happens to be the high school of the one and only Pooh Jeter!!! This kind of stuff (transferring schools) has become common with elite-level basketball players and I truly don't believe it's a cause for concern at all.

From everything I can tell, this kid is a real talent (played on national champ AAU teams) and an awesome get for our program. Plus, tapping into the LA talent pool is always nice. Way to go coaching staff!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

First Verbal of the 2010 Class: Keith Shamburger Empty Re: First Verbal of the 2010 Class: Keith Shamburger

Post by mattywizz Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Stonehouse wrote:(Imagine a kid from North Portland transferring to, say, Lincoln.)

Actually, I believe Lincoln is a magnet school, so you can do so as long as you are registered in that program, or whatever they call it. In fact, I went to grade school with a kid that lived in North Portland and transferred to Lincoln and played basketball. Booya!

Also, one of your links had Shamburger (great name) ranked 25. What exactly was that ranking of?
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

First Verbal of the 2010 Class: Keith Shamburger Empty Re: First Verbal of the 2010 Class: Keith Shamburger

Post by Rochin54 Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:52 pm

looks like someone's list (CaliHi?) of top 40 juniors in california. Perhaps just a forum of some sort?
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:53 pm

oh yea - looks like some great news!!
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Yeah... I know about the magnet schools. Actually, with the No Chile Left Behind stuff I think kids from Jefferson, Roosevelt, and Marshall can all transfer without any kind of complication. Was just using it as an example to illustrate the point. tongue

As for that ranking, I believe it was a Top 40 list of 2010 players from Southern California.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Woohoo! And we're off to the 2010 recruiting cycle.

Shamburger seems to be a good get, and hopefully has been under the radar a bit this past season due to the eligibility issues.

Welcome, Keith!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Stonehouse wrote: Actually, with the No Chile Left Behind stuff I think kids from Jefferson, Roosevelt, and Marshall can all transfer without any kind of complication.

Are you sure it's not because of the No Applebee left behind?

Mattywizz 2
Stonehouse 0

Booya!
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

First Verbal of the 2010 Class: Keith Shamburger Empty My advice: stay out of the fast food business

Post by wrv Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:57 pm

As many may recall, Wendy's ran an ad campaign, often repeated in political dog fights, in which an elderly woman continually asked "where's the beef . ..?" Mr. Shamburger may want to avoid taking summer employment there or at any self-respecting burger joint. The Commons beware. Can it really be true that we have a highlly regarded recruit named Shamburger?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:23 pm

It's nice to actually get something (although not a LOI, but still good to have SOMETHING) out of this recruit I've been hearing about for the last few months. Haha I actually just shot Pooh an email to see if he knows anything about this kid, hopefully he can confirm that he is indeed a player...

I mean if nothing else maybe Pooh can teach Keith his megawatt smile...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Ok, we are all going to have to be very careful about the space bar usage, otherwise we end up with a lot of KeithS hamburger. We don't want him getting overly heavy.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:38 pm

Yeah, it's great to have a verbal. He's listed as #18 on this list:

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/adidasjrphenomcamp2006.asp

Here he's listed at 5'9 (but that was 3 years ago in 2006); sounds like the heir apparent to Campbell in the future...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Nice to have a verbal for the future. Let's hope he signs a LOI.Competion for Eric,that will bring out the best in both of them......

Neutral

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:16 am

athleticjames wrote:Yeah, it's great to have a verbal. He's listed as #18 on this list:

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/adidasjrphenomcamp2006.asp

Here he's listed at 5'9 (but that was 3 years ago in 2006); sounds like the heir apparent to Campbell in the future...

They also have him listed as class of 2011...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Well, as many will remember, Shamburger turned out to be less of a TEAM guy and more of ME guy, and never signed with UP.

He started his college career at San Jose St. and has been the starting PG at Hawaii, but now with graduation upon him this spring, he'll be transferring to Missouri for yet another year and will be eligible immediately.  Rolling Eyes 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat May 10, 2014 9:16 pm

What I remember is he wasn't going to classes in HS and UP withdrew its offer.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:08 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Well, as many will remember, Shamburger turned out to be less of a TEAM guy and more of ME guy, and never signed with UP.

He started his college career at San Jose St. and has been the starting PG at Hawaii, but now with graduation upon him this spring, he'll be transferring to Missouri for yet another year and will be eligible immediately.  Rolling Eyes 
And the Shamburger college basketball saga finally comes to a close:
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down