Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots get a mention on ESPN.com

5 posters

Go down

Pilots get a mention on ESPN.com Empty Pilots get a mention on ESPN.com

Post by cjacks14 Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey everyone,

Just poking through ESPN.com and noticed a little comment by Andy Katz in his Weekly Watch.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=notebook/weeklywatch0914

Check out the "What to do with..." section under St. Marys. There is a little line where it seems Andy Katz may be edging at the fact we have a better resume than the Gaels. Does this mean we should get an at-large? Or am I being too hopeful? Lol. The fact that there is even an inkling of a thought this may happen is a sign of how far the Pilots have come.

Its nice to know people do actually notice what's going on up on the Bluff. Oh how things have changed...
cjacks14
cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Back to top Go down

Pilots get a mention on ESPN.com Empty Re: Pilots get a mention on ESPN.com

Post by PilotNut Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Great catch, jacks.

Do we have a better resume? I dont think so. But as you say, to even be getting these mentions.... what a difference the last 4 months makes... Very Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:53 pm

Haha the mention was the most begrudged backhanded praise possible... Probably to not offend his bosom buddy from Spokane...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by cjacks14 Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:05 pm

We may not have a better resume due to wins/losses but I think we had a much tougher schedule than St. Marys. Look at their major non-conf games: Oregon, Providence, Utah State, San Diego State, Kent State.

Look at ours: Washington, Oregon, BYU, Cal, Nevada (looks good on paper now they are 2nd in WAC)

You would have to say we had a tougher schedule. We did lose some games we should have won but overall we stack up pretty well against the Gaels. Especially considering we have a chance of finishing higher than them in conference. I'm not saying we will get in with the resume we have but i think we are worth a quick look. Which is a welcome change from the years past.

And i think we'll take any praise we can from those guys. But we know who gets preference in the WCC.
cjacks14
cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:15 pm

Although I doubt it will be taken into consideration: Consider what our record could be if Ethan had been healthy all year.

I'd guess we might have won against Northern Colorado, Oregon, and EWU. THAT would make our record considerably better (21-6).
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by cjacks14 Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:24 pm

That record plus a conf. tourney win would be close to a bid. That would have left us at about 24-7 (?) at the season end. You would have to think about us for post-season then. What a crazy thought.

At least i think we have a shot at the NIT this year. Especially if we finish with 20 wins and 2nd in the WCC. Probably even more of a shot if we get to the conf. tourney final.
cjacks14
cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:28 pm

No matter what, this year has to be considered a foundation for next year! We will be watched at the start of the season, and if we have continued success, we will be watched all next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:31 pm

up7587 wrote:No matter what, this year has to be considered a foundation for next year! We will be watched at the start of the season, and if we have continued success, we will be watched all next year.

ABSOLUTELY! The beauty of this is that we are graduating nobody and although I don't want to get ahead of myself and lose the excitement of this season's end, I am very excited to see what we are able to do next season.

Speaking of next season: I haven't heard too much about potential recruits. Has anybody heard anything about recruits?
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by cjacks14 Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:34 pm

I think we are all surprised at how fast the Pilots have risen. I feel like we all thought it could be another year or two away. Its a credit to Coach Rev and everyone involved.
cjacks14
cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:38 pm

cjacks14 wrote:I think we are all surprised at how fast the Pilots have risen. I feel like we all thought it could be another year or two away. Its a credit to Coach Rev and everyone involved.

That and the addition of a certain JUCO point guard...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by cjacks14 Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:41 pm

Thank god for the 3-point line... lol
cjacks14
cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:41 pm

And I am very interested to see that this fast rise is not followed by a fall. Sustained success is based on strong stable coaching and good recruiting. With TJ and Nik both being Jrs., adding more shooters is a recruiting priority. Anybody know where the next Jared is coming from?

Back to top Go down

Post by cjacks14 Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Surely they can find another skinny, white guy to bomb 3-balls all day! (No disrespect to Jared!)
cjacks14
cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Sorry, Jareds don't grow on trees. Not only is his shooting talent exceptional, but I appreciate how hard he is working to become a better defender so he can stay on the floor longer. A shooter does no good if the opponents outscore him at the other end, and Jared is contributing at both ends (at least to my amateur eye). It was kind of funny to watch him match up on Teel last night. He definitely is skinny! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:59 pm

He hasn't really gotten a chance to show it yet, but I remember hearing that the coaches were super impressed with Nemanja Mitrovic's shooting ability, saying he was one of the best shooters they saw while out recruiting. Perhaps our next great shooter is already on our bench! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by cjacks14 Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:22 pm

I really hope so because its a huge plus to have shooters that can change the game so quickly.
cjacks14
cjacks14
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Personally I'd look to the who the next PG is... Waterford has shown improvement, but after next year, he's the only one on the roster...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down