Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bowl Season - what will you watch?

+5
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
Stonehouse
mattywizz
Rochin54
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bowl Season - what will you watch? Empty Bowl Season - what will you watch?

Post by Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:19 am

With 30-something bowls coming up, which games other than the local schools will draw your attention? Perhaps the train wreck that is Notre Dame? I think not on Christmas Eve. Is Boise State for real? Will LSU (defending champ?!) continue to lose? Will Alabama have any interest in playing Utah? Will tOSU continue their trend of getting blown out in BCS bowls? Will any fans follow Mizzou and Northwestern to the Alamo Bowl? Will BC or Vanderbilt win the Brain Bowl?

Me, I'll watch too many of them. Couch Potato But I think the Poinsettia, Chick-fil-A, Rose, and Cotton, as well as the Sun and Holiday will be on my list.

Last edited by up7587 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Bowl Season - what will you watch? Empty Re: Bowl Season - what will you watch?

Post by Rochin54 Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:19 am

Sun and Holiday are obvious ones - I actually think the Holiday is one of the more intrguing matchups of the whole bowl season. Of the BCS games, I'm really only interested in the Rose and title game. Couldn't care less about tOSU. Perhaps I'll watch the first five minutes to see them get down by 28, but I might just wait to read about it the next day.

Yea, the Hawaii Bowl being on Christmas Eve, at 5 pacific no less, is not good timing. The only interest there is to see if they can actually win a bbowl game. If they don't........wow, there will be some very upset people around this neck of the woods.

The other two that I may make an effort to see are the poinsettia and chick-fil-a bowls. The Poinsettia gets two top 11 teams, while the chick-fil-a gets Paul Johnson and Georgia Tech trying to ramble over the bayou begals, who have looked quite unimpressive this season.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:38 am

My DVR is set to record on December 28th at 7:15 local time. There is no way I am going to miss the Independence Bowl matching up Northern Illinois and Louisiana Tech. If I watch only one bowl game this year, it will be that one.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:55 am

I really think Northern Illinois looks good in that one. Go Huskies!

But I don't know... the magicJack St. Petersberg Bowl sounds pretty good... Memphis v South Florida.

Can anyone tell me what or who magicJack is?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:04 am

Stonehouse wrote:
Can anyone tell me what or who magicJack is?

It has nothing to do with a Giant or a beanstalk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagicJack
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:57 pm

I personally am going to watch my dog's bowl... crying and hoping for brighter days to come
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:14 pm

This should cheer you up

Bowl Season - what will you watch? Pictur31
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:20 pm

Pac-10 is 5-0 on college bowl games. When, when will the rest of the country realize that we can be very competitive. You don't need a cornfield next to your house or reside in Texas to be good.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:31 pm

Are you kidding me that the Orange Bowl is not on TV? ESPN is airing poker instead of the Orange Bowl? WTF?!?! confused

I am already bitter about how the bowl games have been spread out over the first half of January.... Crying or Very sad

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:00 pm

Orange Bowl is on Fox!

But I agree about the spreading out of the games. They should be finished today! Otherwise I'll never accomplish anything. Couch Potato

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:04 pm

Oh, there it is.... I thought I was going crazy.... I didnt see it on the listings, but who ever looks at Fox for games? Wink

All the bowl games should be finished today.... but I could probably be convinced to have the NC game the day after New Year's... but no other games! Wink

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:10 pm

The Cotton, Sugar, Fiesta and BCS are all on Fox this year! Still a few good games. I have Friday off work, so can watch. But both the Fiesta and BCS kick off at 5:00 pm PST on a work day. Hard to get home in time for that. Seems dumb to me. Beating a Dead Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Stretching out the bowls for a week after January 1st just doesn't feel right to me. Neither does a network that covers exactly zero college games in the regular season broadcasting the biggest bowl games (I'm talking about the big Fox, not the regional FSNs).

With its compelling Cincinnati-Virginia Tech matchup, the Orange Bowl is not doing it for me this year.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:33 pm

I will add that the whole naming rights thing is getting way out of hand.... now its the "Company X" Gator Bowl Presented by "Company Y" and the "Company Z" Halftime Show, "Company W" First & 10 line.... Come on; enough is enough...

Rant

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:56 pm

I agree that commercialization in the name of things has gone awry. Its fine with me to have sponsors that is the American way. But they should be limited to commercials and signs in the backround. Having a Koolaid Kick of the game is stupid and detracks from the game.

Where is the NCAA in all of this. Right in someones pocket. Its a disgrace.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:16 pm

PilotNut wrote:I will add that the whole naming rights thing is getting way out of hand.... now its the "Company X" Gator Bowl Presented by "Company Y" and the "Company Z" Halftime Show, "Company W" First & 10 line.... Come on; enough is enough...

Rant
Even better is when the name of the bowl is now the sponsor itself. No more Citrus Bowl--it's the Capitol One Bowl. Likewise the Peach Bowl is now the Chick-Fil-A Bowl. Mad

Of course, the NCAA does not have companies that sponsor them. A few "Corporate Champions," sure... Rolling Eyes
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:47 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Stretching out the bowls for a week after January 1st just doesn't feel right to me. Neither does a network that covers exactly zero college games in the regular season broadcasting the biggest bowl games (I'm talking about the big Fox, not the regional FSNs).

With its compelling Cincinnati-Virginia Tech matchup, the Orange Bowl is not doing it for me this year.

Yeah, that's not such a compelling matchup at all. As much as I'd like to see things end around January 1st, I'm more interested in a tourney...which will probably never ever happen due to the politics of college football. College football would be a lot more fun with a few good cinderella stories instead of tiresome arguments about who should be playing who in the BCS. Seeing Boise State go on a nice mid-major run in a tourney would be interesting...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:39 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
Even better is when the name of the bowl is now the sponsor itself. No more Citrus Bowl--it's the Capitol One Bowl. Likewise the Peach Bowl is now the Chick-Fil-A Bowl. Mad

So next year the Cotton Bowl won't even be played in the Cotton Bowl stadium. What will it be called then? affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:46 am

up7587 wrote: But both the Fiesta and BCS kick off at 5:00 pm PST on a work day. Hard to get home in time for that. Seems dumb to me. Beating a Dead Horse

After living on the West Coast most of my life and now in the Central Time Zone for three years I will tell you this. Be thankful that the games start at 5pm local time. I would much rather miss the start of the game than fall asleep at halftime (granted I rarely got home after five and had to be up by 3:45am). Besides, that is what DVR is for. I love to record a game, start watching an hour later, skip all the commercials, and still finish the game at the same time as everyone else who wasted the first hour of the game so that they could see the commercials.

Unfortunately this bowl season I do not have my DirecTV installed, all I can pick up on my rabbit ears is CBS, sometimes without sound. Needless to say, I have been giving Buffalo Wild Wings a lot of business this past week. But I did get to watch the Beavers anhilate the Pitt Panthers from the comfort of my own home!
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:38 am

Could be worse, Matty. Have you heard that DirecTV subscribers in Portland don't get KATU (ABC) anymore? Those people couldn't watch the Rose Bowl from their own homes yesterday.

And I love being out west. I can't imagine staying up until midnight to watch a football game.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:50 pm

up7587 wrote:
PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:

So next year the Cotton Bowl won't even be played in the Cotton Bowl stadium. What will it be called then? affraid

They might take a que from Prince and call it the "Bowl Game Formerly Known as the Cottonbowl" or the $ Bowl.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:07 pm

I forgot to point out that the Pac-10 finished the year a perfect 5-0 in bowl games. Good luck getting the geniuses on TV to stop drooling over the SEC long enough to talk about the teams out west.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:12 pm

PPT I don't know if you got to watch Brent Mushberger commentate on the Rosebowl yesterday but they made a big deal out of the Pac10 going five and 0. I was in agreement, but thought USC was its usual obnoxious self Yesterday in giving Penn State the beat down. All the Trojans lack is a little humility which would be nice for a change.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Yes, okay, I remember that. They also showed USC's pre-game interpretive dance routine and talked about how "loose" the Trojans are. Rolling Eyes

Musberger also asked how many watching would like to see USC play the OU-Fla winner. As much as I can't stand him, Pete Carroll may have been right when he said USC could beat anybody. Too bad we won't ever know.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:20 pm

USC, humility? Razz Maybe when Pete Carroll leaves. I think in their minds the Ted Tollner and Paul Hackett eras "never happened". Suspect

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next