Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women's Professional Soccer Draft January 16

+5
DaTruRochin
onetouchfutbol
Auto Pilot
mattywizz
purple haze
9 posters

Go down

Women's Professional Soccer Draft January 16 Empty Women's Professional Soccer Draft January 16

Post by purple haze Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:03 pm

The FC Gold Pride (Bay Area) team, which drafted Christine Sinclair in the international draft round, has a poll on its home page, http://www.womensprosoccer.com/bayarea/default.aspx, asking fans which player the team should draft next. Vote for Megan Rapinoe!

Those following the birth of the new league should expect lots of news on Friday when WPS drafts another batch of players. This is from the league's Web site:
2009 WPS Draft Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:30am CST
Cervantes Convention Center/America's Center in St. Louis, Mo.

9:30am CST - Commissioner's Welcome
10:00am CST - Draft Begins

The 2009 WPS Draft on Friday, Jan. 16 is a 10-round draft that will take place at the NSCAA Convention in St. Louis, Mo. Players not attending the WPS Combines as well as combine participants can be drafted.

The selection order for the 2009 WPS Draft was determined via lottery with the following results:

1. Boston Breakers
2. Chicago Red Stars
3. Bay Area
4. Sky Blue FC
5. Los Angeles Sol
6. St. Louis
7. Washington Freedom

Fans can follow the 2009 WPS Draft online. View more information on the player selection process.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Women's Professional Soccer Draft January 16 Empty Re: Women's Professional Soccer Draft January 16

Post by mattywizz Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:30 am

So I went to the site to vote for Megan, which was tough because Brandi Chastain was a choice. But I did it anyway. Then since I am kind of have a lot of free time, checked the roster. Did anyone know that Christine Sinclair's hometown is 5'9"?
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Women's Professional Soccer Draft January 16 Empty Re: Women's Professional Soccer Draft January 16

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Sorry I can't vote for Megan to go to San Francisco I hope she gets drafted by LA so I can watch her play locally. And Matty truly was there any choice between Megan and Brandi? I mean I know Brandi has a cool sports bra and all but really..lol.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:40 pm

They must be timing the draft so that it's close to the same time as the MLS draft for exposure... I believe the Superdraft is the day before on 1/15/09...

It's great for the sport to see new young talent. I hope that the sponsorship and organization of the women's league is as good as it is now in the MLS. If it is, they'll be in good shape...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:34 am

mattywizz wrote:So I went to the site to vote for Megan, which was tough because Brandi Chastain was a choice.

Somehow Brandi slipped to #45... I suppose that would be a steal, even though she IS like 45...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:49 pm

You can see the full results here... I am going through it to see which Pilots were drafted.

http://twitter.com/womensprosoccer

First one I saw... Lisa Sari going to LA. with the 66th pick. Great for Auto Pilot, but I wonder what that means for our coaching staff. Hmmm...
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:51 pm

So she gets to play with Steph and Marta?? Nice!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:51 pm

Megan Rapinoe was the #2 overall pick. WOW!!! Going to Chicago.

Pretty amazing considering her injuries and the really, really good player taken after her. Proves that these WPS people know what we know about Rapinoe! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:17 pm

This about Lisa's future from a release after the draft by the UP:

"Sari was a four-year starting midfielder for the Pilots and helped the team to an undefeated 2005 NCAA Championship run. She scored 10 goals with 15 assists in a holding midfield role for Portland. Sari has spent the past two seasons as an assistant coach with the Pilots and will continue that role while playing professionally."
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:43 pm

I believe Michelle French also was selected, under the mistaken name Mele French. #60 in the draft.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:15 am

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:I believe Michelle French also was selected, under the mistaken name Mele French. #60 in the draft.

wrong French. Not our girl.

- From the Sky blue website-

Ninth Round (60th overall)
Mele French – Forward
Hometown: Mililani, HI
College: University of Oregon
Born: June 15, 1984

More About Mele:
• Played for the USASA National Team in 2008
• Leading scorer for Oregon in 2002 and 2003
• Played for the Pali Blues and captured the W-League Championship in 2008
• Selected as the Hawaii High School Co-Player of the Year

According to Ian Sawyers: “Mele will give Sky Blue FC some additional depth on the forward line. She has good size and uses her body well under pressure. Her work ethic has been a huge part of her success.”

According to Mele: “The draft started at 5:30 a.m. [Hawaii time] When I got the news, I was pacing around the room like a lost child. I got so many calls from the amazing supporters and people in my life. Ian called me right away and I knew it was real. I was speechless and overwhelmed. It’s the greatest feeling I’ve ever had.”
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:56 pm

This is as good a thread as any: Tiff Milbrett will be at the 28 player camp for the FC Gold Pride (Bay Area team playing at SCU's Buck Shaw stadium), the same team that has signing rights to Christine Sinclair: http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid8976.aspx?team=stlouis

(Don't ask me why this is on the St. Louis Athletica webpage. It's not on the FC Gold Pride webpage yet.)
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:46 pm

Go Tiffeny! Milbrett is so much better than some of the players who went in the bottom of the WPS draft. It's really unbelievable, but, I guess she is getting older... I see her smoking the competition.

Goal Celebration!
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:49 pm

athleticjames wrote:Go Tiffeny! Milbrett is so much better than some of the players who went in the bottom of the WPS draft. It's really unbelievable, but, I guess she is getting older... I see her smoking the competition.

Goal Celebration!

what you said...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Any team that can field Tiff AND Christine in the same front line definitely has a chance to win...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:00 pm

A_Fan wrote:This about Lisa's future from a release after the draft by the UP:

"Sari was a four-year starting midfielder for the Pilots and helped the team to an undefeated 2005 NCAA Championship run. She scored 10 goals with 15 assists in a holding midfield role for Portland. Sari has spent the past two seasons as an assistant coach with the Pilots and will continue that role while playing professionally."

Sorry i totally over looked the part of the quote about her staying on as assistant to UP while playing pro. I don't know how the schedules fits but that is a huge plus as we are net loss one asistant at this point instead of two.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:56 pm

According to this, the season is done by August 22nd:
http://www.womensprosoccer.com/2009-schedule.aspx

So while she may miss the summer sessions and whatnot, she would be available to coach/recruit during the entire fall. I'd say its pretty feasible that she can effectively coach and still mantain a successful pro career. Plus having a pro on the staff can't hurt recruiting...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:32 am

Plus she is playing with some pretty experienced international players. I'm sure she will pick up a lot of god tips from them that will be passed down to the Pilots. I don't really see much of a downside to her being a player/coach.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Women's Professional Soccer Draft January 16 Empty Lisa Sari

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:52 pm

The LA team played the Bay Area team in a "friendly" today. LA won, 2-0. Apparently, many players certain to make the teams' rosters did not play. Rather, it was a chance for the coaches to see the players they are looking at for inclusion on the rosters play in a game situation. Here's a comment from a LA fan who was at the game on which of the LA players looked good:

"Players that stood out for me were Brittany Bock, Camille Abily, Aya Miyama, Greer Barnes but especially Lisa Sari and Allison Falk. They did an excellent job in the back line."
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:58 pm

Haha so I wonder if Lisa will be able to recruit while she's playing... I'd say a pretty convincing argument to go to UP would be a player to be able to watch a game, and point out "Yeah.... She's gonna be my coach" Twisted Evil
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down