Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UP Fans

+11
Rob's Jacket
Auto Pilot
PurplePrideTrumpet
DaTruRochin
Rochin54
Stonehouse
mattywizz
MesaPilot1
onetouchfutbol
PilotNut
DTLegend
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

UP Fans - Page 2 Empty Re: UP Fans

Post by Stonehouse Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:46 pm

mensbballfan... you can feel free to do whatever you want, and I think choosing to sit elsewhere if you don't want to stand is probably best for you.

But sorry... the students should stand for the whole game and cheer during pretty much every possession. See just about every other student section in the country for examples of such. If only you could have been around in 2004-05... the student section was overflowing with students, all standing, all wearing matching purple shirts, all cheering together... and that's the way it should be.

If some kids just want to relax and watch the game, fine. Don't sit in the student section. But definitely don't hate on the guys that are trying their best to make the Chiles Center a tough environment for opponents to play in.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mensbballfan Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:53 pm

I completely agree that it would be great to have everyone full-heartedly supporting our teams, regardless of what sport, since I know we have the spirit and the potential--in both the athletes and the students. I guess where I am coming from is to not scare away the budding supporters (or those established).

For the record, positivity is what we want so the heckling at our Purple Pride leaders is not what I am condoning. Perhaps they could sit in the 2nd row and let slightly-less vociferous (but still intensely passionate) folks like me in the front or the sides? That way they can still lead cheering in a pack close to the floor, encourage those behind them to stand, and include every type of student-supporter in a giant mass of purple. And personally, I vote we institute a BYU-like chant with all four sides...talk about creating a tough environment!

mensbballfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Rob's Jacket wrote: And as much as I love the older alumni - no disrespect to Geezer - they're not going to bring the noise. The students are going to bring the noise.

You haven't picked me out in the crowd, have you? Very Happy I don't think I've ever been accused of reserve.... I hand out ear plugs at the soccer games.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11812
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:06 am

Purplegeezer wrote:
Rob's Jacket wrote: And as much as I love the older alumni - no disrespect to Geezer - they're not going to bring the noise. The students are going to bring the noise.

You haven't picked me out in the crowd, have you? Very Happy I don't think I've ever been accused of reserve.... I hand out ear plugs at the soccer games.

I know you bring the noise Geez. I was just trying to avoid lumping you in with the rest! Very Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:48 am

It seems like the benchmark for fan participation should be teams like Gonzaga or Davidson or successful mid majors. But, honestly, we have to get real and realize that those teams have players who have been on Sportscenter dunking or stroking threes like Pargo and Curry, and we do not. In the short term, here is a goal: get more fans to attend the U of O game than came to the UW game so that when we upset the Ducks people can really start to get behind the team for the WCC season.

I like the idea of a two-way or three way chant in the Chiles Center. If it was a three way, we have three two syllable words that fans could yell out:

PUUUUUUUUUR-------PLE
POOOOOOORT--------LAAAAAAAAAAAAND
PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII---------LOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS!

Something like that. My 2 cents.

I'm waiting. . .
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:46 pm

BYU-like??

The first row... sitting?? (Sitting is for the Staples Center....)

No... seriously... i think my head just exploded. Someone get me a beer.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:09 pm

I've never attended a game at BYU to even know what their cheers are like, but, when I think of great basketball schools, they don't exactly come to mind....neither does Southern Methodist for that matter. LOL. I think I need a beer too and it's only Monday.

Give me Beer!
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by mensbballfan Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Okay, I give up my attempt! I guess things are done they way they are for a reason--sorry for the monday alcoholism I have induced!

mensbballfan
Recruit
Recruit

Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:57 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:The first row... sitting?? (Sitting is for the Staples Center....)

A truer statement never was said.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:26 pm

athleticjames wrote:I've never attended a game at BYU to even know what their cheers are like, but, when I think of great basketball schools, they don't exactly come to mind....neither does Southern Methodist for that matter. LOL. I think I need a beer too and it's only Monday.

Give me Beer!

A reference to last year's game when BYU fans invaded the Chiles Center like the Zags. They started a cheer that went around the arena.

No need to apologize, bballfan--I know I've looked for reasons to have a pint myself!
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:48 pm

get more fans to attend the U of O game than came to the UW game so that when we upset the Ducks people can really start to get behind the team for the WCC season

I sure hope we can get that many Pilot fans at the U of O game - it's down in Eugene this year. As it is Mac Court's final year (I believe), this will likely be the last Pilot game in that venerable arena. I plan on making the trip down and I hope we can fill a few sections with purple!
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:09 pm

I checked Autzen off my list, but I really would like to get down there, so I'm seriously thinking about it.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by romeaux Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:16 pm

could it be they're just embarrassed by the antics of the purple-haired one? Now there's a band leader who needs some counseling! Embarassed
romeaux
romeaux
Recruit
Recruit

Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:27 pm

romeaux wrote:could it be they're just embarrassed by the antics of the purple-haired one? Now there's a band leader who needs some counseling! Embarassed

Hey a**hole... not only was Dr. C's act awesome and one of the few bright spots of being a Pilot basketball fan over the past 20 years, but he passed away earlier this year. Have a little respect.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:31 pm

And the insensitive post of the year goes to.....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:37 pm

Hmmm, yes a strong leading candidate for worst post of the year overall.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:40 pm

haha nice censoring on Stoney's post.... Although i thought the uncut version was deserved...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:13 pm

What? Censoring? I don't know what you're talking about. Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:08 pm

Really? Nine whole posts in nearly a year and at least two of them about how you don't like Dr. C? If that's all you have to say you can *&^% off back to whatever hole you crawled out of.

If you were a real Pilot fan, or you visited this board regularly you would have known better. Or maybe you have been visiting and lurking, which would be even worse, because then the only conclusion to be made is that you are a troll.

Well, fellas, I guess some people are going to say whatever they want. I will close with something Phil said in a newspaper interview:

"I decided life was too short to do something I didn't enjoy."

Words for everyone to live by.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:25 pm

VillaGorilla wrote:
I sure hope we can get that many Pilot fans at the U of O game - it's down in Eugene this year. As it is Mac Court's final year (I believe), this will likely be the last Pilot game in that venerable arena. I plan on making the trip down and I hope we can fill a few sections with purple!
Not quite. It's scheduled to open for the 2011 conference season. If the series continues like it has, the Ducks will be down here in 09-10 and the Pilots will go to Eugene in 2010 before the new arena opens.

It was also announced today that the new arena will be named after Matthew Knight, the Knights' late son. See http://www.godunks.net for more.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:41 pm

Stonehouse wrote:
romeaux wrote:could it be they're just embarrassed by the antics of the purple-haired one? Now there's a band leader who needs some counseling! Embarassed

Hey a**hole... not only was Dr. C's act awesome and one of the few bright spots of being a Pilot basketball fan over the past 20 years, but he passed away earlier this year. Have a little respect.

Seriously, Dr. C. has been around forever. If we had more fans like him, Chiles would be a better place to see a game. The campus Health Center does offer services for those who have a problem with Dr. C.

Mad
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2