Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OFFICIAL SCHEDULE RELEASED!

+3
Rochin54
PilotNut
Stonehouse
7 posters

Go down

OFFICIAL SCHEDULE RELEASED! Empty OFFICIAL SCHEDULE RELEASED!

Post by Stonehouse Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:53 am

Here it is!!!

http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/mbball/schedules/index.asp

10/31/2007 Western Oregon (exhibition) (Chiles Center) 7:00 PM

11/9/2007 - 11/11/2007 at World Vision Classic (Fresno, Calif.) All Day

11/9/2007 at Fresno State (Fresno, Calif.) TBA

11/10/2007 vs. San Diego State (Fresno, Calif.) TBA

11/11/2007 vs. Liberty (Fresno, Calif.) 1:00 PM

11/17/2007 Oregon (Chiles Center) 7:00 PM

11/24/2007 vs. Idaho State (Corvallis, Ore.) 4:00 PM

11/25/2007 at Oregon State (Corvallis, Ore.) 3:00 PM

11/28/2007 Portland State (Chiles Center) 7:00 PM

12/1/2007 Brigham Young (Chiles Center) 7:00 PM

12/7/2007 at Montana (Missoula, Mont.) 6:00 PM

12/15/2007 at Washington (Seattle, Wash.) TBA

12/17/2007 at Eastern Washington (Cheney, Wash.) TBA

12/21/2007 Northern Colorado (Chiles Center) 7:00 PM

12/29/2007 Cascade College (Chiles Center) TBA

1/2/2008 at Yale (New Haven, Conn.) 4:00 PM

1/5/2008 at Army (West Point, N.Y.) 10:00 AM

1/12/2008 at PEPPERDINE (MALIBU, CALIF.) 7:00 PM

1/14/2008 at LOYOLA MARYMOUNT (LOS ANGELES, CALIF.) 8:00 PM

1/19/2008 SAN FRANCISCO (CHILES CENTER) 7:00 PM

1/21/2008 SAN DIEGO (CHILES CENTER) 7:00 PM

1/25/2007 CS Bakersfield (Chiles Center) 7:00 PM

1/28/2007 at GONZAGA (SPOKANE, WASH.) TBA

2/2/2008 at SAINT MARY'S (MORAGA, CALIF.) 7:00 PM

2/4/2008 at SANTA CLARA (SANTA CLARA, CALIF.) 8:00 PM

2/9/2008 LOYOLA MARYMOUNT (CHILES CENTER) 7:00 PM

2/11/2008 PEPPERDINE (CHILES CENTER) 7:00 PM

2/16/2008 at SAN DIEGO (SAN DIEGO, CALIF.) 7:00 PM

2/18/2008 at SAN FRANCISCO (SAN FRANCISCO, CALIF.) 7:00 PM

2/25/2008 GONZAGA (CHILES CENTER) 8:00 PM

3/1/2008 SANTA CLARA (CHILES CENTER) 7:00 PM

3/3/2008 SAINT MARY'S (CHILES CENTER) 7:00 PM
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

OFFICIAL SCHEDULE RELEASED! Empty Re: OFFICIAL SCHEDULE RELEASED!

Post by Stonehouse Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm

OK... I've had a bit of time to eat/think about this schedule.

First things first, I really like it. I think everyone did a nice job putting this one together and I'm really happy to see that the traditional series with Oregon is being kept up.

I like it mainly because we have a marquee non-conference home game (Brigham Young) outside of the usual Oregon/Oregon State ones, we have a few tough road games but not a totally murderous road schedule like last year, and there seems to be an absense of total cupcakes (except for Cascade... more on that later). The team will be challenged right from the get-go against Fresno State and San Diego State, but I think there are a lot of opportunities to win some games in the early going, which I think will be important for our young team.

Another cool thing - almost all the non-conference home games are either on Friday or Saturday nights. Great job scheduling there! With the new student group being formed, it is SOOOOO important that the momentum can get started on weekend nights. I'm very, very pleased about that. As near as I can tell, only the Portland State game (a Wednesday) isn't on a weekend night, which is terrific for us and for students.

I also like that the WCC schedule is back-loaded with home games... five out of the last seven games of the season are in the Chiles Center, which should hopefully help the team have some momentum as they head into the WCC tournament. Hopefully the team will be peaking by then and have some confidence as they go to San Diego... how sweet would it be to end the season strong with a win over Santa Clara and a little payback against SMC?

I also think that east coast trip against Yale and Army is interesting... we haven't played in the North East since I don't remember when. Hopefully we'll get return games out of them... it would be fun to have the Elis and the West Pointers at the Chiles Center next year.

But I don't really get that game against Cascade. They did that last year too with a game against Lewis & Clark... I understand that they want to get a nice solid win in before going out east and then starting WCC play, but really. Cascade? At least play a team like Seattle U that is transitioning to D1.

But overall I really can't complain at all. Judging by the start times of the WCC games, it looks like we'll have at least three Big Monday games, one of them (GU) at home. I'm betting that the game at Gonzaga won't be Big Monday but will be on Fox Sports NW.

Wow... seeing this schedule gets me pumped for the season to start!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

OFFICIAL SCHEDULE RELEASED! Empty Agreed

Post by PilotNut Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:25 pm

I had very similar thoughts on the schedule, Stonehouse.

But why on earth is the first game on Halloween at 7pm? There goes the attendance for the home opener...

Given the choice of front loading or back loading WCC home games, I will take back loading every time.

I am going to miss the Oregon game. I knew I was taking a risk scheduling a flight that day... dang it. But I am going somewhere warm and sunny, so I cant complain too much... Cool

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:31 pm

Oh dear... didn't even catch that the first game is on Halloween. Shoot. But actually maybe that will be really fun for students... done the right way, I can see this being a successful event, especially since it's on a Wednesday night and most adults won't go to Halloween parties until the weekend.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:46 pm

First glance looks good. I know Goldie and I were holding out for a return game from ND. Really, I was hoping that we had signed up for a 2 for 1 with ND, and that the Pilots would be back in South Bend soon. Oh well.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

OFFICIAL SCHEDULE RELEASED! Empty next year?

Post by PilotNut Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:15 pm

A return game vs. ND in Chiles *next* season would be awesome... 2008-09 should be a strong year for the Pilots...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:42 pm

Man, I wish! But I think the chances of the Golden Domers heading out west are pretty slim.

I would like to think that the Holy Cross connection could get a deal done and that Larry and Fr. Bill would be able to pull some strings, but I think ND is run too much like a business for that to happen.

We could get them, but we'd have to pay them big time and probably host the game at the Rose Garden or Coliseum or something like that.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Here's the official release associated with it... some nice quotes from Coach Rev:

http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/mbball/release.asp?release_id=4429
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MJGoGaels Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:16 pm

Good schedule. Cascade - Don't ever put down a win. IF D-II they don't count against RPI, and no body remembers at the end of the season if the wins were against D-II competition, especially if the overal record is above .500.

Oregon at home... wonder if you have to return for 2? I will be keeping an eye on this one as the Gaels play the Ducks at home, too on November 20th. Run the crap out of 'em. A very thoughtful and hardworked schedule.
MJGoGaels
MJGoGaels
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Back to top Go down

OFFICIAL SCHEDULE RELEASED! Empty Pac-10 schools

Post by PilotNut Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:46 pm

We have been lucky with the Pac-10 teams... we have had home-and-homes with UO for many years, as well as OSU and WSU recently. Hopefully we get UW at home next year... bounce

I would love to see us play Stanford some time... Rev's former team.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

OFFICIAL SCHEDULE RELEASED! Empty Pac 10

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:05 pm

Game with the PAC 10 have always been home-and -home in the past.

We don't have to give the Ducks or Beavers, particularly, deals like that.

They want to play in Portland, since a good chunk of their fan base is here.

Duck games are always rockin' affairs--can't wait.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:43 pm

Checking out "oregon preps" today there is an item, that seems to state that Sim has not been able to pass the requirements of the Stanford addmissions dept. Goes on to say he will be chec king his options? Hopefully the Pilots will move higher on his list.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:51 pm

Nice NC schedule. Not too easy, not overly difficult - just about the right mix. In past years, it has either been too easy (recent years especially), and the team doesn't get a feel for how difficult conference play will be, or, it's been too loaded, and blew any early confidence.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:59 am

Maybe it's just me, but it really does seem like a lot of thought went into making this schedule. Like I said earlier, it's terrific that almost all of the non-conference home games are on Friday or Saturday nights. With the new student group starting up, that is going to be key toward building momentum heading into WCC play.

Beyond that... there is one one game during Dead Week and Finals Week, and it's at Washington, so not a long trip at all. Clear indication that care was given to not overload the guys during the most crucial part of the academic year.

And look closer, and early in the season the games are bunched together (three games at the World Vision Classic), then a week off. The Oregon game, then another week off before the two games at Oregon State. For a young team, I think that is exactly the way to do it. It gives lots of time for them to go over video to work on things and to really focus in practice on what the team is struggling with early on. I think it also gives us the best chance for success in that tough early part of the schedule... having ample time to prepare puts our team in the best position to win.

I seriously think that this schedule was put together carefully and intentionally to help the team out as much as possible. Kudos to the staff!!! And how nice is it to have a coaching staff that is smart enough to craft a schedule like this?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down