Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garrett Talks About Next Season

+9
GUPhantom
Geezaldinho
harryb
Harry Redknapp
Poopdeck Pappy
PurplePrideTrumpet
ohhh_yeah
Auto Pilot
Stonehouse
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Garrett Talks About Next Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Garrett Talks About Next Season

Post by fan from afar Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:50 am

- - - which is the same situation our three U20's were in this season. It really is too bad that the powers that be can't get schedules coordinated a little better.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Garrett Talks About Next Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Garrett Talks About Next Season

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:01 pm

I agree that it's a bummer that the U-20 gig overlapped with our season. However, I doubt if we will ever see an international FIFA event that lines up with our college season, except for blind luck. I'm guessing that FIFA has too many other things to consider in their deliberations about scheduling than to be concerned with U.S. college soccer.
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:28 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there will only be a conflict when it's being hosted in the Southern Hemisphere, right? Didn't this happen in November so it would coincide with summer down there? Something tells me they wouldn't host this in the US or Europe or Korea or wherever in winter time.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:15 pm

Yes, it's summer down there, and it's probably in between the two halves of the domestic season so the stadiums are available, since most Latin countries play their leagues in two halves.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:23 pm

The year ending professional (Clausura) season ended about three weeks ago. The games are scheduled for now so that they don't take place over the xmas season. No one in Chile would go then. That's a big family time there.

After that, it would be way too hot, and then the opening (aperatura) season starts.

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:25 pm

The U-23 will have the annual Nordic cup again this year but it will be in the summer so it won't affect any college player's. I have no heard any talk of a u-23 world cup although they are due for one. The 17s and the 20s, obviously are set for a couple years now.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:50 pm

I don't recall the U23's having a world cup in the last 5 or 6 years or so. I sort of assumed that maybe not every country has an U23 club.

Anyone know for sure? I'm old! ---> U103 club
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:52 pm

Thats very possible FANatic.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:56 pm

Joseph Blatter said Last Spring the eventual goal for teams is to have World Cups at the school (u17), College (u20) University (u23) and the full World Cup.

But that is a long term goal, and I don't think they will do u23 until there are enough teams to justify it for the Olympics Like the men do.

There are no u23 Women's World cups on the schedule, which goes through 2012.

I think they also want more Women's full teams for the World Cup.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2