Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey?

+13
decrink
Stonehouse
KFTC
A_Fan
PurplePrideTrumpet
Rochin54
DaTruRochin
ohhh_yeah
Auto Pilot
SoreKnees
PilotDrummer
aleppiek
Trenchcoat Wally
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey? Empty NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey?

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:57 pm

Back in the early days of Ritmo Piloto/ The Villa Drum Squad; I remember being told that drumming is NOT allowed at playoff games. I can understand the NCAA power committee trying to keep it as neutral as possible but... come on, this is soccer! Do bands play at college Football Bowl games accidentally play during plays? Does a band playing at a college basketball playoff game timeout have any influence on the opposing team? I would think so. Funny how there is no rules about shouting through bullhorns at players, possibly distracting them but someone can't hit a drum or bang a cowbell. I wonder if the events staff is prepared to apprehend any rogue cow bell players?

I have always wanted to read the NCAA rule on this. Does anyone have access to the wording of the official rule?
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey? Empty Re: NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey?

Post by aleppiek Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:01 pm

I believe that the rule pertains to "artificial noise makers" which... I would think that the university could sanction them as a "pep band" and skirt that rule.

I would actually think the megaphone would fit into this rule more precisely.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey? Empty Re: NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey?

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:20 pm

The rule specifically applies to "artificial noise makers," as aleppiek stated. The rule for soccer is different than the rules for basketball and football. For basketball, we (the band) can't play whenever we want to. Can't play DURING play, only during timeouts and the like. I've yet to see a college bowl game or NCAA tournament basketball game where one of the bands plays "by accident."

Villa, in the past, has gotten around the "no drumming" rule by playing only during a stoppage of the game (a goal, or something). Only way they really get away with it is that they know if they screw it up Athletics will send Public Safety after them. A few years ago they tried to circumvent the rules by leaving the stadium and drumming while standing on the sidewalk behind the goal. That got stopped rather quickly. In 2002 at Stanford, the Stanford folks took the drums away from Villa before they got into the stadium and held on to them until after the game.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Are the metal bleachers considered "artificial noise makers"? We can make a lot of noise with them. Smile
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:33 pm

Right from the rule book (http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/soccer/2008/1_wsoccer_handbook.pdf):

Cheerleaders, Mascots, Bands and Banners
Cheerleaders and/or spirit team members, not to exceed 12 in number plus the mascot, shall be admitted, if in uniform, via the gate list furnished to the host institution by the competing institution’s director of athletics; all other institutional representatives will be admitted only on presentation of a ticket.
A maximum of 12 cheerleaders and/or spirit team members shall be allowed on the field during the progress of the game. The cheerleaders shall be stationed opposite their respective institution’s playing area designated by the tournament manager.
Cheerleading squads should be located in the end zone or sideline area outside of the playing surface on the end of the field where their respective teams are located. It is ideal if this area is barricaded from the field. At no point should the cheerleaders enter the area behind the goals.
Band members, not to exceed 25 in number, who are in uniform and performing at the championship, will not be charged admission to the competition. Bands, or any component thereof, are allowed to play during timeouts, between games, and before and after the competition.
All cheerleading squads must conform to the guidelines set by the American Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Advisors (AACCA). Neither the NCAA nor the host institution shall be responsible for supervising or monitoring routines performed by cheerleaders at championship events. Except as noted in this section, supervision of cheerleading squads, their activities, yells and stunts is solely the participating institution’s responsibility. The participating institution shall ensure that the squad has sufficient training, supervision and equipment for any and all routines its squad may choose to perform. Tournament managers must inform participating institutions if the host facility has more stringent requirements. If so, the director of athletics at each institution must apprise his or her cheerleading squad of such requirements and ensure compliance. The cheerleading squad is allowed to carry an institutional flag, but it may only be displayed during the respective teams’ timeout or between games. It cannot be used to taunt competitors or block spectator’s view.
The use of trampolines, stunts more than two persons high, “basket tosses” and cheerleader flips is not permitted. Tournament managers must inform participants if the host facility has more stringent restrictions, which shall be applied. If necessary, the director of athletics at each institution shall be asked to apprise the appropriate individuals of this policy and ensure their cooperation.
The display of banners is subject to the approval of the games committee.

Last edited by PilotDrummer on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:34 pm

SoreKnees wrote:Are the metal bleachers considered "artificial noise makers"? We can make a lot of noise with them. Smile

Yes- Therefore all bleachers will be removed from Merlo Field. All fans will be placed in large plastic gerbil balls where no sound can escape. Sort of like 'The cone of silence' from Get Smart.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:34 pm

UCLA took away Villa's drums last year. I thought it was a "homer" thing until I was advised on this board that the drums were not allowed during the playoffs. We need some of those "hidden" outdoor wireless speakers that look like rocks scattered around the field and "pipe" the drums in from a remote location. They would never know what hit em.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:36 pm

Also from the rulebook (http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/general/2008-09/1_General.pdf):

Artificial Noisemakers. Artificial noisemakers, air horns and electronic amplifiers shall not be permitted, and such instruments shall be removed from the playing and spectator areas. Bands, or any component thereof, shall not play while the game is in progress. The tournament manager shall be responsible for enforcing these provisions.

Guess those rock speakers won't work either.

Last edited by PilotDrummer on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:38 pm

Guess there won't be beer in the Pilot Club, either:

Tobacco Products and Alcoholic Beverages.
Alcoholic beverages and tobacco products shall not be sold or otherwise made available for public consumption at any championship event sponsored by or administered by the Association, nor shall any such beverages or products be brought to the site during the championship (i.e., during the period from the time access to the site is available to spectators until all patrons have left the facility or area used for competition).
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:41 pm

The use of trampolines, stunts more than two persons high, “basket tosses” and cheerleader flips is not permitted.

Rats- I was looking forward to a 'Tripple Lindy leap' from the Chiles Center to the field after we score.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:42 pm

OOOO cone of silence
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:44 pm

PilotDrummer wrote:

How would I go about contacting them?

Last edited by ohhh_yeah on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:44 pm

Trenchcoat Wally wrote:
The use of trampolines, stunts more than two persons high, “basket tosses” and cheerleader flips is not permitted.

Rats- I was looking forward to a 'Tripple Lindy leap' from the Chiles Center to the field after we score.
Wonder if it also means I can't set of my car alarm after a Pilot goal......
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:46 pm

ohhh_yeah wrote:
PilotDrummer wrote:
Not sure. I'd probably "just do it" and apologize if you're in the wrong. Big banner like the SCU game planned?
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Bring Little Aleppiek. He looks like a real noise maker.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:48 pm

PilotDrummer wrote:
ohhh_yeah wrote:
PilotDrummer wrote:
Not sure. I'd probably "just do it" and apologize if you're in the wrong. Big banner like the SCU game planned?

at least 2 of them...
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:49 pm

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:54 pm

There is only one real way for the NCAA to keep fans quiet:
NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey? Pp-soccer
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:56 pm

Is that the sound of silence, DaTruRochin?
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Only if Simon and Garfunkel were playing over the loudspeakers...

DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:04 pm

xxx

Last edited by ohhh_yeah on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:Bring Little Aleppiek. He looks like a real noise maker.

Usually he isn't but after his immunizations yesterday he was a bit more "vocal" if you will. Hopefully he is feeling better this evening.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:13 pm

wow....just wow DTR
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:17 pm

Yeah that was borderline NSFW.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:22 pm

Speaking of cheerleaders and mascots, does anyone else remember Notre Dame bringing that annoying little leprechaun twerp to Merlo many years ago? Perhaps it was to the Final Four. I don't I've ever been so annoyed by an opponent...
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next